Help Fondant Bow Cracks And Falls Flat

Decorating By sweetsurprises Updated 11 Jun 2008 , 9:51pm by sweetsurprises

sweetsurprises Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsurprises Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 9

I have tried to do a fondant bow cake topper about 5 times now and I can never get it right. It always cracks and breaks when I put it together and it falls flat. icon_mad.gif

I roll the fondant out, cut into strips, make the loops, and set each one on its side to dry. Then when I start assembling it on the cake it starts to fall apart. I been trying different things, through trial and error, but I'm ready to give up.

My customers love the look of a edible bow cake topper and I really need to get this right. Any suggestions?

8 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:00am
post #2 of 9

Are you using cornstarch or powdered sugar to roll out your fondant? Either way, too much will dry the fondant (especially cornstarch) and cause it to crack and to be brittle.

You might want to consider using full gumpaste or at least 1/2 gumpaste and 1/2 fondant. The 1/2 & 1/2 will give a little more working time and still have some strength to hold up to assembly.

Rolling to thinly will make the loops very fragile, while too thick will cause them to droop and take very long time to dry.

The type of fondant you are using can be a factor as well. Some fondants have less stretch to them and will not work well for bows. If you are using MMF, then I have no idea about that. I've never used it. Sorry.

Michele

brogi2baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brogi2baker Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:20am
post #3 of 9

have you tried drying it on your cake? The cakes I have done with bow toppers is to use all gumpaste then just put on top of the cake to dry, stuffing the loops with tissue paper to hold them up. They dry pretty fast, so I just pull the tissue out and dont have to worry about transfering the bows.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:28am
post #4 of 9

How long are you letting the loops dry? What type/brand of fondant are you using?

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:41am
post #5 of 9

Have you seen franjmc's article on her bow. I am assuming you are making the multiple bow but you could get some tips heres the article:

http://www.cakecentral.com/article103-How-To-Make-a-Gumpaste-Bow.html

I like using the crumbled up plastic wrap between the loops to get them to dry. I do the 1/2 fondant and 1/2 gumpaste trick too. I use a large piece of foam to let them dry on before transferring.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:48am
post #6 of 9

Adding to everyone helping ideas..I just say..Bows need to be done fast.. If the one you are doing is just a 2 loop bow and you plan to put it in the cake before it dries I say decorate your cake and the make your bow and fill the 2 loops so they hold their shape.
If you are doing a loopy bow with lots of loops, it needs to be let dried a few days before even trying to be put on top of the cake.
I have use both fondant and gumpaste. But I add tylose to the fondant if I use it.
Hope this helps!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 4:16am
post #7 of 9

This post is too coincidental!!!
I just made BOTH of these mistakes yesterday: rolling on corn starch and rolling too thin! (I was going for a nice delicate look)⦠Needless to say my very first loopy bow was a disaster⦠Plus, my fondant was marbled, and that caused some more cracking and breaking⦠And I guess overnight, more like 16 hours, was the mistake #3 - not enough drying time for the heavily cornstarched Choco-pan, as the loops that didnât crack, flopped⦠I stuffed a bunch of rolled paper towel pieces inside the loops in an attempt to take it to work in a semi-presentable state as it was a surprise for a co-worker, but luck was not on my side⦠She was stilled trilled nonetheless... Just uploaded it to my pics... Will definitely try the bow again though, thanks everyone for posting your expert tips!!!

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 2:14pm
post #8 of 9

I'm glad i caught this post! I will be making a cake for a bridal shower (first cake outside of family) and there will be at least one or two bows. I thought this was an easy one... i had no idea it could be that difficult!

sweetsurprises Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsurprises Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 9:51pm
post #9 of 9

I have been using just fondant to make the bows, so I will definately try mixing it with gumpaste. I may be using too much cornstarch too. I will try all your tips and hopefully my next bow cake topper will be beautiful thumbs_up.gif I really appreciate the advice. I found this website a couple weeks ago and it has helped me out tremendously.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%