Sour Cream In Cake Mix??

Decorating By MayWest Updated 19 Jun 2014 , 1:01am by cupcakegirl94

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 12:50am
post #31 of 34

I almost posted last week because I made my first WASC cake.

People aren't kidding when they say it's the best cake they ever tasted. It was amazing.

I used DH dark chocolate cake mix, and omitted the almond flavoring. It was moist and dense, without being excessively heavy. It torted beautifully and didn't fall apart at all. It also didn't crumb very much. I froze it first, then cut tort layers when it was no longer frozen, but still cold.

Seriously, add me to the list of CC posters who will never make another type of cake. Next on my list to try: Spice, then Lemon.

Tweedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedie Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 8:51pm
post #32 of 34

Does anyone do this (add the sour cream) to scratch made cakes? Just wondering if it works out the same as with a mix. If so, how much...still a cup?

Thanks!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 9:36pm
post #33 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwithana

I have a question......do any of you use DH as their cakes are already SO moist that I find that they almost fall apart when torting.......if I add sour cream, I am scared that they will turn to mush or do you use Pillsbury/BC....or does it matter????

I don't find box mixes all that moist, even DH, so when I was using them I would use the extender recipe that calls for sour cream with DH cake mix. Moist and dense!

cupcakegirl94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakegirl94 Posted 19 Jun 2014 , 1:01am
post #34 of 34

AI'm in the need of some serious and fast help! This is my very first time making a wedding cake. Its a double round but I have 7 of them. I'm going to use DH cake mix. Previous years I've used mayo in the mixes. As I'm reading on here everyone is saying to use sour cream. What do I do.?? I don't want my cakes to crumble or get messy in the icing, its extreamly hot in my place I also have to do mini cupcakes. What's the cheapest way and most helpful way to make the mixes taste amazing! ?? Please help me I'm needing tips the cakes are being baked tomarrow night

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%