Anybody Ever Use A Powercat Airbrush?

Decorating By eriksmom Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 2:47am by LeanneW

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 1:56am
post #1 of 14

I've been looking on eBay, and I keep seeing the power cat airbrush system. Has anybody here ever used one?
I know pretty much zilch about this subject, but I am finding the need for one more and more.
The powercat seems to be a complete set up, and very affordable for a first timer like myself.
Any info on this brand, or any other tips you may have, would be very helpful.

Thanks
Becky

13 replies
Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 3:50am
post #2 of 14

I got a really small airbrush system from ebay....it works awesome!! It only cost me I think 85 dollars with shipping. I posted a link to it when I first got it. I don't even know what brand it is...I honestly don't think the brand matters....as long as you get one that says its for hobbyists...the ones that say they are for temp tattoes and nail artists and the same ones we would need too!!

HTH

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 3:54am
post #3 of 14

I have never used the powercat and know nothing about it. However, I did just recently ordered an airbrush system on Ebay. I just received it on Thursday and have not had a chance to use it. However, I do know that during mother's day it seemed that most on Cake Central were getting this one.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Beginner-Starter-AIRBRUSH-w-COMPRESSOR-SET-Hobby-Craft_W0QQitemZ200228587290QQihZ010QQcategoryZ28111QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

After doing my own research this one is a gravity feed and dual action which is needed. Like I said.....I have not even had the first chance to begin playing around....but this one seems to be a fair deal and was recommended by a few on this board. Good luck.....it can be very confusing but I am happy with my choice so far....

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 4:00am
post #4 of 14

I have, I bought my from EBAY. When my husband saw it he goes..ooooh you are gunna have problems with the airbrush it's gunna keep getting clogged, he was referring back to his childhood days when he did models, mind you he is 40. I have had mine about 6 months, no problems...I love it.

BUT...if you have a costco in your area, they have a minature air compressor for 40 dollars i was like dang..but it didnt have the air brush. I forgot what mine is called, i think its the somethign gravity....he sells his airbrushers for kinda much...if you buy the costco compressor and the brush from him it would be the same....If you can find an airbrusher for cheap then i would suggest costco. Good Luck,

But to answer your question..its good!!!

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 2:05am
post #5 of 14

Fondantfrenzy, the one i found on ebay said it has something like a built in compressor, so i'm hoping that is the case. i don't even know where there is a costco in my county.
anyway, i'm going to consider the powercat, as its my first one, and i don't want to spend a fortune just yet. and, i'm saving as much money as i can for the ICES convention!
Thanks to everyone for their input. i'll let you know if and when i get one and actually use it!

fondantfrenzy Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 8:18am
post #6 of 14

Hi Ericsmom

This is the one I bought exactly and from this seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DUAL-ACTION-AIRBRUSH-and-AIR-BRUSH-COMPRESSOR-KIT_W0QQitemZ380035542891QQihZ025QQcategoryZ134557QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

This comes with everything you need to get started. All you need is the paint. Also I suggest getting the Kopykat cleaner....!!! Since I use a couple of drops in the brush after I clean with water, I have not had any clogging problems. This is an investment that is worth it. It saved my butt on a couple of ocassions. If you look in my photos, I airbrushed the asian cake (messed up on t) and the baby shower cookies beucae my pink faded and i was running out of time....and didnt want to redo it. Good Luck, I dont think you will be sorry.

nancylynwallace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylynwallace Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 3:51pm
post #7 of 14

I got the Power Cat Airbrush from e-bay. Didn't come with any directions, so I kind of had to play with it some. I can't get it to shoot steady color. DH contacted them (he bought it for me) and they are sending directions and a troubleshooting guide. Haven't gotten it yet, but I will let you know!

jackie64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 4:12pm
post #8 of 14

I got the same one nancylynwallace got I had to figure it out for myself no instructions or anything I have had no problems with the Powercat as of yet. Once I figured out how to use it I really like it .

fondantfrenzy Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 7:39pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancylynwallace

I got the Power Cat Airbrush from e-bay. Didn't come with any directions, so I kind of had to play with it some. I can't get it to shoot steady color. DH contacted them (he bought it for me) and they are sending directions and a troubleshooting guide. Haven't gotten it yet, but I will let you know!

I am wondering if you got a faulty brush. I do not have any problems. Are you having this issue all the time? Did you try putting water and seeing if the stream is the same? Try that, if it is consistant and steady it might be your paint. Always Shake your paint everytime right before you pout it in your cup. I am wondering if your paint is old?

Try the water or vodka thing..also put a couple of drops of airbrush cleaner in the brush and see if that makes a difference...but i would suggest testing it out. Please feel free to PM me if you need some help

nancylynwallace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylynwallace Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 7:52pm
post #10 of 14

Thank you Fondantfrenzy!! I'll try that when I get home!

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:47am
post #11 of 14

I have the Powercat from ebay and I just love it. No problems

danizabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danizabe Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:56am
post #12 of 14

i have one of those and is great

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 11:05am
post #13 of 14

I have a Powercat from E-bay also. I love it, but mine didn't come with instructions either. At first, it shot air but no color. Turns out, I just needed to loosen the end and then it worked perfectly.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:47am
post #14 of 14

I am looking into buying an airbrush and I saw this brand Badger that uses compressed air in a can instead of a compressor.

I don't know if you can use it with other airbrushes but if the air hose fits on the can it should work just fine. It's less than $10.00

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=fa0445

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%