When Will I Learn? :p

Decorating By DoniB Updated 1 Jul 2008 , 3:05am by lindy01

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:15am
post #61 of 101

Sorry about the double post, obviously I'm sleep deprived! I am just about to start a cake that's due tomorrow, and its 9:30. Nice cakes everyone!

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:26am
post #62 of 101

Everyone's cakes turned out great! Karabear -- you really kicked tail Friday night!!

I am going to attempt to attach the one cake I did Friday night -- I have not been successful with this feature before -- so if its not here its the tiger class reunion cake in my photos.

Uhm and yes -- I will be up this coming Friday night! Who else will be joining the party this coming weekend?!?

Suze

I guess I'm going to have to find a tutorial on how to attach photos to forum posts!!

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:39am
post #63 of 101

I should be here... probably right after Dr. Who is over. icon_smile.gif

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:16pm
post #64 of 101

Thanks so much for the compliments! I'm trying to do better and I still seem to find fault in every cake I do. I think the only cake I was happy with was the spongebob one lol

Doni, I will definately be here again Friday night for round 2 haha .. I hope everyone has a good week!

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:46pm
post #65 of 101

Yah! I get the weekend off to go camping with my much neglected family!

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 9:11pm
post #66 of 101

Wow, All of the cakes really looked good.

I tell you, there is nothing like doing a cake at the last minute.

I just love the rush I get. Oh yeah and the no sleep. icon_confused.gif

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 9:45pm
post #67 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettycrockermommy

Unfortunately, icon_lol.gif, twooten, I will not be joining you this Friday for another all nighter. That will be the first weekend all month long that I don't have a cake to make. But you all have fun! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Okay now, I am eating my words, icon_redface.gif . I just got an order for a two tiered 50th birthday cake for a friend's new MIL for this Saturday. ah well!! icon_lol.gif It should be fun to make. The theme is black and white, and I am going to make a figure of the MIL, two bassett hounds, and put a 50 in gumpaste on the top.

DoniB Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 2:24am
post #68 of 101

hey, bettycrockermommy... how's that cake going? icon_smile.gif

Anyone else up late tonight working on cakes for tomorrow? icon_smile.gif

I was going to start a new thread, but just decided to bring back the old one... easier for folks to find, if they wanted to.

So what's everyone working on tonight?

I actually managed to get my baking done during Dr. Who (what an awesome show tonight!!!), and since it's only a 6" cake (the 3" tall pan, though, so might be a tall-ish cake), I'm thinking I might just get some sleep and decorate tomorrow morning. It doesn't need to be delivered until 1, and it's just a tiny gathering/wine tasting. (several bottles of wine need to be tasted... just two of to do it. Life is hard. icon_lol.gif )

So I'm thinking it will be a basket with grapes piled on top and leaves and vines draping over the sides. Hopefully all buttercream. This particular friend has never had one of my cakes, so I want to wow her, even if it is a little one.

So who else is up and playing? icon_smile.gif

Doni, who may or may not stay up to decorate. Feel free to talk amongst yourselves. icon_biggrin.gif

Bettycrockermommy Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 3:56am
post #69 of 101

Hey Doni!! I was just coming back to check myself!! I have one 12 inch cake baked, and I am about to put another in the oven, just as soon as I get off the computer! icon_lol.gif My customer decided against the people, so I am just making a black/white cake like this one, except without all the swirlys on the top. This cake is from sampy here at CC!

My hubby called us "the friday night cake club" LMAO!!!

Doni, your cake sounds like it will be awesome! I can't wait for pics!
LL

Bettycrockermommy Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 6:25am
post #70 of 101

well, i guess no one is up tonight. I made my 2 12 inch cakes for the bottom tier and the 50 for the top, and I am going to bed. I don't have to leave the house with this cake until 5:30 tomorrow night, so I have plenty of time. I think. LOL

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 6:30am
post #71 of 101

Dang Bettycrockermommy, you're finished already?! I am so jealous!!! I have all of my cakes baked but I just can't seem to get moving. icon_cry.gif

I'm doing a stacked book cake with a grad cap, two boobies/breasts - whatever you like to call them, a male gential part, a six inch lemon cream cake (complete), 50 sugar cookies (complete), a dump truck cake (finished this part Thursday) with a 4" smash cake, and 10" lemon cream and chocolate chocolate cakes. Oh yeah, and a 1/8 sheet cake for aunt's BDay. icon_eek.gif

I still have to ice the gential cake and one boobie cake. Everything else is iced and ready to be decorated. I just can't get moving.

Does anyone know how to smooth out Bettercreme?It's on one of the boobie cakes and driving me nuts.

shanacoleman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanacoleman Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 6:52am
post #72 of 101

I use a hot knife...no water...just heat the knife over the stove and move quickly over the bc or it will melt fast. Learned that trick here at CC. Good luck.

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 7:09am
post #73 of 101

Does that work for Rich's Bettercreme? Not buttercream.

Karabear1125 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 8:14am
post #74 of 101

I'm here too! ..

LOL @ the friday night cake club!

It's good to be back amongst late night cake friends! Nice to keep eachother company this late at night. I am happy to report that I finally finished my cakes and am now going to relax for a little bit and go to bed.. Tonight was busy, I recruited my nephew to come over during the day to "play" with my 2 year old so that helped alot!! I actually got quite a bit accomplished.

So tonight we had a full sheet cake with edible images, a 1/2 sheet cake with edible images, both for graduation. An 8in square (i hate those darn square cakes!) made to look like a lil present..it came out alright, I was kinda rushin the bows. And finally a pair of flip flops carved from 1/4 sheet cake and put on top of a 1/2 sheet. PHEW! Made good time though, but I bet it's cause half of the cakes had the edibles. lol

Bettycrockermommy I love that cake you did!! It's awesome and came out so good! Doni - hope you're doing good over there and getting some rest, I like the idea of your cake, I can't wait to see it!

Well I'll talk to you guys soon!

Karabear1125 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 8:16am
post #75 of 101

Twooten, I just actually had to ice my full sheet cake with Rich's bettercreme and it wasn't that bad surprisingly. I ran my spatula under hot water for a few seconds and shook it a few times (to lazy to dry it off) and smoothed it out on the cake - it worked real good.

chrissy410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissy410 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 8:43am
post #76 of 101

I love all of your late night cakes!! I just finished my very first wedding cake. I'll post the pic tomorrow after the wedding. I am so extremely nervous that I'm going to have some kind of disaster. I'm using SPS. I started working on my cakes at 10:00 am and just now finished and that was with them already baked and frozen. I had to torte, level, fill, and decorate. It was not an easy task at all! I kept coming back to CC for information, how to's and entertainment! I don't know how some of you ladies do it all in one day!

DoniB Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 10:57am
post #77 of 101

LOL I love it!

Okay, so from now on, if it's Friday night, I'll try to post something from the Friday Night Cake Club in the General forum. icon_smile.gif

Although I might have one started for Thursday this coming week, in honor of Independence Day on Friday. I know I have one large 4th of July cake, a small birthday cake, cupcakes, and NFSC, so I'll be up. icon_razz.gif (And that's just for a family gathering. Of course, last time we got together, there were 45 of us, and roughly 1/3 of us weren't able to make it. That's just the close family, not counting 2nd cousins, great aunts and uncles, etc. icon_razz.gif)

Ah well... better get to making the stuff for today! icon_smile.gif

Can't wait to see folks' pictures! icon_smile.gif

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 11:16am
post #78 of 101

I love to do all my prep work well in advance. make the bow make the flowers etc. I also try and plan well so i do not feel rushed. I do not work well if I am rushed. Good luck

DoniB Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 11:20am
post #79 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tona

I love to do all my prep work well in advance. make the bow make the flowers etc. I also try and plan well so i do not feel rushed. I do not work well if I am rushed. Good luck

I'd LIKE to do that. I even PLAN to do that. It just never really happens that way. LOL I'm trying to work on it, though. That's the good part about starting out just doing this for friends and family... there's not nearly as much pressure (at least for me) to get it perfect, and it's a great period to figure out your working pace, what you DO need to do ahead of time, working out a timeline or schedule that works with your life, etc. At least, that's what I'm doing with it. icon_razz.gif

Bettycrockermommy Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 4:20pm
post #80 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by twooten173

Dang Bettycrockermommy, you're finished already?! I am so jealous!!! I have all of my cakes baked but I just can't seem to get moving. icon_cry.gif

God don't I wish!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I just gave in last night and went to bed! I have 8 hours before I have to deliver, and I still need to get my 8 inch cakes baked, BC made, and get the cakes iced and decorated!! It's gonna be a long day. The picture is just what I am HOPING this cake will turn out like.

DoniB Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 4:52pm
post #81 of 101

I ended up not doing a cake today. At least, not yet. icon_razz.gif I was supposed to take one to a friend's house, but the car decided not to start. so hubby made the executive decision that we won't be using it for more than a 20 minute drive until we can get our mechanic to look at it. icon_razz.gif (we did obviously get it running again, but it's running rough)

Ah well... I'm trying to cajole him into letting me go to the cake store, which is fairly close by. I mean, since I saved $20 on gas by NOT going to the friend's house (she lives about an hour away), and we were planning on spending that $20 anyhow, then I can use it on cake stuff, right? Like replacing my Wilton pans with 'good' pans? *grin* Yeah, he's not buying it either, but I'm still working on him... icon_razz.gif

Have fun, those who still have stuff to do.

Bettycrockermommy Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 5:19pm
post #82 of 101

That's too bad Doni. I was looking forward to seeing your cake. Sounded really cool. I hope you get the car fixed soon

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 8:01pm
post #83 of 101

Oh my cake soul mates! Where have you been?!?! OMG THIS IS SO ME!!!

Last night I went to bed at 5:30am!!! (Oh...that's this morning, isn't it?!) Poor dh tried to stay up with me and keep me company! He finally went to bed at 5am. I had to get up by 9:30 so I could be at a tasting appointment at 11am. I also had 2 dozen sugar cookies to drop off, plus I made mini cupcakes for the people at the office (at the wedding place that I'm a member of).

Well, it all paid off though! The couple who did the tasting loved it and booked with me and paid in full right then & there! That was over $500! I'm so happy! That'll be my 7th cake booked (my first year doing weddings).

But WHY OH WHY do I wait 'til the last minute?!?! icon_confused.gif It just KILLS me every time!!! icon_cry.gif

This last time I figured I'd do everything on Friday. Well, guess what - a pipe started leaking in our kitchen - we had to totally move everything, dh worked on it, then after that, put everything back and totally CLEAN everything! OMG, I didn't even start 'til after 5pm! Then realized that I was out of strawberry preserves OMG. Had to run to the store for that. Oh, and dinner (kids and dh want to eat?! icon_rolleyes.gif LOL) I offer 3 cake flavors & 3 icing flavors at my tastings (I just recently switched to cupcakes instead of 4" cakes - SO MUCH EASIER), plus I had to make sugar cookies - let them rest - roll, cut & bake 'em. Usually I ice them with royal icing. Not this time. I slapped fondant on those suckers! (I already had to make fondant anyway because the couple chose that as one of their icings to try).

I wasn't totally happy with the cookies, but they were ok. I gave the girl a discount anyway (kind of a friend).

Anyway - that's cool that I am not alone. But I have a question: Is anyone out there DESPERATELY trying to change this behavior?! icon_cry.gif I always swear that I've learned my lesson... icon_rolleyes.gif ...but I really do want to change! I feel like something is wrong with me!!!

I should be sleeping right now but my kitchen is such a mess!!! So I might as well just stay up now! icon_biggrin.gif

mom2spunkynbug Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 8:03pm
post #84 of 101

Forgot to add...if I knew about this Friday night cake club earlier...I don't think it would've helped things LOL The computer is SO BAD for me. Once I get on, I don't know how to get off - seriously!!! icon_cry.gif

DoniB Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 8:08pm
post #85 of 101

mom2, I think we're all here BECAUSE of this behavior. icon_razz.gif

Hmmm... should we form a support group? Start nagging each other on Wednesday... I can send out reminders to go shopping, get that fondant made and drying, stock up on all your cake boards/boxes/separators/etc, double check orders, inspect kitchen, and make the list for the hubby so that if the world ends while you're piping, he can still order dinner, take the kids to a movie, get them to bed, etc. icon_razz.gif (okay, so that last one is a pipe dream heheh... pipe. Get it? moving on...)

I can nag. I won't take my own advice, of course, and I'll be running around the night before, like I always do, but I can nag! ROFL icon_lol.gif

mom2spunkynbug Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 8:53pm
post #86 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniB

(okay, so that last one is a pipe dream heheh... pipe. Get it? moving on...)

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif good one icon_biggrin.gif

Bettycrockermommy Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 12:22am
post #87 of 101

Mom2, I keep saying that I am gonna be more prepared, but it never happens. This just seems to be how I work. I begin the week fully intending to do a little each day, and then, one day I don't feel well, the next day, the kids are being monsters, and then before I know it, it's Friday night, and I still have everything to do! icon_lol.gif

ah well...At least I am done with today's cake. Just have to go change and deliver. I will post pics when I get back home.

lindy01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindy01 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 12:45am
post #88 of 101

i'm dreading next week! its my engagement party and i've got to make a cake for Saturday, my partner would like to take a cake to his work on the friday (a girly theme one) i promised a lady weeks ago that i'd make a 21st cake for her son, as she saw a 21st cake i made for his friend. and then its my sisters birthday on the sunday and she wants a cake as well.
luckly i managed to get the friday off work. but the 21st cake lady is wanting pick up on friday! ahh its going to be an all nighter!

DoniB Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:06am
post #89 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy01

ahh its going to be an all nighter!

well, check back in, then. I guarantee that unless I grow a Major Clue (as in, get organized and stuff) in the next few days, I'll be working into the wee hours on thursday night. icon_razz.gif LOL

mom2spunkynbug Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:42am
post #90 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettycrockermommy

Mom2, I keep saying that I am gonna be more prepared, but it never happens. This just seems to be how I work. I begin the week fully intending to do a little each day, and then, one day I don't feel well, the next day, the kids are being monsters, and then before I know it, it's Friday night, and I still have everything to do! icon_lol.gif

ah well...At least I am done with today's cake. Just have to go change and deliver. I will post pics when I get back home.

Yup, that's what I do too. I mean, it's not on ALL of my cakes...but most of them. And I don't work well under pressure (with cakes anyway!). I like taking my time & doing good work! Not rushing!

For this weekend's cakes, I was planning on starting them early on in the week. Well, like you said...things happen and the next thing you know it's Friday night & I'm just starting! And all the while I'm thinking GEEZ I could've made this days ago!

Thank goodness I pretty much have next week off. Only one class to teach on Monday and no cakes or tastings. I'm going to try really hard to get organized next week!

I'm going to try and clean up and organize the kitchen a little right now! icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%