Virginia Cake Bakers

Business By cakesbydina Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 11:41pm by mlrojas

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 5

does anyone know where to get info on running a cake business out of the home in Virginia? New to selling cakes and want to make sure I am doing it all by the book. Do I need a license? A commercial kitchen? Taxes? Any tips for virginia bakers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks gals


4 replies
mlrojas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlrojas Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 12:41am
post #2 of 5

Contact the Commonwealth for an application packet. All you need is a permit to sell. As far as the kitchen goes, you don't need to have commercial grade, however the packet will give you their requirements. Printing up the lables is the most time consuming part, everything else is relatively easy. Good luck!

misssprisss20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misssprisss20 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 7:58pm
post #3 of 5

Whom do we contact in the common wealth. I have tried looking on the websites but I get all sorts of lost. icon_smile.gif

Any Help would be much apperciated.

By the way is there anyone in the Hampton Roads area??


CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 8:08pm
post #4 of 5

I just got liscenced in Virginia last month. Here is what you need.

You will need to register your business name if it does not contain your name (ie. Cakes by Jane Doe). you will be filing a fictious name certificate. You will have to do this for advertising purposes and to use business cards if you plan to.

Next you will need to contact the Dept of Agriculture and ask for a packet of information regarding operation of a home baking business. They will send you a packet of info and you will need to fill out the info, type up your recipes (all of them) and submit a drawing or diagram of your kitchen as well as write out your baking process. Once you have sent that in they will contact you to set up a time for your home inspection. Nothing to be worried about. Just be sure your kitchen is clean, no bugs or anything like that of course. All of your baking supplies and ingredients MUST be kept seperate from household ingredients and supplies. You do not need to print labels unless you are creating filings, etc and selling them canned or in a container. For cakes labels are not needed.

Thats it!!!
Hope that helps!

mlrojas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlrojas Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 5

DEPT OF AG!! I thought of that after the fact and couldn't find this thread to add that. Yup, what Courture Cakes said!

Quote by @%username% on %date%