Momzilla Instead Of Bridezilla Long

Decorating By Moviechick00 Updated 1 Feb 2007 , 10:19pm by SweetTreatsbyCarol

Moviechick00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moviechick00 Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 22

Where do I start....One of my very very close friends was married over New Years weekend. He and the bride asked me to make their cakes more than a year in advance. Being that he is like a brother to me I said that I would make the cakes as a gift. Mind you I have to travel 7 hours to get to the wedding site and the cake must feed 500 people. The week of the wedding I start baking, baking, baking, making fondant and bc. On Thursday afternoon I finally get a hold of the bride to ask if she was able to buy a cake topper. She tells me no I was not but will you buy us one. OK sure I will buy one just add to my cost. I have to remember this is a gift for the groom and well ok I must include the bride. I made 2 12x3 rounds 2 10x3 rounds 1 8x3 round and 2 6x2 rounds plus 2 of the largest square cake pan that there is. Then I make 2 12x12 squares 1 standard cake, and one 8inch square for the groom cake. Red velvet armadillo. This is my first ever sculpt cake. (Need some practice) I travel half way with these cakes to a friends house where I iced them. Then travel the rest of the way my suv was loaded down cakes and 3 people. We are all friends of the groom so we had to all go. To this point not a problem even though I woke up late and got to a late start. No biggie I can do this right...no problem

We arrive at the reception location they are cleaning up there was a wedding the night before. The woman that runs the place tells me oh I will set up both cake tables for you cool no problem she then says will you have enough room with one table...one table? why one table I have two cakes.....pause she says oh you have both wedding cakes?? sure the bride and groom cake...pause oh I thought there was going to be two cakes..yeah mine my two. Out of no where comes this other woman who shoved me and said oh is this the table where my cake is going to go? What cake.....grrr whats going on....in comes her husband with the other wedding cake. She then tells me that she made the cake for the bride and groom. I get on the phone with the groom and he says he knows nothing of a second cake. He was to call the bride to see what was up. I hear nothing from him. The mob walks in to the hall and says oh look both cakes are here wonderful. I have no clue as to what is going on but at this point I am taking my cakes except for the armadillo and leaving driving back home forget the cakes put them in the trash. Momzilla tells me oh this is my cousin and she offered to make a cake for the wedding and I could not turn her down. I am thinking hmm someone offered a free wedding cake and hmm a friend of the groom is making another cake for free again the word here is free so lets jump on it...She asked me to please set up my cake because the groom would want it that way and oh my cake was oh so beautiful. So then she is talking to her cousin which by the way they were speaking spanish. I finally just calm down and set up my cakes. The other woman left because her son was at home not feeling well. By this time I am so red and cover in hives all over cant stop scratching...red red all over tiny cuts from where I am scratching. I was livid I still am mad about it ok get over it right. Well I started helping momzilla set up some other stuff she asked if I would help her so I do. As we were setting up she asked me a question in english and out of no where I responded in spanish. She looked at me as her eyes became the size of her whole face and asked me if I spoke spanish. Yes I do and I am fluent. The look on her face was priceless I could see where she was thinking back to what her and her cousin had said. Well being that I speak spanish I understood everything. The talked about how the bride didnt want this or that on the cake and how she wanted a certain flavor and all the other small details that you go over with a bride. Momzilla became very nice to me after that kept telling me that my cake was beautiful and how great the armadillo looked.

Haha now its reception time....the groom loved his cake...the bride well didnt speak to me about the cakes at all. The other cake was a 3 stacked with 5 smaller ovals underneath it. It was a tres leches cake so it was not standing up well. The base was cracked and I wanted to fix it but I was reminded that this was not my cake so just leave it. We sat a table away from the cakes and I could hear what people were saying about the cakes....the other cake hmm white and plain....armadillo cute!!!, my cake how beautiful I cant wait to try it. As the night went on the waiters were just loving the armadillo pretending to hug it and take pictures with it. They finally served the cake and they cut the other one first. People were waiting to eat mine and didnt eat the other one. The wedding party was waiting for the red velvet cake and yes the groom cut the rear just like in the movie. A few days after the wedding the groom calls me to say that the cousin had offered to make the cake at a funeral and the momzilla could not say no. IMO she heard free........free...free. I am not so mad anymore I vented on one of my other groups first so that I would not so mad when I finally posted here.

Pictures of the armadillo and my cake are attached I do have pictures of the other cake but I dont think it would be right to post it.
LL
LL
LL

21 replies
bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 22

Aren't Momzillas the WORST!! I would have LOVED to have seen her face when you answered her in Spanish.!! What a hoot!

Your armadillo is adorable and the wedding cake is beautiful! Did you decorate the cake table as well? As a rule, I usually decorate my cake tables myself.

RE: Traveling 7 hours. Yeah! Done that too! Thanksgiving Weekend!

Are these CAKE MEMORIES or what?

Beth in KY

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 22

O MY Gawd, well for one your cakes are lovely, for two, I think, I too would have been tempted to walk out. Sheesh!! Well, you gotta admit without people like that in the world it would be a pretty boring place (less murder, suicide, drive by shootings etc etc.) Don't cha just love it when someone starts talkin and they think you don't understand. OMG i guess they were lookin for freebies. I would say that the other persons cake amounted to what they paid for it. Yours is just divine.
And for anyone out there in cyberland....ya'll CANNOT stack a 3 milks cake. Tiers, cascade maybe but definitely NOT stacked.
Sorry sometimes ignorant people aggravate me.

Moviechick00 Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 3:14am
post #4 of 22

I set up the table how ever I didnot put lights on it. The waiters thought the other cake table needed something because it was all white no color and added lights to both tables. My cakes arent the best but I am getting better as I go along. If the bride had just told me about the other cake I would have been glad happy not to have spent my own money on her cake. It would have saved me a couple hundred dollars and less stress on having to travel so far with it. I could have enjoyed the wedding. Oh
well right its over now.

MC

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 4:01am
post #5 of 22

This is one of the best stories I have read in the cake world! I would have loved to have been there to see the mom's face when you told her you speak spanish! icon_lol.gif Good job on your cakes, they look as good as I'm sure they tasted!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 4:23am
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

This is one of the best stories I have read in the cake world! I would have loved to have been there to see the mom's face when you told her you speak spanish! icon_lol.gif Good job on your cakes, they look as good as I'm sure they tasted!

Ditto, I know the look on Momzilla's face was priceless.

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 3:18pm
post #7 of 22

Your cakes are beautiful and your friend loved them. That is all that mattered. I does suck that the MOB had to make things complicated.

Cindy

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 3:42pm
post #8 of 22

Beautiful cakes.....sucky situation....but, like you said...it's over now.....But, I agree....if it weren't for your friend....I would've took my cakes and left!!

Moviechick00 Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 5:30pm
post #9 of 22

Sorry it has taken me such a long time to respond. Thank you to those who liked me cakes. Now that its been a couple of weeks the groom (who is like a brother) called me to confess total confession he said he knew about the other cake and didnt want to hurt my feelings by telling me not to make the wedding cake. That made me so mad but oh well right live and learn. My mom asked me if I was willing to make a wedding cake for a cousin that lives 4 hours from me. I said not for free I will not make large cakes for free again. I told her its a mexican wedding and there will be sponsors so they could get sponsors for the cake and they could pay me for it. My mom said she understood and did not expect me to make it for free.

MC

oolala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oolala Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 5:41pm
post #10 of 22

There has been a sighting of Momzillas w/ horns lately in the hemesphere. icon_smile.gificon_lol.gif
Out of courtesy, they could have at least told you in advance that there will be another cake. But then again as what you said, it was FREE FREE FREE... that magic word.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 5:47pm
post #11 of 22

If your friend is sooo sorry, maybe he could offer to cover some of your expenses! That was so rude.

Why do people think cakes are cheap and easy?

TerriLea1993 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TerriLea1993 Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 6:03pm
post #12 of 22

both cakes were gorgeous. I have always wanted to make the armadillo cake. And I don't blame you for being mad. I had the same problem. I did two cute babyshower cakes for twins. I only charged them cost. they were presents with baby heads on top like they were jumping out. I worked really hard on them, and when I delivered the cakes, in comes her mom with two cakes from walmart. I got my money and walked out. I guess i wasn't as gracious as you were. People who don't make cakes don't understand what love and time you put into them.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 6:10pm
post #13 of 22

WOW!! like you said it's done and over with. I do have to say that your friend could've be frank with you. And asked you to make the armadillo only, heck lot less work. You are a great friend, i would have cuss him. Sorry i know im not helping. augh. icon_redface.gif

Moviechick00 Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 7:22pm
post #14 of 22

oh trust me I wanted to tell him off....but I had to remember it was her mom not his mom. His mom was greatful for all that I did and was not happy with the momzilla. I told my partner never again will I make anything for them they will have to pay nothings free anymore. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr tapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.gif I just have to go on. Easier said than done! LOL

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 3:19am
post #15 of 22

Your cakes are beautiful and good for you for handling it so professionally. you know in years to come they will have their friends help them to remember their wedding. The two cakes will eventually enter the memory and how one was crappy and one was not - your's will be the one remembered as the wonderful one.

The waiters line cracked me up... now I want a photo with a armadillo... icon_smile.gif

Great job and you handled it wonderfully! icon_smile.gif

hsdwidow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsdwidow Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 5:26pm
post #16 of 22

You said this groom is like a brother. Don't cha just LOVE family?? Hee hee.
I think the worst part of your whole story is that he knew about it. Didn't he respect you enough to let you enjoy the time before the wedding instead of working for the wedding? I guess I'm not helping either. You were very gracious about the situation. Better than I would have been.
Your cakes were beautiful. The armadillo is cute!

doleta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doleta Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 4:56pm
post #17 of 22

Just being nosy, but when the momzilla was speaking Spanish about the bride wanted this and that...were they insulting your cakes?
Your cakes are beautiful by the way.
I love the rose petals sprinkled on top. So pretty.

Moviechick00 Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 6:43pm
post #18 of 22

They were talking about what the bride had wanted on their cake. The other lady was talking about how fondant shouldnt be used for this type of wedding and how it should have been shinnyer just not being so nice. Also about what the bride had requested on that cake and how she wanted things done. They were rude but now its no biggie then it was a big big deal now not so much.

MC

emi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emi Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 8:06pm
post #19 of 22

Oh my goodness! What an experience you had. I must agree with the others, you're cakes are beautiful. Apparently you valued that friendhip much more than the groom, which IMO he should've told you about the other cake. I would never do that much work for free, no matter who it's for. As in your case, most of the time people don't appriciate what they get for free, especially when they are really cluless or willingly cluless of how much work goes into making a cake.

Emi

curiegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curiegas Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 7:26am
post #20 of 22

WOW I love both your cakes. Your armadillo is awesome.

It was so rude of them to have the other cake and not tell you. Especially with you traveling so far. You would think with waiters and such they would have money to pay for at least for one cake.

Cecilia

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:34pm
post #21 of 22

I amazed in this day and age that people assume they can speak another language and nobody around them will understand. My kids were learning spanish in preschool and they have it in elementary too. I constantly run into people speaking french, german, and I think russian at the grocery store and I don't even live in that big of a multiculteral area. It just peeves me that people think that just because they're speaking a different language thay can basically talk about you "behind your back" when they're right in front of you. My in-laws are Taiwanese and it urks me that they can't bother to speak English (which they know just fine) in front of me, it's just plain rude. Okay, off my soapbox LOL.

You're cakes were lovely!

SweetTreatsbyCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTreatsbyCarol Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 10:19pm
post #22 of 22

The cakes were gorgeous & the armadillo is cute too! You did a wonderful job icon_smile.gif I'm guessing that the groom was in a pickle and didn't know what to do, and maybe he was happy that you were doing the cake and felt as if it would be more of an insult to tell you NOT to bring a cake, than have another cake also. Did the bride tell you what she wanted on the cake, and then change her mind, or what? Maybe you wrote that and I missed that part.

The entire table and the way you have the cakes arranged is just beautiful and an inspiration to me.

I'm tickled to hear that the mom was surprised when you spoke Spanish back to her....hahahaha. Good for you.

Keep up the good work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%