Wonderful Gumpaste Flowers

Decorating By ShirleyW Updated 14 Jan 2007 , 3:28am by FlowerGuy

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 1:59am
post #1 of 27

For those of you who don't make your own gumpaste flowers and would like a source for buying quality blossoms here is a beautiful website on Long Island.
http://www.sugarflorals.com/

26 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 2:10am
post #2 of 27

WOW!! He's really good!!! Did you see those Birds of Paradise???

FlowerGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlowerGuy Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 27

Thanks for your kind comments. I'm glad you enjoy my work. It means a lot to me.
Stewart Feldman
www.sugarflorals.com

oolala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oolala Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 8:17pm
post #4 of 27

How about:

www.discountsugarflowers.com

icon_smile.gif

ShirleyW Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 8:18pm
post #5 of 27

Hi Stewart,
Happy to post your website, you do lovely work.

ShirleyW Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 8:19pm
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by oolala

How about:

www.discountsugarflowers.com

icon_smile.gif

This thread was actually meant to be about Stewarts site because of the quality of his work.

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 10:20pm
post #7 of 27

Boy Stewart, I thought Scott Woolley was good, but man, you take the cake!! (Pardon the pun icon_confused.gif) Your sunflower looks like it's actually growing right outside my window!! Amazing! Tell us about your training -- how long have you been doing this and how did you learn?

FlowerGuy Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 10:33pm
post #8 of 27

High praise indeed! Thank you so much. I have to say...I love Scott's work. I would love to take classes with him, but they are way too expensive for me...as are Nick Lodge's. Also, wasn't crazy about Scott's book. As with many books, the directions look great until you actually try to figure out what the heck they're saying.
Personally, I learn best by watching someone, and having them watch me.

I studied with Christina Bisbee here on Long Island. She is awesome! She works in a cake and candy supply store here on Long Island...The Chocolate Duck.....a family run business which offers classes. She is very talented and VERY patient. Over the past 3 years, I've taken 7 different classes with her.
Whatever I didn't learn with Chrissie....I learned on my own from books....lots of books and also buying flowers, pulling them apart, and figuring out how to duplicate each part.

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 10:37pm
post #9 of 27

That's very cool. That's how Sylvia Weinstock learned as well, pulling apart flowers and recreating them. Good for you!! I must say your Bird of Paradise reminds me of the days when I was a florist -- we'd kill to get flowers that nice in the shop! icon_biggrin.gif

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 10:39pm
post #10 of 27

Well kiddo..you are good!!!

Take a bow!!

Glad to know you are a visual learner, like I am. Books do help but love DVD better. icon_biggrin.gif

FlowerGuy Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 10:41pm
post #11 of 27

That's funny...I went looking for decent birds of paradise to try to figure them out, but no florist had ones that weren't dying. Not many books have instructions for them. The first book I found that had them was Scott Wooley's book, but I couldn't really understand the directions.
I found a good representation in Alan Dunn's Exotic Sugar Flowers book.

FlowerGuy Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 10:43pm
post #12 of 27

I use dvds also. Some good, some not so good.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 10:48pm
post #13 of 27

your cakes are very pretty too!...

i LOVE the white monogram cake...BEAUTIFUL!!!

and the sunflower is just perfect...it looks real.

great job!

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 10:48pm
post #14 of 27

I'm rather new to the wonderful world of gumpaste flowers myself, being self-taught via Scott's DVDs and a number of books, with the help of my oh-so-patient cake teacher Karen. I have a few of Nick Lodges DVDs and books as well. I just make a batch of gumpaste and play. When the flower is to my liking, and I can do it over and over with the same basic result, then I'm happy! icon_biggrin.gif

ShirleyW Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 11:08pm
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerGuy

That's funny...I went looking for decent birds of paradise to try to figure them out, but no florist had ones that weren't dying. Not many books have instructions for them. The first book I found that had them was Scott Wooley's book, but I couldn't really understand the directions.
I found a good representation in Alan Dunn's Exotic Sugar Flowers book.

I love Alan Dunns books and work. Jeeze Stewart my daughter has a huge bush of Bird of paradise in her front year that blooms almost year round, I could have sent you some.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 11:26pm
post #16 of 27

Wow! Your flowers are lovely. Now, I know where to go if I need something really stunning.

oolala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oolala Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 11:40pm
post #17 of 27

icon_redface.gif Sorry, I thought you were looking where you can get nice sugar flowers to buy...

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 11:40pm
post #18 of 27

Hello, Stewart!

Welcome to CC.

Tell me, where are you on LI? I lived in Deepdale for a while, just off the LIE in Little Neck. I still have family there and in New Hyde Park. Your area code tells me you are not too far away.

When you went to find the birds of paradise, did you ljust ook on the Island, or did you go down to the flower district in the City? I have bought great ones there in the past. Not always from the same vendor, though.

Nice meeting you!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 11:49pm
post #19 of 27

Just wonderful flowers Stewart. Tell me, are you able to ship? They seem too fragile.

Keep up the good work, we all really appreciate seeing it!

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 12:12am
post #20 of 27

Welcome to Cake Central, Stewart ~ ''flowerguy''!

I just came back from viewing your site.
AWESOME, GORGEOUS, FABULOUS & MARVELOUS!
Your flowers and plants are so realistic; a real delight to see such beauty.

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 12:23am
post #21 of 27

Great job. Your flowers look almost life-like. thumbs_up.gif

SharonZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonZ Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 1:23am
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerGuy

Thanks for your kind comments. I'm glad you enjoy my work. It means a lot to me.
Stewart Feldman
www.sugarflorals.com

Your flowers are amazing!
Sharon

ShirleyW Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 1:37am
post #23 of 27

Hey Miss Z. icon_biggrin.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 1:54am
post #24 of 27

Hi Stewart,
your work is fantastic & I love your web site. Welcome to CC.
June

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 2:21pm
post #25 of 27

Wow Stewart! your flowers are amazing!!! I'd love to take a gumpaste class - heck I'd love to take any class LOL. If you don't mind, where is the Chocolate Duck? I'm from LI too, but way out east...

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 9:09pm
post #26 of 27

Beautiful work! I was wondering if you could recommend a good (easy!) book for a beginner. Maybe one that isnt super duper expensive either? I havent tried making any sugar flowers yet. You said a lot of the books were confusing and I dont want to get overly frustrated at first. Thanks!

FlowerGuy Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 3:28am
post #27 of 27

Hi all....
I would like to thank you ALL for your kind words about my work.
I have tried to answer everyone who had questions via PM...but I would like to answer some common ones here....

Shipping.....depends on the exact project. Some pieces will ship well....others will not. The flowers are very fragile. If anyone has any experience with shipping custom made gumpaste flowers...I'd love to hear from you. I'm experimenting right now. I'll keep y'all posted.

Prices.....prices for my work vary. I don't usually list prices. I price by each job. In general....one flower is $10.00....but it depends on the flower...some are quite a bit more, some less...
Flower type, coloring, size, number of blooms, number of stems, time involved, etc....all shape the price. And of course...the cake decorator's budget is most important. I like someone to give me a budget. I will then come up with a beautiful piece to fit the need.

Classes..... I do offer private instruction.

Best books for beginners/not too expensive.......I guess that depends on each person's own learning preferences and what someone's budget is.
It can be daunting finding just the right material without spending too much money. It tends to be an expensive craft.
I highly recommend Jill Maytham's CD...'Sugar Flowers'. See http://www.jemcutters.com The CD gives the best illustrations (drawn not live) and the JEM cutter sets have many many many cutters all in a few boxes.

Sorry it took awhile to get back to you today...but my clothes drier broke this morning sending me into shopping warrior mode. Found the part at Sears Service Center....then shopped for other stuff while I was in the panic mode. Now if I can only put the drier back together....

Best regards to all...
Looking forward to forumming with you all..
Stewart
www.sugarflorals.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%