Bleeding Strawberries

Decorating By chqtpi Updated 15 Jun 2008 , 8:18pm by BrandisBaked

chqtpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chqtpi Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 6

ok..this is the second time this has happened...and i need to just fix it already icon_smile.gif

I made a cake just for a picnic..nothing special..and i sliced strawberries in half and placed them nicely on the buttercream....20 minutes later..they are bleeding/leaking and juice is running all over the sides of the cake!! what the heck!??!

I have a cake due this week that has the same type of decorations on top with sliced strawberries..how do i prevent this from happening?! she is picking up the cake and driving 40 minutes with it...thanks for your help in advance!!

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 6

That's what strawberries are supposed to do when they come in contact with sugar, especially if they're sliced.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 6

how about not slicing them? or can you give them a brush with the jelly stuff they put on top of those fresh fruit tarts. I don't know what it's called.

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 6

Are you putting them between layers? And are you using a good stiff dam? I'm not sure how you can prevent this if you are putting them on top. Sliced strawberries will release a lot of liquid when they come in contact with sugar.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 8:11pm
post #5 of 6

Strawberries + Sugar = an increasing quantity of delicious JUICE.

Whole strawberries are better, but they will also bleed a bit.

I'm afraid I know of know solution. The best you can do is add the strawberries at the last second or incorporate the juice into the design!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 8:18pm
post #6 of 6

Sugar is hygroscopic. It will suck the moisture out of the strawberries and leave you a lovely pool.

Try dipping them in piping gel first.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%