Need Some Advice

Decorating By mom2leelee Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 11:13pm by mom2leelee

mom2leelee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2leelee Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 10

I'm heading to Michaels in a few hours to get a few of the basics for decorating. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on things that are a must have for a newbie!

9 replies
Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 10

It really depends on how new you are. If you dont have tips and bags that would be a good place to start. Some Wilton yearbooks would give you step by step on making some cakes to get you started. From there see what you like and what your stregths are and work from there. Hope this helps.

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 10

I would buy one of the wilton kits. It will have bags and tips and books with instructions and I think even an icing spatula. There's the cheaper one for around $20 or 30 and then there's the more expensive one like $50.

I don't use much of what I got in mine anymore, but it was a great help in the beginning because I had no clue what to buy.

Joybeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joybeth Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 10

Well I believe you will get quite a few different answers. Here are a few of my favorite suggestions.
Only buy gel food colors, such as wilton, americolor etc. Don't buy a large wilton cake cutter, a waste of money. I love the straight smooth edge spatulas, (you can never have too many) You can never have enough decorating bags. I really love my turntable. That is a MUST to make things easier. These are just a few of my fav items.
Good luck! Have fun shopping!!!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 10

Not sure what you're looking for, but the basics to start out with (in my opinion) are:

Basic tips and nails
Disposable piping bags
Icer tip
Large reusable decorating bag (for the icing tip)
Spatulas
Gel colors
Turntable

mom2leelee Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:17pm
post #6 of 10

sun33082 ~ I'm actually heading to the Michaels your way, it's the closest one to me!

I have an 18 piece Wilton kit that was on clearance at Walmart for $5.00. So it came w/ a few bags and four tips. I def. need more. My DH also suprised me last night w/ more couplers, a tip cleaning brush and a Wilton revolving cake stand.

I have some icing spatulas and some more basic tools I'm really interested in learning what tool makes your experience easier..or the one you couldn't live w/out.

I'm VERY interested in fondant and gumpaste modeling if that helps.

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:25pm
post #7 of 10

You just opened a whole can of worms!!!! I can't go to Michaels or my cake supply store with out going crazy, I ALWAYS OVER SPEND because I find I need everything. A good start is the wilton kit. And I would also recommend purchaseing some cake decorating books. In those it will tell yu what types of tools to buy for what every style of cake you are interested in making, my suggestions are Debbie Brown, any book from her, Colette Peters Cakes to Dream on, and Confetti Cakes by Elise Struass, check out Amazon for others, but thats a good start.

Running out of space in my kitchen here.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:32pm
post #8 of 10

Get the fondant smoothers and the Wilton flower making kit. It's a good starter kit and don't forget the 40% off coupon.

http://www.michaels.com/coupons/061608/coupon.jpg

mom2leelee Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:43pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks!

I just printed out the coupon, I get then in my email every once in a while.

OK, I'm off to spend WAY to much money I'm sure!

mom2leelee Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:13pm
post #10 of 10

Well I'm back.....

I signed up for the Wilton Course 1 while I was up there. After the discounts and coupon they were offering for the course it only cost $7.50. I signed DH up also.

I bought the big 53 piece decorating set and used my 40% coupon on that, then also bought the icing tip, a decorating triangle, and some clay modeling tools. All in all I only paid $35 for everything including one of the courses so not so bad I dont think.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%