Help....no Vodka!!!!

Decorating By miny Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 4:06am by miny

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:06am
post #1 of 15

Hi there, does anyone knows if I can use white rum to paint with gold luster dust?, icon_confused.gif I ran out of vodka and didn't notice and I don't have lemon extract either but I have almond extract, can I use this or rum? I really don't want to go and buy vodka if I can use any of this, unless it's necessary. Thanks for the help!

14 replies
cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:09am
post #2 of 15

try the rum, it may not evaporate, or dry as quickly, I even used tequila once! You gotta do what you gotta do.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:09am
post #3 of 15

Yes, you can, but remember that you will have a residual taste of rum where you use it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

miny Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:20am
post #4 of 15

mmmmm rum after taste..... thumbs_up.gif , just kidding! thank you guys for your answers. icon_lol.gif

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 4:37am
post #5 of 15

Orange extract will also work.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 4:39am
post #6 of 15

I have never tried orange extract, because the alcohol content on the brand I have is too low to keep the media underneath the painting from mushing up.

What brand do you use?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 4:58am
post #7 of 15

Anything clear works-extracts or liquors.

servingzero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
servingzero Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 5:06am
post #8 of 15

I don't know abut rum extract, is that what you're asking about? I've used actual rum (and we drink spiced, so there is a slight colouring to it)
And as for aftertaste, if you're using the actual alcohol, I've never noticed any aftertaste, but I would think if you used rum extract you'd have a taste. Those things are strong!

I've also used white rum to paint on different dusts so I don't see why it wouldn't work. However I am no expert, and just getting started on painting icon_smile.gif

TantalizingTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TantalizingTreats Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 5:26am
post #9 of 15

question...

Can you use water? or does that change the effect?

servingzero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
servingzero Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 2:24pm
post #10 of 15

As fas as I've read, no water isn't a great option. Water dries much slower than alcohol. I've never used water, but who knows, I guess it's worth a try if you've no other options.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 3:57pm
post #11 of 15

you can use vanilla. it has alcohol in it.

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:37pm
post #12 of 15

I have a Wms..Sonoma orange extract.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:45pm
post #13 of 15

I'm sure run will work just fine. Everclear is my fav. I've been using the smae bottle of it for ever. icon_smile.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:56pm
post #14 of 15

Am I the only one welcoming the thought of being forced *sigh* to buy a whole bottle of vodka when I only need a few drops??

What a bummer that would be to have extra vodka on your hands....what in the world would I do with extra vodka?? icon_rolleyes.gif

Ok, sorry....I'm done. Summer vacation and 4 kids has me teetering near the edge of sanity. icon_cry.gif

miny Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:06am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

Am I the only one welcoming the thought of being forced *sigh* to buy a whole bottle of vodka when I only need a few drops??

What a bummer that would be to have extra vodka on your hands....what in the world would I do with extra vodka?? icon_rolleyes.gif

Ok, sorry....I'm done. Summer vacation and 4 kids has me teetering near the edge of sanity. icon_cry.gif

LOL, so true. Well, I'm happy to report that I used the white rum and it work perfectly, it dried super fast and did not taste at all. Thank you all, and now you know we have another choice to paint with luster dust. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%