How The Heck Is This Possible!!!

Business By BellaSweet Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 1:16am by BellaSweet

BellaSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaSweet Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 34

Okay so i've put off opening my own business for a while now. About two years. I've got a friend in the banking business and is willing to help me open my own place. I've always been really hesitant. But now something indide me completely turned around and I am finding myself totally inspired and motivated. The only problem is is that I have a full time job. Have any of you ever opened or tried opening your own legal business while doing a 9-5er?

33 replies
BellaSweet Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 34

Can someone help me??? Don't mean to be impatient.

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 34

Are you in a state that allows home bakeries? That is what I do... work 8-5 and do the baking jobs at night.

BellaSweet Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 34

Unfortunately, I am in Texas. The smack daddy if bakerie hell. There is one well known Lady here in the city with an inhome bakery. Don't know how she does it, but she's legal. I really want my own place.... icon_sad.gif [/i]

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 34

my only "full time days" are thurs fri and saturday...

if you could manage working the the other days, you might could do that for awhile...but man, that would be a lot of work!

is your "day job" physically demanding?

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 34

I own a bakery, and there is no time left for a 9-5 job! owning your own business is almost 24-7.

hope this helps.

melody

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:33pm
post #7 of 34

I agree --if you have overhead you have a ticking time bomb gonna go off every month. How's that for positive encouragement? icon_redface.gif But it is!! You could do it if you hired people you could trust to do the work or had ridiculously low overhead, or the state would lighten up and let us work from home.

BellaSweet Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 9:10pm
post #8 of 34

Okay so what i should have said was.....I would like to open my own business. The people and his resources are there. Could I go through the process of opening a akery while still working full time. And then stop doing the admin job when bakery is open. And finally focus on bakery. Hope that's clear guys.

-K8memphis Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:03pm
post #9 of 34

Kinda sorta prolly not. I couldn't. I've opened two for real businesses besides the speakeasy, my home cake business. There's just not enough room in my head.

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:08pm
post #10 of 34

thats different then, I don't see why you couldn't work full time while you were getting ready to open up. although there will be days you have to be at your bakery for the contractors, inspectors, ect.

good luck!

melody

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:44am
post #11 of 34

A lotta people do cakes on the side, why couldn't you? Depends on what you consider "opening a business", I would think.

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:55am
post #12 of 34

I have my own shop, but it is open by "appointment only". I like it this way because during the slow season it allows me to work a temp job & I just schedule my appointments around it. I mainly focus on weddings & specialty cakes though so if you were doing more, it may not work out as well.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:08am
post #13 of 34

BellaSweet--
Where in Texas are you?

I have a 9-5 job Monday thru Friday. I also rent a commercial and inspected kitchen 3 nights a week (for $400 a month) from a private school. I figured if I go make $400 a week on cakes--one week would pay for kitchen rental, another week for supplies and ingredients and the next 2 weeks would be profit. I have found that JUST starting the business there is more out-of-pocket stuff. All the licenses and certificates that you need, the Food Safety Management class you have to take, insurance and advertising. However, all of that is tax deductible...YAY!

I am in East Texas...just purchased my first ad in a local wedding magazine for $651.00 for the 1st 6 months and it is an 8th of a page ad.
Kinda slow right now but I have talked with many businesses that have placed an ad with this magazine and all say their business has soared. Fingers crossed. I am looking at maybe in the fall only working Monday thru Thurs at my "real job". And hopefully, next year, doing cakin' full-time. PM me if you have any other questions. Sorry this is so long.

littlecake Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:41am
post #14 of 34

You can do it...it'll just be rough for awhile....I just keep in my head "this is temporary"...while i've had to do things that were hard in business.

Hey, if it was easy...everyone would be doin it..,..we entepenuers (sp?)must learn how to think outside the box, and problem solve in creative ways.

Everyone and their dog will tell you why you can't....people are really afraid to take a chance...then they regret not trying.

people thought i was crazy for the last property i bought...(it was in such bad shape)..now that i'm making progress, i'm not so crazy anymore....and when i'm done, i won't owe a dime to anyone, there have been rough times, i just think "temporary"....keep getting up and working at it...soon you get past it.

GOOD LUCK, I'm pulling for ya.

drowsyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drowsyrn Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:03am
post #15 of 34

Is there any way you can work part time? I went to part time and still work part time after opening my shop. I am opened four days a week.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:19am
post #16 of 34

Owning a business is already a full time and a half job! I work 7 days a week, 18-20 hours a day. I don't see how you would have time to work another job, unless you are wiling to hire people to do the baking, and paper work,etc.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:31am
post #17 of 34

Not that's not fair!
I DO own my business and basically the only one that works at it.
For sure, I am not as busy as I would like to be but that is soon to change, I hope.

I do home health physical therapy during the day until 5:00 and then at 6:00 I start cakin'.

It CAN be done--takes alot of dedication.

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:28am
post #18 of 34

I work part time and do cakes...a bunch! LOL I am in SE Texas and at this time I do not have a legal kitchen. I will next year. I concentrate mostly on wedding cakes and since I work my day job Monday Tuesday and Wednesday I am free to do my caking on Thursday and Friday.

Yes it it alot of work but it is work I truly enjoy and profit from. I could do this if I worked full time but I would have to be WAY more organized than I am and could not take on too many projects for a weekend.

What part of Texas are you in? and Mac you too...where are you located?

BellaSweet Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:13pm
post #19 of 34

I am in the capitol of TX. I do a admin asst job Mon through Fri. And it's not very flexible. I know it would be time consuming to focus only on opening let alone work at the same time. My husband is super supportive and has a fairly flexible job. And I know he would be willing to help with whatever needed if I couldn't get to the site. But we just put our daughter in preschool and so now if we want her to stay, I have to work. If I stop working then she comes with me to every appt. Everyone keeps telling me I need to open a place. And now how conveniently icon_rolleyes.gif I get motivated when I actually start a job. Figures!!! Sorry to rant guys. I am just a huge loss of what to do. I've never been too confident, but a recent wedding got a lot of people's attn and just got me thinking maybe I really could do this. I've been to plenty of weddings as my church has about 4000 members and someone is always getting married. And the good flavored cakesare just too far and few between.

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:40pm
post #20 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaSweet

I am in the capitol of TX. I do a admin asst job Mon through Fri. And it's not very flexible. I know it would be time consuming to focus only on opening let alone work at the same time. My husband is super supportive and has a fairly flexible job. And I know he would be willing to help with whatever needed if I couldn't get to the site. But we just put our daughter in preschool and so now if we want her to stay, I have to work. If I stop working then she comes with me to every appt. Everyone keeps telling me I need to open a place. And now how conveniently icon_rolleyes.gif I get motivated when I actually start a job. Figures!!! Sorry to rant guys. I am just a huge loss of what to do. I've never been too confident, but a recent wedding got a lot of people's attn and just got me thinking maybe I really could do this. I've been to plenty of weddings as my church has about 4000 members and someone is always getting married. And the good flavored cakesare just too far and few between.

Bella I understand. I want to recommend that you just slow down. You got your Munchkin in preschool and that's great. You have a good job all these things are great. If you want to have any kind of life with that girl, a 40 hour gig is enough and too much as it is. Stop listening to other people. They don't know how difficult this is. When they say, "Oh you should open a shop." Smile and say "Yes I should shouldn't I?" Just let it go. I'm not taking anything away from your expertise and wonderful tasting cakes I'm just saying why do people push like that? It's a universal complement for some reason. And besides if they love you today they will love you in five years when it may or may not be more feasible. I hear that allll the time and people say it like they just discovered America. Which is really nice but...reality does bite.

Having a full blown business is like birthing a baby, every day, and it never takes a nap.

You've got your hands full. Let the Munchkin get a little older. Who's gonna take her to b-day parties and read her stories and fix her hair, take her shopping. You can still create beautiful cakes anytime you want. You don't have to have a business right now. Enjoy the cake buzz but chill in between.

Bottom line is if you're gonna do it, you put on the blinders to everything, forge ahead like crazy and don't take no for an answer. Is that what you want?

It takes a lot of cookie baking to pay that overhead every month. So when you gonna have time to be arsty fartsy and creative?

You don't have the time NOW and you ain't even open. Just agree with people and say thanks!

BellaSweet Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 8:22pm
post #21 of 34

icon_cry.gif Wow!!! I can't beleive what K8memphis has just said. I am literally crying at my desk. I mean I'm 25 and I guess I just felt like I was getting older and needed to hurry up. I do very much want to open my own place full of cakes, cupcakes, etc. ( Sorry no pictures yet, haven't had the time). The reality is I miss eing at home with her. I miss her waiking up and looking for me. Taking the time to pick out an out fit for the day, and fix her curly hair. I work 40 and can't do that now. Only weekends. This past year, we had 2 parties for her 3rd birthday. So she 2 cakes. I made a huge cupcake cake( not the wilton one) It looked like a mondo coupcake for a giant. And that castle cake by tuggy. She was thilled. Who knew a 3 year old could be a fanatic for cakes. If I was doing too much I wouldn't have been able to do that. I'm not letting this dream go. Just taking more time to think about exactly how I want things to go. icon_cry.gif

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 8:43pm
post #22 of 34
Quote:

icon_cry.gif Wow!!! I can't beleive what K8memphis has just said. I am literally crying at my desk. I mean I'm 25 and I guess I just felt like I was getting older and needed to hurry up. I do very much want to open my own place full of cakes, cupcakes, etc. ( Sorry no pictures yet, haven't had the time). The reality is I miss eing at home with her. I miss her waiking up and looking for me. Taking the time to pick out an out fit for the day, and fix her curly hair. I work 40 and can't do that now. Only weekends. This past year, we had 2 parties for her 3rd birthday. So she 2 cakes. I made a huge cupcake cake( not the wilton one) It looked like a mondo coupcake for a giant. And that castle cake by tuggy. She was thilled. Who knew a 3 year old could be a fanatic for cakes. If I was doing too much I wouldn't have been able to do that. I'm not letting this dream go. Just taking more time to think about exactly how I want things to go. icon_cry.gif

Wait wait--Texas is a state where you have to have a full blown shop right? I mean you can't do it from home can you? Wow glory I didn't mean to make you cry. You're 25??! I'm 57 I can't have my own place in my area. I had a tea-room but that didn't count. Doing cakes is so mortally frustrating because like you I can see the gold at the end of the rainbow but there's a force field around it that bounces me back no matter what angle I approach it. Bounce bounce bounce splat burn out burn burn burn>>>that's me not you.

I am so sorry I totally never thought what I said was tearful producing. Get some chocolate quick. You're twenty five? It's ok. I just meant chill out a little you can get that momentum going anytime you do a cake it's actually a nightmare (for me) But I totally hope you get it all going and it will be wonderful. But you can't do it your home in Texas is my understanding.

Please, tell me you stopped crying. I totally did not mean for that to happen. I was just meaning chill chill chill. (((hug)))

seven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seven Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 8:49pm
post #23 of 34

I dont own my own bakery, I do cakes for fun here and there but I do own my own at home business (not food related). And let me tell you, there are not enough hours in the day!
Start up of a new business is very stressful and an extremely busy and all consuming of your time.
There is no way around it! I do not want to persude you in either direction, however, had I kept my original job I would not own my own business today.
I personally, could not have started it and worked somewhere else, not enough time in the day!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 8:58pm
post #24 of 34

Bella, now you're making me feel old... icon_cry.gif I'm older than you (OK, by 1 year icon_lol.gif ), no husband, no kids, just graduated from grad school and my BF is younger than me and still in school. Seriously, what really depresses me is thinking about living to 80 or something (I'm not even half way there yet!!! icon_eek.gif ). Now, hope that made you laugh.... icon_wink.gif

Anyway, is it not possible to rent out your church kitchen or something so you can bake there and still sell cakes but without having to invest all your time, $$, and energy into a store-owned bakery? This way it gets your foot-in-the-door to experience the business side of things and then later decide if you really want your own bakery.

Good luck with whatever decision you make. thumbs_up.gif

BellaSweet Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 9:41pm
post #25 of 34

icon_smile.gif Hey K8memphis. It was a good cry that kinda made me realize what I have. And how much I'm missing. If I would try to really pursuit this right now, I would miss everything with my daughter for who knows how long. Our daughter is such a social butterfly and playing with one or 2 kids on a play date just wasn't enough for her anymore. So we thought about putting her in school, and then a friend of mine had position at her office and I felt it was the right timing. to go to work and put her in school. As far as my church, the kitchen's not really an option. I guess God's timing is always different than our. I want things now now now. But when it's right all the right doors will open up.

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 10:12pm
post #26 of 34

You can have a home bakery in some places in TX, as long as you have a separate kitchen. Have you looked into that? Having a building out back of your house, or converting your garage? It is hard, but it can be done, depending on your county ordinances. Like you said, you don't want to miss out on the munchkin growing up. Good luck! You'll make the right choice, if you rely on God!

Cakenator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenator Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 10:14pm
post #27 of 34

You don't own the business, it owns you.

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 10:20pm
post #28 of 34

Have you checked out Earlene Moore's website?
She lives in Texas, and has been doing cakes for many many years. Her kitchen is attached to her house. She is in full compliance with the health department, and has posted not only the photos of her kitchen, but business articles from her experience. The articles include what is needed in Texas to be legal. There are two different areas with the kitchen photos, so you will need to look hard for them, but they are an inspiration.
If you are able to follow the rules with a renovation, you can bake on the same property as your house. (If the zoning folks approve.) That way you could stay home with your daughter and bake. Just read all you can, take plenty of notes, and make things above reproach.

-Debbie B.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 10:33pm
post #29 of 34

Well since you cannot be at two places at the same time doing two different things, then you decide which one you really would rather be doing. Sacrifice one thing for the other. Or you can just do cakes on weeks-ends, but that would mean you won't have a life on week-ends.

littlecake Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 10:34pm
post #30 of 34
Quote:

icon_smile.gif I guess God's timing is always different than our. I want things now now now. But when it's right all the right doors will open up.

Yeah, He's never in much of a hurry is He? icon_rolleyes.gif

I think I'd make some cakes on the side, when I had time....and take your time and hone your skills....

I was 43 when I opened my place, I wasn't THAT much of an antique.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%