How Long To Dry Mmf

Decorating By klsrtr Updated 12 Aug 2005 , 3:14am by beachcakes

klsrtr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klsrtr Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 5

I made MMF butterflies for a cake and was wondering how long it would take for them to dry, and when do I need to attach them to the sticks with the royal icing so that will dry. I made the butterflies Monday night, and they are for a cake on 8-20. Thanks

Kim

4 replies
jg556a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jg556a Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 5

I'm not a pro at the mmf, but i do use it often. I would think the butterflies would be dry if 48 hrs top. 24 hours should do it but it you want to be safe you could give it another day. I would give the royal icing another 24 hrs to dry. You have plenty of time though, since you have until 8/20. Good luck!! icon_rolleyes.gif

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 5

i live in NC pretty high humidity here and my MMF takes a full 48 hours to dry. For something I really want to make sure is totally dry like bow pieces I let them dry at least 3 days sometimes a week.

Thalia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thalia Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 5

Just did mmf cake with flowers and banner. I live in Colorado, so it is much dryer here usually..although lately in house has been about 50-60% humidity due to rains. Made decorations one night and used 24 hrs later and they were hard. Sometimes to make alittle harder I've added alittle gum-tex...but it does change consistency some.

Thalia

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 3:14am
post #5 of 5

MMF drying time depends on humidity. I made fondant flip flops for the cake in my photos six days ahead of time and they never dried! As I only have AC in one room, I kept them in there and they hardened a bit, but as soon as they came out of that room, they sucked all the moisture out of the air and became soft. Hopefully, you won't have the same problem!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%