Shaping Edible Wafer Paper

Decorating By jcmm1014 Updated 14 Jun 2008 , 12:02am by SpudCake

jcmm1014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcmm1014 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 4

I want to do some calligraphy on wafer paper and make a scroll document for a cake. Can I roll the ends and what would be the best way to do this? I have never used this before so any help would be great.
Susie icon_smile.gif

3 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 4

Well, here's a bump, cause I would like to hear more, too. I have only used it one time. I have had my paper stored in a vacuum-sealed bag, so it should be "normal" (as opposed to soggy). It seemed a little fragile - wanted to break off around the edges. I ran it through my computer printer since I can't do calligraphy LOL, and it printed very well and came through intact. I then rolled out and cut gumpaste just slightly larger than the paper and attached the paper to the gumpaste. I was able to shape and roll the paper with no difficulty while on the gumpaste (I used covered dowels and cardboard tubes as formers), but I don't know about just the paper with no support. Maybe someone will clue us in...

jcmm1014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcmm1014 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 4

Is this really what is used in printers with edible ink? It seems way too fragile too me. I may have to bend a sheet just to see. icon_lol.gif

SpudCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpudCake Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 12:02am
post #4 of 4

Steam, carefully. When I make a scroll or need to roll my wafer paper I hold it over a pot of steaming water, it softens and you can carefully roll it. You have to be careful though, too much and it will ruin the wafer paper.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%