Cream Cheese Icing On Chocolate Cake?

Decorating By kellycat102938 Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 12:54pm by patrincia

kellycat102938 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellycat102938 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:54am
post #1 of 17

Has anybody tried Cream cheese icing on chocolate cake? Did it taste good. It's my son's birthday on the weekend and he wants a chocolate cake which I have never made before. I also have no experience with which icing would taste good on a chocolate cake. I know how to make a cream cheese icing......would that work?
My son is turing 5, so I don't want it super sweat. 10 sugar filled kids would be a nightmare.
Kelly-Please help...running out of timeicon_smile.gif

16 replies
mogzilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mogzilla Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:13am
post #2 of 17

I think cream cheese icing goes well with just about anything...I've been known to eat leftover icing straight out of the fridge with a spoon.

I made chocolate cupcakes last month with cream cheese icing that I folded crushed Oreo cookies into. Mmmmm...the cream cheese cut the sweetness of the cookies and adults and kids were raving.

mogzilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mogzilla Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:17am
post #3 of 17

I think cream cheese icing goes well with just about anything...I've been known to eat leftover icing straight out of the fridge with a spoon.

I made chocolate cupcakes last month with cream cheese icing that I folded crushed Oreo cookies into. Mmmmm...the cream cheese cut the sweetness of the cookies and adults and kids were raving.

jillycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillycakes Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 17

I've filled chocolate cakes w/ a layer of cream cheese filling topped w/ fresh sliced strawberries. Delicious!

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 17

YUM YUM! It is good.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:06pm
post #6 of 17

I just served a simple Chocolate cake made from the chocolate version for WASC and served it with Bronwen's buttermilk BC. Everyone loved it and I didn't think it was too sweet tasting.

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:10pm
post #7 of 17

Oooh, choc cake and cream cheese icing is AWESOME! If you think about it, most people put cream cheese icing on red velvet cake, and that is just a light choc cake.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:11pm
post #8 of 17

Cream cheese icing goes with everything, to me. Just flavor it to compliment the cake. I've done a chocolate cream cheese icing for chocolate cake.

patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:12pm
post #9 of 17

I think the flavors go well enough together, but the light color of the cream cheese frosting won't cover the dark color of the chocolate cake very well - you'll need a very thick layer to make it opaque enough to conceal the cake completely.

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:58pm
post #10 of 17

The flavor combo is excellent together. Sometimes I'll even bake brownies, fill,stack and ice with cream cheese icing. I also second patrincia on the thick layer as well.

kellycat102938 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:42pm
post #11 of 17

I am going to color the icing a medium to medium dark grey. Do you think this will conceal the chocolate cake?

patrincia Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:46pm
post #12 of 17

Gray? not the most appetizing color, but I'm sure you have your reasons, which must have something to do with your son's party theme icon_smile.gif.

I don't know how well it will work, but I'm sure your son will love the results either way icon_smile.gif.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:49pm
post #13 of 17

I love cream cheese icing and chocolate cake. I have no trouble at all covering the cake and the chocoalte showing through. So, with color you definitely should be okay.

Tweedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedie Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:51pm
post #14 of 17

I, and I'm sure many many other people, have iced chocolate cakes with white icing and it works just fine. You just have to get the icing thick enough as with any other cake/icing combo.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:51pm
post #15 of 17

Chocolate and Cream cheese filling is one of my most popular requests.
If your worried about coverage, crumb coat it with either bc or a thin layer of cream cheese frosting.
The recipe I use crusts just like bc and covers as well.
Good Luck.

kellycat102938 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:52pm
post #16 of 17

my son's cake is a 10x10 cake with a modelled rocket ship, 2 robots and a bunch of stars sticking up. Does dark grey sound ok? I have lots of blue icing left over that i decided not to use at the time, so I was hoping to use this and just color it a dark drey? what do you think

patrincia Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:54pm
post #17 of 17

I think it will look wonderful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%