Wood, Cake Drum, What?

Decorating By Reedsmomma Updated 22 Jun 2008 , 12:05am by mamacc

Reedsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reedsmomma Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 5:42pm
post #1 of 4

About a month ago, I made my son's birthday cake and believe I have found my niche! I have my very first order for this weekend, and I'm wondering...what do I use for a base for the cake? So far, I've only used my own cake plates, so I have no idea what would be the best to buy. What do you all use? Should I buy some cake drums or cut plywood pieces? The cake I'm making is a three tier cake with a 12" base tier...any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

3 replies
apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 4

I know Duff uses wood boards. I usually use precut cardboard rounds, and cover them with complimenting foil or paper. If it is a heavy cake, like a tiered or filled cake I use precovered and thick cake drums that are also made out of cardboard. I think you can get them on this site.... www.cakedeco.com I know I have also seen plexiglass rounds too, I guess whatever you feel comfortable using, something cost effective, and supportive. Good luck with you upcoming cake!

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 4

Welcome to CC!!

I use primarily 1/2" foam core board found at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. I'll use this for up to a 3-tiered cake. Many times I'll make a double base like a 14" and a 16" under the bottom 12" tier. It's just a personal preference for me - nice look and is fairly sturdy even for fondant cakes.

A lot of CC's use 1/2" and 3/4" plywood for heavy cakes. For heavier cakes I've started using boards from a cite online (Logic Pic) and have been pleased so far with them.

Good luck and experimenting with all types of boards will help you find the one you prefer! thumbs_up.gif

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:05am
post #4 of 4

I like foamcore too, if cardboard circles won't work...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%