Do I Bring This Up With 8 Days To Go?!

Decorating By MikeRowesHunny Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 4:52pm by tonedna

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 12:43pm
post #1 of 20

OK, kinda my fault, I should have double checked before, BUT............I have a wedding cake due next Wednesday. I originally suggested a 6in square on top of a 10in round for the design they liked. At first they agreed, but then a few days later decided to reduce the number of servings, so the 10in round was changed to a 9in round. I said at the time that I thought it might look a bit cramped considering the design they wanted.

Today I was messing around stacking pans deciding what to use for my daughter's birthday cake, and I stacked a 6in square on top of the 9in round, and yes, IMHO, it IS going to look cramped!!! I put the square onto the 10in round and it looked a lot better and like the original design they chose.

So, here's the thing. If I make the cakes 3in tall instead of 4in tall (which won't effect the look of the design and even looking at the pans looks nicely balanced), they will have the same number of servings as a 6&9in. Do I suggest this to my bride & groom, at first she said she didn't care when they changed the sizes, but I think she might when she sees the final cake in the smaller round!?

I've attached the two combos, what do you think?
LL
LL
LL

19 replies
Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 12:54pm
post #2 of 20

I like your idea better, reducing the tier hieght to 3" and increasing the round to 10". I would think if you aren't going to change the price then she won't know the difference.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 12:55pm
post #3 of 20

Oh, I love watching dancers do the Quickstep! It looks like such a fun dance!

Anyway, I would suggest that you send comparison pics of both combinations, then let them decide. I would also send pics from a front view, since that is the way people will see it when from a distance.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 12:58pm
post #4 of 20

Hmmm.....You're right, that last one does look cramped. I don't think it would hurt to mention it to her. I think that would be much better than having her become aware of it for the first time when she sees the cake on her wedding day.

The other option, of course, would be to make the executive decision that the cake needs to be done on the 10" and go ahead and make it that way and only charge her for the 9". This normally wouldn't be your problem, but since you just realized the issue a week before the wedding, it might be easier to just do it that way this time.

I think the second option is what I would probably would go for.

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:01pm
post #5 of 20

I'd call and mention it to the bride. I probably wouldn't even charge anything different since there's really not much difference in the ingredients between the two sizes (unless you're making some really expensive cake flavors). Personally, I like the look of a taller cake, and I'd prefer a 4" to a 3", especially for a tiered cake. I know I've changed sizes before without consulting the customer (only to their benefit--I've only upped the size, never decreased it) and they've always been happy I chose to do it. I've never charged anything more for changing the size. It just makes me feel better about my cake and the photos I take for my album look better to me.

Good luck. The cake is adorable, BTW!!!!

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:02pm
post #6 of 20

I would definitely mention it to her.......there is still time to fix and make something look better so why make it knowing it looks cramped and take the chance of her being disappointed. I would just call and give her a quick heads up and let her know what your find is......

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:04pm
post #7 of 20

I think they both look cramped in comparison to the cake photo.

How 'bout a 10" round with a 4" square?

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:06pm
post #8 of 20

Unless you knock the corners off of the 6"

Mike

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:09pm
post #9 of 20

99% of my business is wedding cakes, so I deal with Brides ALL the time. With 8 days to go, I'd upsize her cake to the original design and consider it a gift. I would not call her about a minor detail like this. Trust me, a week before the wedding she does not want to deal with this.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:16pm
post #10 of 20

I have a little dealie on my order blank that says that I reserve the right to make thier cake to the best of my ability. That means like if a venue has the cake table in front of a window with full sun I will make sure the curtain gets drawn, or they move the table stuff like that. That I'm not gonna call last minute and bug her/them. To me anything after the final payment is last minute. So I would just make it the prettiest.

I couldn't agree with Leahs more.

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:21pm
post #11 of 20

I was thinking exactly what Leah said. I think you should just give her the bigger size and not charge her.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:23pm
post #12 of 20

Agree with leahs - absolutely.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:24pm
post #13 of 20

I was thinking what Leah said as well. I have done that before-and when you are talking 1 inch, it is such a small price increase for you that it shouldn't make too much of a difference in your profit. For the sake of you and your cake looking good, add the extra inch for free.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:37pm
post #14 of 20

Thanks guys, I wasn't going to charge her more in any situation - she's already had 15% off my original price because she booked her cake within an 'early bird' offer I had going, and she changed the colour on me AFTER I had bought 1kg red fondant for the top cake, stripes and cake board (she's now having Tiffany blue!), again, I didn't make a fuss about that or charge her for the red fondant I had already bought. Plus, I had to redo her cake toppers using blue accents instead of red - again without fuss and for free. All in all, I think I've 'gifted' enough on this cake already!!! This cake is only for 40 servings, and she's having 2 flavours, so I don't really want to reduce the size of that top tier at all, I may just keep that as a 4in deep cake. By the time I've double filled a 3in cake and covered with buttercream and fondant, it'll be 4in tall at least anyway, so should look OK. I think I'm just going to do the 10in and not say anything, as a 9x4in round and 10x3in round serve the same in my book anyway!

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:42pm
post #15 of 20

I agree with leahs!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:53pm
post #16 of 20

Agree with leahs .... again!! thumbs_up.gif

MikeRowesHunny Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:58pm
post #17 of 20

Well, here it is. It's huge - could serve many more people than they need - perhaps they'll share with the other restaurant patrons and I'll get some extra business lol! The bottom tier is over 6in tall (not quite sure how that happened), top 4ins tall.

I hope they like it, I did email them to tell them I had increased the size, so I will just instruct the restaurant to serve bigger pieces!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1236408.html

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:22pm
post #18 of 20

Queenie, as usual, it's a gem! So cute.

I was looking at your site at the section where you have pictures of people with your cakes. I LOVE that pic of the little girl, mesmerized by her doll cake. LOL She is in love.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:34pm
post #19 of 20

Isn't she just the prettiest little girl?! I get to do her next birthday cake at the end of July - can't wait, they are a delightful family and always so appreciative of what I make for them!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:52pm
post #20 of 20

I say the same..If I consider it my mistake, I fix it and give them what looks good..I dont want them to be unhappy and I dont think last minutes changes on my part are good since I dont like last minute changes on the bride sides either..
I say too, go with the original design and dont ask.
Your work is your advertisement...So.. think of it like that....
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%