Professional References

Lounge By Lenette Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 1:24am by SaraO

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 4

I've been going through the classifieds and there is a part time job I am interested in. They are requesting that applicants send a resume (which I don't have) and 3 professional references.

My problem is that I have not worked outside my home in almost 10 years and most of that was like part time/finding myself jobs in college.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to go about this? Thanks!

3 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 4

Professional references don't also have to mean previous employers.

I volunteer A LOT with my church and I put them down as a professional, as well as the school that I volunteer with and do translations for.

I would say that a professional reference is someone that can vouch for your work and not just your 'personality'.

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 4

Hi Lenette,

References can be anyone "professional". There have been times when I used my college roomate, whom I have never worked with, but she has a fancy title. So anyone professional will usually do. Just make sure you tell them so they can be on their best behavior.

In reference to your resume, try a functional resume of your skills. Match them with the job description and create a SUPER cover letter. It may still take a while to get a position. The average job seeking time is about 4 months. But just hang in there.

tcp

SaraO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraO Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 1:24am
post #4 of 4

I agree with the above suggestions. Write a cover letter that really shows that you have done research into the position and company and talk specifically about how your skills are well-suited to this particular position. This will make yours stand out from all of the form cover letters that they probably receive. When you go in and interview with them, be honest about your background and experience. Your unique situation probably gives you a really good perspective on things. If you don't have anyone that you've volunteered for, it might be a good idea to get a job as a volunteer doing something related to what you want to do for a job and then that way you can get that person to write you a good reference letter and you can talk about how your volunteer experience has peaked your interest in that particular area. All the best!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%