Over-Done Edges

Decorating By hotmamatigger Updated 12 Jun 2008 , 10:04pm by MandiSunshine

hotmamatigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hotmamatigger Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 2:31am
post #1 of 8

This kinda goes with my other thread... same cakes. But I wanted advice specific to this problem because I keep encountering it and it's driving me nuts! It doesn't matter what pan, what mix, what temp I use, the edges of my cakes are always way over cooked. I've considered buying the Wilton bake-even strips (or whatever they're called) and I've seen threads alluding to a simpler and less expensive "right in your own linen closet" alternative. Would this work? My concern with a towel or cloth alternative is the fabric catching fire and that won't help anything. Besides carving off the edges and loosing a significant amount of cake, what are my real options?

Elizabeth

7 replies
Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 2:40am
post #2 of 8

I am a hobbyiest but I certainly saw the difference when I started using bake-even strips. I began by making my own with an old (all cotton) thick bath towel and cutting it into strips long enough to go around my pans. I used safety pins. Then my daughter later bought me the Wilton strips and I use them all the time.

Just remember with either homemade or store bought, soak them well before using and they will not burn.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 2:47am
post #3 of 8

Get the baking strips. Here's a thread on the science of it and why they work:
http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=3467363#3467363
I dont' ever bake a cake without them.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 3:28am
post #4 of 8

Use a coupon and go buy some baking strips from Michaels or Hobby Lobby, they are pretty cheap.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:22pm
post #5 of 8

I make my own out of old "thin" terry-cloth dish towels. And I use the metal binder (i think they are called butterfly) clips - they're black w/silver "wings". soak them in water, wring them out, wrap around the pan. TONS cheaper than wilton's bake strips and it's recycling. about the time my dish towels need replacing, i'm ready to replace my homemade bake-strips, too. so it all works out.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 11:49pm
post #6 of 8

I don't use the strips, but i always have that problem when I use Pam spray. Hard, crusty edges

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 11:56pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

I don't use the strips, but i always have that problem when I use Pam spray. Hard, crusty edges

I have that problem with pam WITH strips.....which is why I never use Pam anymore.

MandiSunshine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandiSunshine Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 10:04pm
post #8 of 8

HI!
Using the baking strips makes a HUGE difference on my cakes. I really love them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%