And Then The $700 Cake Fell Over...

Decorating By brnrlvr Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 1:25am by DebBTX

brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 29

So as I am decorating this cake today, I am thinking to myself," I wonder how long things need to go good before you can say- Wow, things are sure going well! - with out being cocky and jynxing yourself. I mean you hate to say it and be all cocky because you just know somethings going to happen! Oh well... hmm, this cake is sure coming togeather nicely. It's probably the most perfect cake I've done. ( didn't care for the design, but technicaly nicely done and I was very pleased with it. Trying to give the lady $700 worth of cake!.)

we had 10 wedding type cakes in May and they all went well with no incidents making, decorating, delivery, cutting...all went smooth. I'm always holding my breath untill the cake is delivered and set up and I've taken a picture. Then I cut all my cakes, so until I go back to cut and see the cake still standing, I am still worried.

This cake today- didn't even have those worrying feelings. It seemed solid and sound as I was moving it around. I'm going down the highway talking to my mom, hear this little sliding sound, look back and...

THE CAKE FELL OVER!!!

Went back, used a dummy and redid the bottom tier, managed to salvage the middle two. Luckily had a 6 inch layer in the freezer to repair the top tier, but still had to recover it. I dont know what I would have done if the midde two tiers weren't salvageable, or if I was running late and didn't have time to redo it! I frosted theremainer of the bottom tier an gave them 2 doz cupcakes and refunded $200. I didn't take a picture of the redone cake, but it definatly had a front and back and the top was crooked and I had to pipe a boarder around the base of each layer. The people were nice and the daughter loved it, but I was very sad it wasn't the first cake! I guess I should just be glad it wasn't worse! Hopefully it didn't fall over after I left- the middle two tiers were kinda leaning from the fall!! I wish I would have taken a picture of the fallen cake- but I was in such a hurry to repair it that was the last thing on my mind! there was frozen raps in the filling, and I think the cake got really moist from them thawing and the layers just slid. I guess I am glad it fell over before I had delivered it and not after!!

Here's the before!!
LL

28 replies
dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 29

The cake was so pretty. So sorry it fell over!

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 29

I'm so sorry this happened. It still turned out beautifully and at least you were able to repair and deliver their cake.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 10:48pm
post #4 of 29

its gorgeous! when i saw ur username i thought it said bdrider and was like OMG not another fallen cake for her!

(in case u didnt know- bdrider had a crazy nut case customer a while back after a tall cake fell/was knocked over.)

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 2:29am
post #5 of 29

I really love the cake!

It is amazing how quiet the sound of a cake flopping over can be. This has happened to me too,and when I heard it, I thought a flower or something had fallen off. Nope! It was the whole thing!

Good for you recovering-that is not an easy thing to do.

brnrlvr Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:43am
post #6 of 29

Thanks! It really was flawless "before"! Filling is not out friend!

I'll have to look for a post on Bdrider! Like to share in the pain! icon_smile.gif

Summer- is there a post on your experience? It IS amazing how quiet! I thought the plastic gladware container I had the cookie for the top in slid on the tray! That's how soft the sound was!!

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:20pm
post #7 of 29

Oh no! It was beautiful before!

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:12pm
post #8 of 29

how did you have it doweled? Girl...I am SO sorry this happened to you. I would have had a heart attack. Were you using Wilton plastic, wood, Stress free? What kind of filling did it have? You said it was frozen filling thawing perhaps? Was the entire cake frozen?

Sorry for the bazillion questions but we can all learn from others! Like you...I dread the day that happens and don't breath a sigh of relief until I set it up and take a picture of it!

The cake was beautiful!

gottabakenow Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:24am
post #9 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by brnrlvr

I'll have to look for a post on Bdrider! Like to share in the pain! icon_smile.gif

I think that post may have been lost in the Crash of '08, not positive though so don't quote me on it...

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 1:47pm
post #10 of 29

What a shame...beautiful cake. Did you have it staked???

Mamaelf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamaelf Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 9:16pm
post #11 of 29

Ok, I am curious. I have always taken the cake in sections and then assembled at the
reception. I have everthing ready to go on the seperator plates etc. so it all goes together nicely.
It is sounding to me as if you all are taking the cake fully assembled and transporting it??

gottabakenow Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 9:41pm
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamaelf

Ok, I am curious. I have always taken the cake in sections and then assembled at the
reception. I have everthing ready to go on the seperator plates etc. so it all goes together nicely.
It is sounding to me as if you all are taking the cake fully assembled and transporting it??

yes, that's very possible. I haven't done any stacked cakes, but I know probably a good percentage of the people on CC transport them already stacked.

as long as you have it doweled well, it should be fine. oh- welcome to CC! icon_wink.gif

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 9:47pm
post #13 of 29

Same thing happened to me the other weekend.... the cake started out really great... until it fell over in the car. I've delivered cakes stacked under more treacherous situations.....Still can't figure out how it fell over SOB! icon_cry.gif

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 9:58pm
post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

I really love the cake!

It is amazing how quiet the sound of a cake flopping over can be.

Oh, yeah, but isn't it a sound you will NEVER forget! icon_rolleyes.gif

Beautiful cake, and seems like you recovered with out a nervous breakdown! When this happened to me-a wedding cake casualty- I appeared calm on the outside, but holy smokes, I was a nervous wreck!

HBcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HBcakes Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 9:59pm
post #15 of 29

My mouth was hanging open when I read your topic! So glad you were able to salvage it as good as you did and the customers weren't upset- my worst fear is the day I have an upset customer. The original cake is amazing!!

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:01pm
post #16 of 29

I know what you mean. My nephew was having his second birthday and for everyone I try to go all out to impress. Now the time when I should really impress since the whole family (aunts, uncles, cousins, friends...you know the drill) was going to attend. Well, I make this 3-d deer with a blind and all and then when I arrive carrying this 3 foot 2 foot plywood board I notice that the deer's antlers started to melt and droop. Then as I place the board down and everyone is around to see my "masterpiece" the head decides to fall and I caught it in my hands. It was so disappointing cause my nephew didn't even get to take a picture with his cake and it had to be left inside.

Thing learned is that chocolate fondant melts!

DesignsByMandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsByMandie Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:03pm
post #17 of 29

Oh How sad....I would die....My mom says she is nervous for me when I lose my first one...I always run red lights...I am afraid to slam on the brakes and have half a cake stuck to my windsheild. LOL I was a beautiful cake and you recovered well...I would have been a wreck!!!! icon_smile.gif

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:11pm
post #18 of 29

I am curious as to the supports. I use the Stress Free Support System. Now, I am trying to imagine if it could happen with that. A few years ago though we attended my neices wedding outside Seattle. The baker made an all choc. groom's cake and left it in the car in sweltering heat. The whole thing melted into a puddle.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:30pm
post #19 of 29

I had the same thing happen to me last month, but it happened the middle of the night (like 4:00 a.m. or so) when I was moving it from the lower level of my home to the main floor to take the picture and on to the car. Literally, I tripped going up the steps and it was like an "I Love Lucy" scene one, take one! Nothing was salvageable ... the homemade fondant, the gorgeous monogram, my pride, etc. There was only a few hours left to make more cakes from scratch (this was a hexagon, five tier). Thank goodness the bride was a delight. I did not charge for the cake... how could I? The second one looked pitiful. No fondant and little time to make the buttercream... no monogram... but I learned from it.

So sorry about your cake.

Mamaelf Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 12:07am
post #20 of 29

I think the worst one for me was the airconditioning in the car dying on my way to deliver a cake in FL. Listened to a steady plop, plop, plop as the flowers fell off. I always make tons of flowers and take enough frosting etc with me so I can make fixes. Had to completly refrost cake but we did fine.

Thinking back, I do believe I have done a few stacked cakes that I delivered whole and what I did was to take a real long dowel rod. I sharpened it at one end and drove it through all the layers so nothing could slip. I tend to try to avoid any disaster.

Best to you all and thank you for the welcome. icon_sad.gificon_lol.gif

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 5:15pm
post #21 of 29

I like the plastic plate between my layers, so the big long dowel through the whole cake isn't really an option. I just take all the layers seperate with the short dowels all in place and stack them on site adding any bottom borders, etc. that may need finished. It's also a weight issue for me, I have a bad back and can't lift that much. I'm usually delivering alone, so it makes it much easier to pack in one cake at a time, and sometimes those bottom layers are heavy enough covered in fondant! Be thankful you could think on your feet and get them a cake to serve!
Knock on wood, it will NEVER happen again!
Lori

Mamaelf Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 6:15pm
post #22 of 29

Yes I use the plastic seperator plates when I am using columns. Makes it really easy to trasport the cakes. I have several bread racks and milk cartons that I use. The little legs on the seperator plates fit right in the holes. When I am making a stacked cake I use the cardboard cake boards so the dowel goes right through. I can truly understand the back issue, I am there now due to accident. People just do not realize how heavy those cakes really are.

Best to you

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 4:32pm
post #23 of 29

that's a shame! It looks really sturdy and level in the photo!

brnrlvr Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:17am
post #24 of 29

For some reason this stopped notifying me of posts! Sorry! Didn't mean to seem to not be replying!

Lets see- I usually always transport fully stacked, but am now rethinking that. Am looking into the SFS type systems.

A dowel down the middle would not have helped. The bottom tier cake was just to moist from the frozen raspberries. We are only using fresh raspberries now.

Yea, you know, I didn't have a nervous break down because I was still able to deliver the cake they ordered- not as perfect as first! If I had not been able to salvage the middle two tiers however, things would have been WAAAYYYYY different!!

I also had my first buttercream blowout this past weekend, so now i am trying to decide what to do about that!

Is it wrong that it makes me feel better reading about everyone elses escapades? icon_smile.gif

bdrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bdrider Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 4:30am
post #25 of 29

Too bad the thread was lost that explained my Crazy Cake B*tch who's cake hit the floor!!

From someone who's been there, I feel for ya'....
and NO its not bad that you feel better from other's nightmares!!

And just an extra "thank you" to all the support I got from everyone here at CC!!!
Seriously... you guys were amazing!!

brnrlvr Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 11:21am
post #26 of 29

Okay, now you have to tell me about the Crazy *** Cake that hit the floor!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 12:44am
post #27 of 29

man this is my worse nightmare. I do not know what I would do! I would just sit on the floor and cry. You are one strong person!!! It was a beautiful cake!

I have been using SPS for a couple of years now and I keep combing these disaster stories seeing if anyone has a cake fall apart with SPS. I think most of the time cakes falling are from dowel slippages, no?

I want to hear the story too!!!

bdrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bdrider Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 8:48pm
post #28 of 29

It will take me a while to type out so as soon as have more than 5 free minutes I promise I will write out!

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:25am
post #29 of 29

Hey bdrider,
It is so good to hear from you again. I hope all is well with you and your family.

-Debbie B.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%