What Tip Makes These Tulips?

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 6:29am by Cookie4

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 15

There is a cake in this month's Mailbox News that is on page 7 with pink tulips done in buttercream. It says they were made with a round tip. Anybody know what tip is good for this? I can't figure it out!

I will attach a scanned picture of the cake....
LL

14 replies
lnb19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lnb19 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 15

Looks like the bag was striped with pink and white icing and then they used a round tip. Maybe between tips 5-10. I'm sure this can be don't with any round tip depending on how large you want the tulips. The key is the amount of pressure you apply. You would apply more pressure on the bottom of the petal and gradually reduce pressure as you reach the top and just pull it off to get the point.

HTH icon_smile.gif

LoriMc Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 15

A round tip would give you that point at the top? Looks like I will need some practice!

lnb19 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 15

Yes! Practing first is always a good idea. thumbs_up.gif You have to remember to release the pressure at the end to get the point.

lnb19 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 15

Yes! Practing first is always a good idea. thumbs_up.gif You have to remember to release the pressure at the end to get the point.

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 15

Wow. I would love to figure that out also. Very pretty. Looks like I'm gonna have to start practicing that too.

LoriMc Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 15

I'm going to try it this afternoon and see how it goes.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 7:57pm
post #8 of 15

silly question that is off topic (sorta) how do i get Mailbox News???? i've seen several people reference different issues/cakes

LoriMc Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:07pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflywings

silly question that is off topic (sorta) how do i get Mailbox News???? i've seen several people reference different issues/cakes

I just looked up their website and ordered it from there.

www.mailbox-news.com

I will tell you, I was sort of disappointed with the first issue I got. The cake on the front is always very pretty, but for the most part, the cakes on the inside pages are not all professional looking. I think the pictures of cakes on here are much better, and there are a lot more tips and information on this site. I don't think I will renew my subscription.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:13pm
post #10 of 15

thanks LoriMc. I checked it out and it's pretty expensive for subscription. and from what you say, i can get the same (if not BETTER) info right here.. i'll stick to this little addiction for now icon_biggrin.gif

LoriMc Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:25pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflywings

thanks LoriMc. I checked it out and it's pretty expensive for subscription. and from what you say, i can get the same (if not BETTER) info right here.. i'll stick to this little addiction for now icon_biggrin.gif

Definitely true....

chrissysconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissysconfections Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:37pm
post #12 of 15

MailBox News isn't just for professionals...it's main purpose if for the every day decorator. It showcases photos sent in from all level decorators.
If your looking for the professional ideas and how-to's then you may want to check out their sister magazine American Cake Decorating. It's slightly more but a different quality of decorating as well. icon_smile.gif

As for the tulip petals....I think it's similar to making tear drops with a round tip but I could be wrong.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:40pm
post #13 of 15

Have you taken the Wilton I course? you can get that shape with the round tip just like the previous poster said, think of it as 1/2 of the heart upside down and layerd on top of one another to form the tulip.

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/basic/heart.cfm

HTH

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:22am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakemkr

Have you taken the Wilton I course? you can get that shape with the round tip just like the previous poster said, think of it as 1/2 of the heart upside down and layerd on top of one another to form the tulip.

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/basic/heart.cfm

HTH

That makes sense! Great suggestion. I'll definitely be trying this. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:29am
post #15 of 15

I don't think that was done with a found tip (10,12 etc). The Wilton method is done with the large section at the top and pulling/dragging the bottom to a point.

Your picture shows a point at the top, I think it was done with a 102 or 104 tip using the technique of the sweet pea (as in the Wilton classes) but letting the icing fill out completely making a very large petal and of course stripping the bag. Does that make sense?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%