Just Curious, Are The Many In Dallas Looking For Partners

Business By libs Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 3:28pm by sylly

libs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
libs Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 29

Hi Im sorry if this is wrong to ask, or to post, but I dont know anyone around here, so ive got no one to ask and im fed up of just waiting to see if something good will fall into my lap. Ive just moved over here and was hoping to continue where I left off...running a business from home until I found out that Texas is one of those horrible places that just doesnt permit home baking!

Since opening a shop is out of the question, and since I rent I cant add a second kitchen to the property, to work from

So I was wondering is there someone who has actually managed to set something legal up, but needs some help to cope with orders or is looking for someone who could bring a different type of special occassion cakes to there growing business.

I just miss it so much, and would be happy working for someone in a shop, if I could just find someone.But the only place here requesting is walmart. AHHHHHH! Sorry its so long im just feed up of hitting my head against a brick wall all the time!

Thanks very much
have a nice day
LL

28 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 29

I am going to bump you .. Your cake is beautiful!!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 29

Bronwen is in Dallas--go see her. You would have a blast just getting to talk to her. She is too cool. Bronwen Weber at Frosted Art. She's called America's Favorite Cupcake. You could work for a Cupcake.

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 11:12pm
post #4 of 29

It really depends on the county you are in here in Texas. The county I am in couldn't care less if you are baking from home. Heck, the people from the health department order cakes from some of the unlicensed bakers here.

I do not do shows though. I don't want to upset the local bakeries - yet I know 2 of the owners of bakeries and they used to be home bakers too!

Harris County is pretty strict but unless someon turns you in to the health department you are ok.

I hope to have a legal kitchen next year and it is not because being afraid of being turned in...I just want a separate kitchen to work in besides my house!

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 11:16pm
post #5 of 29

What county are you in? Texas is pretty big. icon_biggrin.gif

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 29

Definitely contact Bronwen Weber.
http://www.frostedart.com/

She's a "cake celebrity," if such a thing exists. If you have the Food Network on your television and have ever watched one of the cake competitions, it's possible she was one of the contestants.

Even if she doesn't need help, you might get to meet a FN celebrity, and she might have some suggestions for other places to try.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 11:28pm
post #7 of 29

Oh, I am so looking for a business partner in Dallas, but someone who can pull their weight. (you, by the way, have awesome cakes!)
I just can't afford to open a shop by myself!

evaruggiero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evaruggiero Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 11:44pm
post #8 of 29

libs and summernoelle I hope you two get together and live out your dreams, your cakes are absolutely beatiful! I think this a great opportunity for the two of you!

Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 11:46pm
post #9 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

Oh, I am so looking for a business partner in Dallas, but someone who can pull their weight. (you, by the way, have awesome cakes!)
I just can't afford to open a shop by myself!

summernoelle, from looking at yours and libs cakes, you two would make an awesome team!!!! I'm in the Dallas area too so let me know when the Grand Opening happens and I'll toast you both thumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 11:47pm
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaruggiero

libs and summernoelle I hope you two get together and live out your dreams, your cakes are absolutely beatiful! I think this a great opportunity for the two of you!

Bronwen's loss!

wgoat5 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 11:50pm
post #11 of 29

I agree... you and Summer would pair up very well... icon_smile.gif

Awesome cakes you two!!!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 11:58pm
post #12 of 29

LOVELY cake...lemmee know if you move to oklahoma! LOL!

HEY THANX FOR POSTING BRONWIN'S SITE!

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 11:59pm
post #13 of 29
summernoelle Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:06am
post #14 of 29

hehehe. Thanks! Anyone else want to help me open a bakery? Please? We can all rent a space and split the cost. I already have one picked out! LOL

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:07am
post #15 of 29

[quote="k8memphis
Bronwen's loss![/quote]

Yep. Given both of their skills, this could be a celebrity cake pair in the making.

Gosh, don't you all feel like matchmakers? icon_biggrin.gif

summernoelle Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:07am
post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncr

[quote="k8memphis
Bronwen's loss!

Yep. Given both of their skills, this could be a celebrity cake pair in the making.

Gosh, don't you all feel like matchmakers? icon_biggrin.gif[/quote]

Ah. Maybe we'll end up on Challenege. icon_lol.gif

wgoat5 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:09am
post #17 of 29

I wanna do it icon_cry.gif

If I could just get underneath a wing of one of you great artists I might have a chance!!!!

summernoelle Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:11am
post #18 of 29

Christi, I keep telling you, MOVE DOWN HERE!

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:11am
post #19 of 29

I got to be in her sculpted clown class--way awesome. And I mean that's the way a class ought to be. You pay your money. She provided everything else Viola la la! And I mean you leave with the clown cake all done. Fantastic. Lunch is included. If anyone ever gets a chance take a class with her. You will not be sorry.

And Bonwen has so much personality--she was Chef-boy's (my son's) pastry teacher in Austin. He got in her last class at TX Culinary Academy. He really loved her as a teacher too.

wgoat5 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:15am
post #20 of 29

I have heard soooo much about her being a great teacher!!!

YES well I might be there.. ya got room for 5 more and 2 dogs Summer? icon_biggrin.gif

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:24am
post #21 of 29

I love both of your work boy could I learn from all of you

Molly2

summernoelle Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:42am
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

I have heard soooo much about her being a great teacher!!!

YES well I might be there.. ya got room for 5 more and 2 dogs Summer? icon_biggrin.gif

Nope-all rooms are filled and if my son has his way, there will be even another little one around here sometime soon. icon_confused.gif

But, there's an awesome foreclosed house down the street you could buy! thumbs_up.gif

wgoat5 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:53am
post #23 of 29

LOL well.. darnit

libs Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 3:47am
post #24 of 29

Hey, thanks all you guys....I live in Euless Dallas and I would love to share a shop with a partener but I just cant afford to pull my weight when it comes to fees and cost in owning a shop, Im still trying to find a job so that maybe I can afford to rent or do something.....it just seems since moving over here to Usa has put my dream further and further in the distance....I cant makeanby cakes from here at home at the moment, because I dont have much.... as im getting alot of my stuff shipped from england, shipped over and thats not even comming for another month.

I did Go and see Browen Weber, and she was really nice, but she didnt have anything available, she did give be some advice on where might be looking but none are apropriate for the moment, which is a shame.

still thankyou all so much something should turn around soon.

and I hope that other reply on here because I definatley think that this might help others too, even if Im not much help with offing finances, someone might find their ideal business partner, and start a great shop,

you all keep up the good work your GREAT! thumbs_up.gif

AND GOOD LUCK TO ANY ONE WHO STARTS UP THERE OWN SHOP

libs Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 4:17am
post #25 of 29

I would love to be a partner with summer, but I just dont have the money yet, she does awesome cakes....You go summer!
since ive only just moved over here, money just isnt on my side! I would just be happy working with a partner from home too! if only the stupid health persons would cut us all a brake down here,(dallas) and let us bake from home icon_cry.gif

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:18pm
post #26 of 29

Wouldn't it just be great if they changed the rules icon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:51pm
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by libby05

Wouldn't it just be great if they changed the rules icon_lol.gif

Yes and no.

My state of Tennessee did change the rules Jan '07 like KellyM's document says to facilitate farmer's market type baking which in turn opens the door for cakers in general. However it does not effect my county tapedshut.gif The county requirements haven't changed a bit. Commercial zoning. AND the HD shut down four home cakers here in the past year because two other cakers turned them in. The guppie effect, eat your neighbor. I mean I'd scream but nobody heard me the first 35 years.

Just being a drama-queen--I've been caking that long fpr 35 years, baking for 50 but I've only been trying to get seriously legal for like 20-ish. icon_lol.gif But I mean I've gotten to work for a lot of great people and several psychos.

sniff

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 3:15pm
post #28 of 29

I'm in PLano and in the same boat. SAHM with no money, but a dream. I am not in your league though in decorating. Maybe one day the money fairy will visit. I would love to work with another baker around here.

Stephanie

sylly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sylly Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 3:28pm
post #29 of 29

yeah, I am in Plano, too. I would love to be able to open a shop with someone (some people) and be able to move things ahead.
But it sounds like we are all pretty much in the same boat as far as money and means go right now.
From the looks of everyone's cakes that are interested, we could all be an awesome team! Seems like we all have a different touch to bring to the table icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%