3D Cakes Using Cake Mixes

Decorating By susgene Updated 11 Aug 2005 , 9:16pm by MichelleG

susgene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susgene Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 7

Quick Question: I'm using the 3D Choo Choo Train pan for the first time. I see the instructions say to use pound cake mix, but I have been asked to make one train chocolate and another train strawberry (I use the DH mixes).

Do you think the DH strawberry and devils food cake mixes will hold up good enough??? I'd hate to ruin two little boys birthdays!

Thank you!

6 replies
unforgetable2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unforgetable2u Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 7

I am by no means an expert but personally i think DH would be too moist . A pound cake is alot more dense. hopefully someone else also posts their opinion i am also curious as to the right answer icon_wink.gif

Thalia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thalia Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 7

I've been asked to make the same thing in October for a friend and just bought the 3D train pan myself. Was going to use DH mix too...so thank you for asking this! I'll be watching post and would love any words of advice when you are done!

Thank you - Thaliaicon_smile.gif

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 6:43pm
post #4 of 7

You could add the cake mix extender recipe from this site to your mix it will make your cake more dense. I don't know the pan you are talking about so I'm not sure but I use the extender a lot. You can use it with any flavor cake and it makes a fairly dense cake so I think it would work. Maybe someone else who knows the pan will have a better idea.

Mommyof2Angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommyof2Angels Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 7:15pm
post #5 of 7

I have done the 3-d train pan with a cake mix and had no trouble with it icon_smile.gif
make a practice one with the mix and see how you like it....
Mine turned out fine though ..
GOOD LUCK
Nicole

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 7:27pm
post #6 of 7

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1977-4-Cake-Mix-extender.html

Here's a link to the cake mix extender. It should help to thicken it up a bit. You could also try adding an extra egg to make it thicker. Hope that helps!

MichelleG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleG Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 9:16pm
post #7 of 7

I used the durable cake for 3D and wedding cakes recipe found on this website. It works really well with all flavors. I just used it with duncan hines dark chocolate fudge cake. Yummy icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%