Help Needed Bought Girouette Chocolate Curler No Instruction

Decorating By Bohnlo Updated 22 Mar 2017 , 1:39am by ShirleyW

Bohnlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bohnlo Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 22

Help.. If someone out there knows how to use the Girouette chocolate curler could you please help me. It came with no instructions, called and said they don't come with instructions, but clearly states on box that instructions are included. I molded my chocolate melts in the metal collar?????? and tried to make the long chocolate rings that Sugarchic has made. My chocolate was too small to get wide lengths, does anyone out there know what I am doing wrong, Oh ya, and the blade broke off the post but thats a whole nother story.... Any help greatly appreciated. Can post of PM me or e-mail
[email protected] Thanks

21 replies
luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 22

Wish I could help -- I am considering buying it and will watch this post. Hold on -- I have a cake saved in my faves that is made that way -- I'll get the name of the member for you...

luddroth Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 22

Ok -- ShirleyW made a brilliant cake using the Girasole ruffler. That's what I was thinking of. Is that something completely different? You might try pm -ing her to ask for help.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 22

I have a ruffler, but I have only used it with chocolate, not candy melts, so I don't know how much I can help. Sad to say that ShirleyW is no longer an active CC member. However, she did help me when I bought my ruffler. This is what she sent me about using it:

Now, tips on doing the ruffles. Have your cake iced and ready to go on the cake board. Make sure the chocolate rounds are at room temperature to make the ruffles. If the chocolate builds up against the blade instead of ruffling it is too warm, put it in the fridge for a few minutes. If the chocolate splinters instead of ruffling it is too cold, hit it just briefly with a warm blow dryer. I make the ruffles one at a time, cut them off right next to the blade with a sharp paring knife and put them directly onto the cake. Start the first row by letting the ruffle overhang the cake edge just a little bit. Each row after that stands up a bit more each time, lay the second row with the edges of the ruffle just laying on the middle of the first row, or maybe a bit more than halfway back, then press the end of the ruffle down gently into the iced cake. As I said, each row stands up a bit more that the last one, by the time you get to the center they should be standing straight up.

Good luck!

Jodie

luddroth Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 22

Jodie -- thanks for this! Too bad Shirley's not active -- she made some great cakes.

Bohnlo Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 12:00am
post #6 of 22

Thanks luddroth and JodieF. I can't believe that they can sell this without instructions. JodieF. do you mold your chocolate in the plastic dome on with the metal collar? What type of chocolate do you use? I didn't know if chocolate melts would work or if it had to be regular chocolate. Your instructions seem really clear thanks so much. And as I said, the blade broke off the holder that slips over the middle rod, needless to say , until my replacement comes it is useless.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 12:20am
post #7 of 22

i bought this same ruffler about six months ago and have yet to use it for that same reason. i actually forgot i even had it.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 12:43am
post #8 of 22

Gee I just bought the chocolate rounds that they sell specifically for the tool. Drop the chocolate disk on the base, drop on the blade and cut/ruffle away.

sweetjane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjane Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 12:50am
post #9 of 22

The curlers I've found on line vary so much in price it's hard to know which is the one that will work best. There's one at Kitchen Krafts for $40

Those of you that have one - what's your preference?

melysa Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 12:53am
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Gee I just bought the chocolate rounds that they sell specifically for the tool. Drop the chocolate disk on the base, drop on the blade and cut/ruffle away.

arent these crazy expensive though? i recall looking at them and it seems they were around 35-40 dollars for a 1 or 2 lb disk. i couldnt imagine paying that. supposedly the curler has a mold that can be used to make your own. as long as you can temper the chocolate properly, i think its a great thing to have in the long run.-

Bohnlo Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 1:02am
post #11 of 22

I bought mine from Kitchen krafts and paid $40 for it plus $10 S&H Pretty expensive to break the first time you use it. Where can you buy disks of chocolate for it? I thought you had to make your own. I know someone on CC bought hers thru a Dove chocolate rep so maybe Dove chocolate would be the thing to use> Does anyone else have any suggestions? I guess my chocolate was either too soft or too hard , or maybe you just can't use candy melts. I did add melted shortening to them so they wouldn't harden as much.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 1:27am
post #12 of 22

I bought really good chocolate and tempered it and filled the mold that came with the ruffler. However, I have decided that from now on I would order the pre-made rounds. It was still expensive to make my own and tempering chocolate correctly is very tricky. I've had trouble every time I've made my own so the cost was probably about the same. Plus you can buy the ones that make two tone ruffles. ShirleyW always got hers from Marque foods but they aren't carrying them anymore. I've seen them at Beryl's.
If anyone else has a source I would love to know about it. icon_smile.gif

Jodie

Bohnlo Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:34am
post #13 of 22

About how much does a disk of chocolate cost roughly? And is it more for the two color chocolate? I did not see it in Kitchen Krafts catalogue. This could get really expensive.

melysa Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:42am
post #14 of 22

http://beryls.com/Edibles-Chocolate_Ruffler_&_Ruffle_Rolls/c12_238/index.html this is for the la girolle brand ruffler though. i dont know if they'd fit the brand we are talking about.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:09am
post #15 of 22

The chocolate rounds were expensive, but on the other hand, they were insanely easy and cost me nothing in time which is also valuable. They made everything so easy that no instructions were needed.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 18 Nov 2016 , 4:07am
post #16 of 22

I'm still here friends, I just don't post any longer. I have continued to add cake photos in the gallery. The only distributor I know of today who sells the La Girolle ruffler and the chocolate rounds is Albert Uster. They are quite expensive which is why I seldom make them. Actually today I prefer making large chocolate ruffles by hand. If you have access to John Costello's DVD "The Art Of Chocolate" he shows a way of making lovely chocolate ruffles by hand. You might look on eBAY or eBAY UK to see if you can locate a copy Here are a couple of photos I made using his method. This cake is also wrapped with a chocolate band[postimage id="5756" thumb="900"][postimage id="5757" thumb="900"].

ShirleyW Posted 18 Nov 2016 , 4:09am
post #17 of 22

It is now 8 years later, but please scroll down to the bottom for my reply to your questions.
Thanks,
Shirley

ShirleyW Posted 18 Nov 2016 , 4:43am
post #18 of 22

I found a YouTube video that makes the ruffles exactly the way I make them. I use 3 gumpaste cel boards and put them in the freezer overnight or at least 3 hours. You can make white, milk or dark chocolate ruffles. As one board becomes too warm for the chocolate to set, grab another one from the freezer and put the warm one back in to chill again.

Bohnlo Posted 23 Nov 2016 , 1:54am
post #19 of 22

Thank you  Shirley W.  I have long admired your cakes. I will check out the utube video

Bohnlo

ShirleyW Posted 30 Jan 2017 , 10:16pm
post #20 of 22

You are welcome, and thank you for the nice comment on my cake work.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 28 Feb 2017 , 3:00am
post #21 of 22

Thanks for posting the video!  What a big help.

ShirleyW Posted 22 Mar 2017 , 1:39am
post #22 of 22

GI It goes so fast. The only thing is you can't allow the chocolate to set too firm on the cold board or it will crack and shatter rather than ruffle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%