Why Does This Icing Taste Like ______?(It Rhymes With Trap!)

Business By SweetAsLemmons Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 4:11am by sweetcakes

SweetAsLemmons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetAsLemmons Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 8

I am sooooooooooooo sick of making batch after batch of buttercream and would rather buy a pail of some good stuff. So far, all the stuff I have tried is LESS than yummy, so does ANYONE know of a reputable source that offers good buttercream? I live in California and it is now about 104* weather, so it has to be room temp/heat stable too.
PLEASE someone help, I dont want to use CRISCO anymore icon_cry.gif

Thanks

7 replies
jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 8

ohhhhh I know how you feel, I can not do the "buttercream" with Crisco. Ewwwwww, I just hate it. I only use SMBC, I love it and it is not too sweet at all, and is so yummy, and a great stable filling. I make it in all kinds of flavors, white chocolate, chocolate, strawberry, raspberry, you name it, you can make it. So yummy, yummy, yummy.

feliciangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feliciangel Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 8

might help out if you listed what you've tried

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 8

You may want to check out this product http://www.dixiesicing.com/

I think its quite good; holds up better than Rich's Bettercreme and you can use it under fondant.

The home page has a video that is rather long but explains alot about the stability of their icing.

Good luck and let us know if you find the magic cure for your BC blues icon_wink.gif

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 8

Add more flavorings. I make mine with vanilla, almond and butter extract, if I have time I squeeze a lime and add salt to it, pretty yummy. Oh and I make mine with crisco

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 7:12pm
post #6 of 8

I am in the SoCal desert of Apple Valley and know what you mean about the triple digit temps out here. Can't use SMBC or IMBC out here...NOPE, not gonna work (especially in the summer)!! I use a good Crisco/Hi-Ratio shortening recipe that you can mix with butter as well and it holds up well in the heat. I have been using it for so long that I eyeball it now. But if you need it, PM me and I will dig it up and send it to you!! Don't worry and don't get frustrated...You can do this my California friend!!! Don't give up just yet!! thumbs_up.gif

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:20am
post #7 of 8

Call me nuts, I do not digress from good old class buttercream. I have tried some other stuff, nope, back to class buttercream. I do flavor it up with different extracts, creamers, even Root Beer, my son's favorite. I'll use orange extract, lemon juice, lime juice, all kinds of fun things. But the beginning is always good old Class Buttercream.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:11am
post #8 of 8

do you have a sams locally, they sell theres in 28lb buckets, you could give that a go and flavour it up even more if you so desired.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%