Need Help Ideas For A Hawaiian Baby Shower Cake

Decorating By nthlgmz Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 12:38pm by kalida

nthlgmz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nthlgmz Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:31am
post #1 of 13

I need to make a cake for a luau baby shower and im not sure where to begin, any ideas would be a lot of help

12 replies
CulinaryActor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CulinaryActor Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:31am
post #2 of 13

Do a two tier and make the bottow hawaian with like a hawian skirt and some other neat hawaian stuff and the top tier make it more babyish but still keep the hawian theme! Maybe a baby with hawian clothes?

Good Luck

Marysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marysmom Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:58pm
post #3 of 13

Here's a pic I found that almost describes Culinary Actor's suggestion. This one, however, has a baby with a surfboard on top.
LL

nthlgmz Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:10am
post #4 of 13

Thanks, i was also thinking to do a pregnant belly cake and then put a hawaiian flowers on it, but i need to find a template so i can do it in fondant

bwonderful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwonderful Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 5:29am
post #5 of 13

I would do a large square cake with a "Grass" skirt of brown buttercream using the grass tip going down all the sides with a trim on top of little colorful flowers... then have a baby asleep in the middle of a big tropical flower in one corner and the words... Aloha Baby... going across the rest of the cake

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:23am
post #6 of 13

bwonderful's idea sounds perfect

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:30am
post #7 of 13

Here's my baby surfer cake.
LL

bwonderful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwonderful Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:40am
post #8 of 13

I love your wavy palm tree! great job!

I also like the surfing baby. Very cute idea.

peg91170 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg91170 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 8:37pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

Here's my baby surfer cake.

I LOVE your palm tree. How did you make that? I'm doing a Hawaiian birthday cake for a 9 year old next week and cannot figure out how to make a palm tree to go with the Lilo Hula dancer that's going on top. HELP!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:40am
post #10 of 13

Thanks! For the palm tree, first I molded gum paste around a dowel, with about 4" of the dowel left exposed at the bottom (to stick into the cake), and with the gum paste extending beyond the top of the dowel so I could make the curve. Once I had the length and curve I wanted, I laid the whole thing flat to dry. It's okay that one side dries a little flat because then you cover it with little chunks of gum paste shaped sort of like a house or rounded triangle. I started at the TOP of the tree trunk overlapping the chunks slightly around the trunk. Then I moved down the trunk and added the next row, spaced in an offset manner like you'd lay bricks. I also splayed out the tips of the chunks a bit to give them dimension. Then you need to stick it upright into a piece of styrofoam to dry.

For the fronds, I made a freehand pattern from cardboard, cut them out of gum paste, pressed veins into them with the back side of a knife, and dried them over a big pop bottle to get the curve. Let them dry completely. I flipped over a small bowl, covered it with Saran Wrap, put a big blob of RI (colored green) in the middle and arranged several layers of fronds until it looked good. Let this dry COMPLETELY, or it'll fall apart when you perch the whole thing on the top of the tree trunk with another big blob of RI. I also recommend that you make the fronds slightly thicker. I've made quite a few out of pretty thin gum paste that was too brittle when it dried. One false move and the whole thing breaks!

Sorry this was so long. It's hard to describe these things!! If this explanation is confusing, feel free to PM me and I'll explain further. I also have some close up pics that show the detail better that I can send you.

peg91170 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg91170 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:50am
post #11 of 13

Thanks so much! I thought you explained it pretty good. LOL.

nthlgmz Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:01am
post #12 of 13

I ended up doing the cake below for the hawaiian baby shower with hibiscus cupcakes around it
LL

kalida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kalida Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 12:38pm
post #13 of 13

I love the pregnant belly cakes, the baby in the wooden bath with duckies icon_biggrin.gif
I made a hawian baby shower theme cake a while back. You can check it out in my pics if you like.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%