Calling All Fondant Experts - Need To Emboss

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 19 Jun 2008 , 7:50pm by wgoat5

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 11

A girl at work is getting married and they asked me to make a cake for the shower that her department is throwing. I showed the hostess this square cake with a dress on it and she said, "Perfect, it almost looks like her dress." So I sneakingly asked the bride all sorts of questions including, "Did you pick out a dress yet? Do you have pictures if you did? I would love to see it." So she sent it to me and it has a pattern on it. I would love to BLOW away the hostess and bride with this cake and try to replicate the design on her dress...maybe not exactly, but something close.

I've barely worked with fondant and never have applied fondant on a cake, let alone emboss fondant. So here goes, looking at this pattern (see picture below), what should I use to try to acheive this look? Do you know where I can buy the embossing tools?

Thanks in advance.
LL

10 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 11

You might look for a textured rolling pin with a similar design but I don't know if you'll be able to match it exactly. Do a google search for textured rolling pins and you should be able to find something.

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 11

Wow that really pretty! It almost looks like damask to me... Check global sugar for a pin. I don't know how to apply textured fondant to a cake, but I've always wondered, so I'm going to keep an eye on this thread. How do you keep from distorting the pattern when you smooth it on the cake?

cerobs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 11

Fiskars is a scrapbooking company and in teh scrapbooking section of the craft store they sell something called embossing plates, they are blue.

They come in a box of 5 double sided plates, so 10 patters, for around $10.00

it is less expensive than the pins and much easier to get quickly. they are made to imboss paper so they don't leave as deep an impression as the pins do.

roll your fondant and dust with corn starch, I don't dsut the plate b/c it fills up the bits and you get a bad impression, then place the impression mat on your fondant and push down all over with a fondant smoother, reposition the plate to cover your whole piece, trim to size you need and place on cake.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 6:02pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindywith3boys

How do you keep from distorting the pattern when you smooth it on the cake?

i always wonder that too. icon_confused.gif

Trixyinaz Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 6:33pm
post #7 of 11

ack....I was never notified that I had any replies. This is is great information to know. And yes, I would love to find out how to keep the impression when you smooth it on the cake.

Thanks.

Trixyinaz Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 6:45pm
post #8 of 11

Okay, how do you use the stencils? I'm really confused here icon_lol.gif (it doesn't take much)

I found this rolling pin today and it is only $13. I'm so excited! I know it isn't even close to the design, but I wasn't hopfull that I woudl find one anyway. Do you think they'd still be AMAZED ...this is the closest I have been able to find.
LL

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 7:18pm
post #9 of 11

ACK!!!! I did a cake a while back using a brand new replica of the old ceiling TINS.. remember ever seeing old buildings with this as ceilings? They now make them in copper look as well ...

Anywho I have a new tile that almost looks exactly like that !!!! And all I did was press it into the fondant icon_smile.gif

Trixyinaz Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 7:33pm
post #10 of 11

Christi, where did you get that tile?

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 7:50pm
post #11 of 11

http://www.americantinceilings.com/?gclid=COaSr7KkgZQCFRZjnAodnjN_WA

I can't remember the exact place.. but look at this one icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%