Michigan Licensing....so Confused. Please Help!!

Business By armywifebryan Updated 6 Dec 2008 , 8:11pm by JenniferMI

armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 11:23pm
post #1 of 6

I have read so many different things that my eyes are going cross-eyed!!! I know that we have 2 different licenses here in MI. One for bakeries and one for home bakeries. My main question is this.....I don't like the idea of having someone come in to my home and "inspect" everything. So, I have found a place to rent. Which license will I need. I won't have my own store front so would it still be the home bakery and I just have a different kitchen or what?!? Also, am I correct that I first need to go to my town office?...or Dept. of Ag?

Thanks for helping. Once again...you guys are awesome!!

5 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:07am
post #2 of 6

Michigan as your going to find out VERY soon is goofy on how they handle things. I've been dealing with AG for about three weeks now. First they told me I can't have a kitchen in my house. Speed up to next week I have my plan review icon_biggrin.gif. Always start with your city. Make sure they will allow you to do what you want to do. Then go to the AG. Having one in your house is very hard to accomplish. There is a laundry list of things that you need to meet. If you vary by any lil bit it's not going to happen. In SE MI currently there is only one home bakery. I will be the second. Good luck if there is anything I can help with let me know.


jnikki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnikki Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 10:11am
post #3 of 6

icon_smile.gif Do either of you know a company in michigan that you can get liability insurance through?

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 6

I just went to an ins. co to get my liability ins. I'm licensed in MI.

Jen icon_smile.gif

swoozie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swoozie Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 9:21pm
post #5 of 6

To my knowledge in the state of mi, the ONLY way you can have a bakery in your home is if you have a seperate kitchen from your house hold kitchen. You can do this in a basement, or building outside of the home ( on your land)
They prefer you to have a seperate door than your family door
and seperate elecrtic/septic. Sometimes that can be worked out depending on your ag agent.

Next license is one with a full store front. all you all your bills....

3rd and the type I had, was to find an existing business that has the equipment you need, (My case it was a pizza place) I did wholesale cookies, and sold cookies at the pizza place retail.
hope some of this helps.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 6

Best advice I can give is to contact the Dept. of Ag. and have them come out and explain to you just what you would need to do to get licensed in your home or whatever location you are thinking. From inspector to inspector, you can get different advice. I know this first hand.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%