Help!!! Need Cake Done In 2 Hours!!!

Decorating By weberm05 Updated 22 Jun 2008 , 6:47pm by tonedna

weberm05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weberm05 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 11

My red icing is not turning red!!!!!!! I made red icing before and no problems. I used like the whole container of no taste red...still pinkish...used the rest of christmas red....still pinkish....it's for about 2 2 1/2 cups of icing!!!!

Please hlep....any advice...thanks!

10 replies
susieq76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susieq76 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 11

Run to the store and buy red red.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 11

It gets darker the more it sits so there is a good chance that in 2 hrs it will be red.

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 11

try to make it pink first, then add your red. Make sure you get no taste, or use gel because too much it will taste terrible. It does darken the more it sits...

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 5:56pm
post #5 of 11

Well, that's a lot of icing, so it would figure it would take a lot of color.

Someone told me once if they were making red, they put a package of red Kool-Aid in the icing. Of course, it would obviously flavor the icing, but it might help.

If I'm doing red, I will very often just buy the red icing.

But yeah, it darkens as it sits.

Children Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Children Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 6:05pm
post #6 of 11

This works instantly....it does darken as it sits but it is usable immediately.

First take white icing and add yellow......mix well. Then add orange....mix well. Then add red.......personallly I would use Americolor if you have it but if not the wilton will work.. HTH. icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:05am
post #7 of 11

It wont help you today but in the future use chefmaster liqua gel color anbd you will get red instantly without using very much color. Their colors are very vibrant and it takes very little.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 1:32am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

It wont help you today but in the future use chefmaster liqua gel color anbd you will get red instantly without using very much color. Their colors are very vibrant and it takes very little.

I swear by Chefmaster red and black.. need VERY little to make the color vibrant icon_smile.gif

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 6:15pm
post #9 of 11

Did it darken up enough over time? It usually does - it never seems red enough until you are done icon_smile.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 6:26pm
post #10 of 11

I have learned that anytime I need red or black icing, I make it a day ahead since it really darkens as it sits. (sorry, no help right now)

I bought Americolor Red Red, or maybe it was super red online and it worked well. I also like to mix all my red brands together, it seems to work faster and darker.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 6:47pm
post #11 of 11

I use super red from chefmaster.. icon_biggrin.gif
Edna.. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%