Best Icing For Outdoor Summer Wedding

Decorating By candycakes51 Updated 31 Jul 2012 , 7:09pm by ibeeflower

candycakes51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candycakes51 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:56am
post #1 of 13

i have been asked to make a wedding cake for an outdoor wedding and the temp is likely to be 100+ degrees. This is for family or I would have said "no". Bride is adamant about no fondant. What is the best icing/technique to assure my 4 tiered cake doesn't become a melted glob?

12 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:20am
post #2 of 13

There's no way I could pull that off with the weather we have here. I have seen some people suggesting that the cake be iced with buttercream made with all shortening with some butter flavor added, kept in the fridge until the last possible moment, and then taken out and kept in the shade at the reception.

Maybe you could make a practice cake, just one small tier and chill it for a while, then put it outside in the shade and keep track of how long it takes for it to melt. If you try it and it just isn't going to work, you could tell the bride that you can either do cupcakes (which won't look as bad when they melt) or fondant. If all she's had is wilton fondant, you could also try making some mmf and give her a sample of it...flavor it with orange oil or one of the lorann oil flavorings so it tastes like something more than just sweet. I've noticed that mmf will survive a lot better in the heat than buttercream.

candycakes51 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 5:35am
post #3 of 13

thanks for the suggestions, I'll give both your ideas a try...wish me luck!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:28am
post #4 of 13

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

My icing holds up in 100 degree weather. I don't refrgierate my cakes ..... ever. As a matter of fact, the only time I've had an icing problem is when I put the cake in the 'frig, so never, ever again will I do that.

LorienSkye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LorienSkye Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 12:00pm
post #5 of 13

I was so glad to see you posted this topic because I am doing an outdoor wedding this Saturday and it is supposed to be hot and humid here in Michigan. I usually use equal parts real butter and shortening in my buttercream (my personal taste preference) but I was planning on pretty much omitting the butter. Thanks for your recipe, indydeb....I'm going to give it a try! Just one question, though, what purpose does DreamWhip serve? Is it for flavor or consistency?

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 12:40pm
post #6 of 13

There is High Humidity Buttercream recipe on CC:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipes_id-add_box-4123.html

I have not tried it and not sure what makes it better in humidity (maybe the flour?).

candycakes51 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 1:23pm
post #7 of 13

I actually use the Dream Whip in my bc all the time, and was leaning in that direction for this cake, but have never used it in such weather conditions and wasn't sure how it would hold up.

Thanks everyone for your help. I knew I could come here and get the answers I needed. You guys rock!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:42pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LorienSkye

Just one question, though, what purpose does DreamWhip serve? Is it for flavor or consistency?

I'm not sure I can tell you ... I've used this recipe for 20+ years so to me, it's what wedding cake icing is suppose to taste like! icon_biggrin.gif Many people tell me it tastes "whipped"; many say it's not "as sweet" (that one really confuses me! It's made of sugar!)

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:52pm
post #9 of 13

Would it also help to use hi-ratio shortening since it has a highter melting ratio than Crisco. Just a thought.,cause I have never used it. Since all the hype about Crisco it might be worth a try.

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:06am
post #10 of 13

Definately use the high humidity buttercream recipe (which is very similar to indydebi's but has flour, which I have been eliminating because the icing seem whiter without the flour and is otherwise unaffected).
I made a cake last summer for CC testing purposes and put it in the direct sun all day on a day that was 100+. The only noticeable change in the cake was a slight fading of the colored roses. No wilting or melting.
HTH
val

LorienSkye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LorienSkye Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 5:01am
post #11 of 13

Update: All I can say is VOILA MAGIC PRESTO! I made up a big batch of indydeb's recipe tonight and crumb coated my cakes for Saturday and I think I'm in looooove. It is super smooth, crusts well, and has a great consistency. I have never used dream whip before and I'm a die-hard believer now. Thanks SO much for sharing this nugget of wisdom! icon_biggrin.gif

shibby29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shibby29 Posted 30 Jul 2012 , 1:08pm
post #12 of 13

what are the chances you could add cream cheese to this recipe? I am making a wedding cupcake cake this weekend and it's an outdoor wedding - she's having red velvet cupcakes and would like cream cheese buttercream icing. I have a recipe for cream cheese buttercream, but do not know if it will hold up in the heat!

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 7:09pm
post #13 of 13

I coudn't find DreamWhip anywhere so I began using Sharon Z.'s recipe. I now stick with an all hi-ratio shortening based recipe. We are in the 100s here in Texas (104) today and recently I made a cake for my parent's outdoor wedding anniversary. The cake held up well and it didn't melt. I agree with having the bride sample MMF (if you know how to work with it too) and see if she likes it. If not, a shortening based recipe is great and tastes super yummy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%