Do You Sell Double Or Triple Layer Cakes?

Business By Trixyinaz Updated 14 Jun 2008 , 10:22pm by snarkybaker

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 10:48am
post #1 of 13

I'm just curious to see what the norm is. I'm contumplating (sp) on doing triple layer cakes, but really wanted to see what you all do and if people are even wanting triple layer cakes, let alone pay for the extra layer and filling.

edited to add 4 layers to the poll.

12 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 10:55am
post #2 of 13

First... I don't know of any norm in the cake busines. A lot of things are regional. (I mean we can't even pick the same sizes for sheet cakes with all the decorators we have on here)

I do either 2 or 4 layers. Depending on what the customer wants.

I prefer the look of 4 layers w/3 filling and do that as often as possible... it also allows me to get two different fillings in there pretty easy w/o doing it on each layer.

I see a big difference also on the occasion it is for. A lot of people only do 2 layers for non-wedding cakes and only do 4 layers for wedding cakes.

Trixyinaz Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 11:07am
post #3 of 13

Thanks Leily. Yeah, I guess you are right aobut there not being a norm in cake business....icon_lol.gif

Do you mind me asking, what do you charge per serving for a double layer cake vs. a 4 layer cake? I mean, it's double the cake and filling so I'm thinking your pricing is doubled?

I can see that more people would want 4 layer cakes for weddings and just 2 layer cakes for other occassions. Did you originally set out to offer both 2 and 4 layers or did you just grow into 4 layers meaning you didn't start doing 4 layers until you started getting requests for them.

I find all this so fascinating. Thanks for taking the time to answer my poll and question.

Oh yeah, are your layers 2" each?

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 11:21am
post #4 of 13

To get the "4 layers", you would not have 4 cakes.... you would slice 2 cakes in half and ice and stack those..... You would have more icing and filling, but you would have the same amount of cake.....

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 11:26am
post #5 of 13

I usually do 2 layer cakes, to me, that means, 2 10 inch cake layers, torted. I have 3 layer cake for next week. It will be 3 10 inch cake layers, torted.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 11:44am
post #6 of 13

I don't know of anyone who would routinely make 8in high cakes!!! I agree with grama_j, when people talk about '4 layers', they mean 1in high layers (made by cutting 2in layers in half), and putting in 3 layers of filling, resulting in a cake that's 5-6in tall when completed. I either do these, or bake 3in high cakes that I cut into 3 layers and have 2 layers of filling, making the finished cake about 4in tall. It all depends on the look I need and how many people the cakes need to feed, plus the customers preference, if any!

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 11:51am
post #7 of 13

4 layers..2 cakes torted for two layers each.

Anything less....is less. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:06pm
post #8 of 13

agree with bonjovibabe!! And most cake plates are only 6", so you'd have cake-overhang on the plate! icon_eek.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:16pm
post #9 of 13

Sorry I should have given more information.

All of my cakes are 4" high.

my 2 layer cakes of (2) 2" layers with filling in between.
my 4 layer cakes have (4) 1" layers with filling in between.

I only bake (2) 2" cakes for each one unless I am getting into topsy turvy or sculpted cakes.

Trixyinaz Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:23pm
post #10 of 13

okay, that makes more sense to me. Thanks!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 3:53pm
post #11 of 13

I always bake two 2in layers of cake. The finish product may be two layers of cake with one layer of filling or four 1in layers (2in torted) with three layers of filling.

Basicly if they only want buttercream in the middle I will do just the two layers and don't bother torting. If they want filling then then I'll do two layers of filling, one layer of buttercream and 4 layers of cake.

I need to sit down and figure my prices and at this point I don't think I am going to charge anything different between the two. I'll charge for the costs of filling and if they decide they don't want it, okay, I'll just make a little more money on the cake and save both of us the confusion of several different price qoutes for this and that.

shaloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaloop Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 6:25pm
post #12 of 13

I make all 3 layer cakes with two layers of filling. My cakes are about 5" tall. However, I make dessert cakes (No specialty decorating) and are mostly wholesale, so a couple actually requested 3 layer cakes.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 10:22pm
post #13 of 13

Depends...

Party Cakes - $35 for 8 inch round- 2 layers
Specialty cakes - $38-50 for 8 inch round - 3 layers
Wedding cake - $4.50 and up per serving, 4 layers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%