Confession.....

Decorating By Michelle104 Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 7:18pm by Jenn2179

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:57am
post #1 of 17

DD birthday is today. She's 7. We're having a party for her at the end of the month and I'll do the tinkerbell cake that she wants. She springs on me yesterday that she wants to have family over tonight for cake and icecream. I said ok but just a baked cake with icing. Nothing fancy. Fine with her. Weeellllll.....we had play date today and swam, then had to stop at the grocery store for formula for the baby, the by the pizza place for dinner. By the time we got home my dad was here for a haircut and it was already 5. No time to bake!!! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif Soooo, I called DH and had him run by walmart on the way home from work and pick up a cake. She just wanted choc with bc. They only had ONE choc cake and it was the awfullest color combo!!! icon_eek.gif BLEH!!!! You should have heard all the tapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.gif that my dad gave me for not baking a cake and buying a ready made one. icon_rolleyes.gif Just like the mechanics car that doesn't run well??? Anyone else done this????? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif Please tell me I'm not the only one!!! icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

16 replies
Zaxapi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zaxapi Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:03am
post #2 of 17

I dont make cakes for a living but I love to make them as my hobby. I have to admit there have been times when I just dont have time to make a cake and I have to take a store bought one.

Theres just not enough hours in the day to get everything done sometimes.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:09am
post #3 of 17

HOW DARE YOU !!!!!!!!!!! That is just OUTRAGIOUS

icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

Yes hun we have all done this I believe icon_confused.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

You sound like me though... the kids never have their birthday on their birthday it seems LOL we are celebrating all month long LOL

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:10am
post #4 of 17

I've done that too...my daughter's first birthday, I ended up buying a walmart cake and spraying it blue and jamming a plastic nemo on the top. I've also thrown together a couple of really ugly cakes for birthdays when I was short on time.

We had to move unexpectedly and we were in the middle of moving on my husband's birthday. I offered to pick up a cake at the store, because all my cake stuff was packed, and he said he would just go without a cake for the birthday if I didn't love him enough to make a homemade one. So then I decided to do a strawberry poke cake with cool whip on top...but my blender was packed so I couldn't puree strawberries, so I just used jello...and then I had the bright idea to write happy birthday on top with a little gel tube I came across in the move (I bought them at Christmas, so it was still good). Anyhow, the gel sunk down into the cool whip/pudding combo, and it looked like a horror movie cake, because the red gel was oozing out of what looked like slashes in the flesh-colored topping (which is what you get when you mix strawberry cool whip and french vanilla pudding). Not one of my finer moments...and my beloved husband took pictures of it too icon_redface.gif I made him a cute father's day cake but he's still going on about not having a birthday cake...and he was making jokes about the cobbler's children going barefoot.

Michelle104 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:13am
post #5 of 17

icon_lol.gif Yeah!! It is sort of month long thing. Not on purpose though! icon_redface.gif Anna has the same birthday every year and EVERY year it sneaks up on me!! icon_confused.gif I don't know if it's because it's at the beginning of the summer and kids just got out of school and yadda yadda yadda..... icon_rolleyes.gif Maybe when I grow up I'll forget that I don't remember!!! icon_confused.gificon_redface.gificon_razz.gif

wgoat5 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:15am
post #6 of 17

LMAO

I forget to remember to forget all the time icon_smile.gif

It's the growing old thing I think icon_sad.gif LOL

Michelle104 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:16am
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I've done that too...my daughter's first birthday, I ended up buying a walmart cake and spraying it blue and jamming a plastic nemo on the top. I've also thrown together a couple of really ugly cakes for birthdays when I was short on time.

We had to move unexpectedly and we were in the middle of moving on my husband's birthday. I offered to pick up a cake at the store, because all my cake stuff was packed, and he said he would just go without a cake for the birthday if I didn't love him enough to make a homemade one. So then I decided to do a strawberry poke cake with cool whip on top...but my blender was packed so I couldn't puree strawberries, so I just used jello...and then I had the bright idea to write happy birthday on top with a little gel tube I came across in the move (I bought them at Christmas, so it was still good). Anyhow, the gel sunk down into the cool whip/pudding combo, and it looked like a horror movie cake, because the red gel was oozing out of what looked like slashes in the flesh-colored topping (which is what you get when you mix strawberry cool whip and french vanilla pudding). Not one of my finer moments...and my beloved husband took pictures of it too icon_redface.gif I made him a cute father's day cake but he's still going on about not having a birthday cake...and he was making jokes about the cobbler's children going barefoot.

ROTFLMBO!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Why is it they remember those things instead of all the great things we do???? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 5:01pm
post #8 of 17

I have taken a LOT of you-know-what over the last eight months because I am pregnant and the thought of buttercream makes my stomach turn! Fortunately, there is a wonderful bakery 45 min. away where I bought the bday cakes for my sons this past February and May. My husband is actually starting to worry about me because I haven't wanted to bake. I'm starting to get the itch I think, cause this is my second trip to CC in a week!

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 5:16pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle_75

I have taken a LOT of you-know-what over the last eight months because I am pregnant and the thought of buttercream makes my stomach turn! Fortunately, there is a wonderful bakery 45 min. away where I bought the bday cakes for my sons this past February and May. My husband is actually starting to worry about me because I haven't wanted to bake. I'm starting to get the itch I think, cause this is my second trip to CC in a week!

hey, when you're pregnant, all bets are OFF! When I was preggers, my hubby had to go without pork chops the entire time, because the smell of them cooking would bring me to my knees. icon_razz.gif

wgoat5 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 5:22pm
post #10 of 17

PORK CHOPS??? HE HAD TO GO WITHOUT PORK CHOPS?????!!!!!??? Thats a travisty it really is... my fav. fried pork chops and taters..

Thanks I'm hungry now LOL

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 5:33pm
post #11 of 17

Last August for my sons 5th b-day, I was so busy that week, my husband said I should just buy him a cake so I wouldn't be stressed. So I did. It was awful... I told them he wanted Star Wars, so they had an edible image (can't screw that up, right?). Just use colors that match. I picked up the ugliest cake I've ever seen. It had the edible image(with a wrinkle in it), but the sides were this really ugly grayish color, with hunter green top border and bright orange bottom border (both poorly done). That wasn't even the worst part... when we ate the cake, it tasted like they stored it in the same fridge with onions and garlic. Eeeeewwwww! Needles to say, I will never be "too busy" to make my family's cakes again. Oh yeah, and on a side note, that bakery is no longer in business. I wonder why?

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 5:33pm
post #12 of 17

Unfortunately, I completely understand! I have been there too. I have shafted my kids many times.

August is our "birthday month". Actually, we have moved several times during "the birthday month". It's hard to make a great cake when your're trying to pack!

My birthday and three of my girls have a birthday in August! And sadly my son's BD is two weeks before Christmas! So then I'm always busy with that.....not to mention out of money!

Maybe I will make an extravagant cake for the baby. She will turn one on Nov. 2nd. No, wait a minute, I will be tired from Halloween and getting ready for Thanksgiving! icon_cry.gif

Thanks for posting! I will need to start planning now! August will be here before I know it! icon_wink.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 5:39pm
post #13 of 17

Hey we all do it. For fathers day, my DH got a frozen Sarah Lee Bostom Cream cake! (he LOVES boston cream cake and I just didnt have time to make it!) He was fine with it!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 5:47pm
post #14 of 17

Hey, I'm in a group that meets one a month and since I'm a *pastry chef*, I also have to show up with dessert. Well, after attending this group for more years than I want to admit, I usually forget what day its on. And I've had to go buy dessert too many times. I about cried when I gave up $36 or so for 2 9" pies at the local pie shop. Probably would have cost me $3 to make at home.

wgoat5 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 5:57pm
post #15 of 17

Hey Leahs have you ever had Angel bites made in Louisville? I'm trying to think of the bakery that makes them.... icon_rolleyes.gif

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:40pm
post #16 of 17

How do you think I know how delicious Pulix cakes are? LOL

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:18pm
post #17 of 17

You should have seen the cake I just made for DH's b-day. Lemon pound cake but I used up all the extra colored icing I had so it was pink and yellow with some green writing. It was just for us and I had made a good cake earlier in the week when we got together with the family.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%