To Torte Or Not To Torte...

Business By jewelykaye Updated 11 Jun 2008 , 12:55pm by missmeg

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 38

How many of you torte your cakes?

If you do torte, doesn't that make it higher than 4"?

Also, what is your reasoning for torting?

37 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 11:40pm
post #2 of 38

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It depends on my mood, and what THEY are willing to pay for. It depends on what flavors are wanted. The reason is flavor, and texture differences.

Mike

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 38

I do on all of my stacked cakes (only sheetcakes when requested). I think it is something special that seperates me from most of the other bakers around here.

And I think it looks very pretty when cut.

Amy icon_smile.gif

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 11:58pm
post #4 of 38

I ask if they want it torted, and most do. I use the same amount of filling only spread it thinner and in 3 places. My customers like it this way. Each bite of cake has filling with it yet the cake is stable and easy to serve.

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 11:58pm
post #5 of 38

oh, and it really isn't much taller because the layers of filling are thinner

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:10am
post #6 of 38

I bake in 3" deep pans and torte twice.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:16am
post #7 of 38

i torte all my cakes. people are alway so impressed when they are served a piece of cake that has 4 layers and 3 layer of filling. presentation is everything...

patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:17am
post #8 of 38

Sometimes yes, and sometimes no... depends on the look I want to achieve when sliced. If I torte into multiple layers, I fill with much thinner layers of BC. I don't mind if the tiers end up being taller than 4" icon_smile.gif.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:24am
post #9 of 38

All my wedding cakes are torted. 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling. Much better presentation and I push the fact that the cake is the grand centerpiece of the reception. My party cakes are 3 layers of cake and 2 layers of filling.

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:25am
post #10 of 38

I have a question! If you don't mind me adding to the pop quiz... icon_rolleyes.gif

All that do stacked cakes:

Do you torte all of the teirs the same? For ex: each teir has two layers of filling. Has anyone or does anyone ever do each teir differently?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:27am
post #11 of 38

I would only torte separate tiers differently if it were by special request. And so far, nobody has asked.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:35am
post #12 of 38

I always do except on a sheetcake!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:36am
post #13 of 38

Yes, I torte all of my cakes including sheet cakes. They produce about a 4" high cake once filled.

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:43am
post #14 of 38

I torte wedding cakes, but I usually don't torte other cakes unless they ask for it.

SweetSandee92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSandee92 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:53am
post #15 of 38

I've just recently started torting my cakes.. and I must say.. I love the "wow" effect it gives. My customers are very pleased and love the presentation.

brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:53am
post #16 of 38

torte everything for the same reasons mentioned- looks pretty, sets me apart, etc- even sheet cakes. But...

I CAN'T TELL YOU WHAT A DIFFERENCE THE AGBAY LEVELER HAS MADE!!!! wOULDN'T DO IT WITHOUT IT!!! Like a fricken hot knife through butter! And completely perfectly even and level! No ups and downs. All scratch cakes!!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 3:01am
post #17 of 38

I torte all of mine! I ordered the Agbay and it will be here Thursday, just in time for my weekend wedding order! Yea!!! I can't wait. I'm going to throw that large wilton level in a trash bag and jump up and down on it... then run over it with my van! icon_lol.gif

brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 3:25am
post #18 of 38

heehee!

It is worth every penny and more!!

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 4:00am
post #19 of 38

i love to torte my layers, however, as I am still trying new recipes and sometimes adapting recipes to make them gluten free, egg free etc. they dont always bake up to fill the pan like normal so my layers end up 1 1/4 -1 1/2. Then I bake three layers and use two layers of filling.
But I love filling its just a preference.

If I'm just filling with buttercream or cream cheese icing I'm happy not torting and just sandwiching 2 2" layers together.

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 4:49pm
post #20 of 38

Yes I torte all my cakes.

Birthday and special occasion cakes get 1 layer of filling and 2 layers of cakes; wedding cakes get 3 layers of filling and 4 layers of cakes.

I will torte a sheet cake upon request.

Rosie932 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie932 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 3:43pm
post #21 of 38

Really new here. With torting, I worry about the layers sliding. Do I have to dowel the cake?

Thanks
Rosie

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 3:50pm
post #22 of 38

can i ask how tall one layer of cake is normally and when you tort it how tall will each layer be?

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 4:17pm
post #23 of 38

Layers won't slide if you fill properly. I do a ring of thick consistancy bc around the edge, then a thin layer of filling, place the next layer on, and PRESS DOWN. I repeat for the next layer, all the way up. When done, I take the thick bc, run it around the cracks, and push in with a spatula, Then I do another ring of thin bc and smooth with the spatula. That locks in the filling as much as possible.

I like for my cakes to settle for a few hours before icing. If you are stacking tiers, dowling or other supports will insure stability throughout.

As far as height, if you bake two 2" rounds, torte each one in half, you'll end up with 4 layers of cake, 3 layers of filling, and a cake that is approximately 4 to 4.5 inches tall after icing.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 8:24pm
post #24 of 38

I torte all of my cake so there is 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling. The cake layers are about 7/8 of an inch tall and the filling layers are about 1/8 of an inch each and then there is icing on the top. When you are done you have a 4" tall tier.. maybe a teeny bit taller.

I can't WAIT to get an Agbay leveler.. with the profits of my next wedding cake I am getting one.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:22am
post #25 of 38
Quote:
Quote:

All my wedding cakes are torted. 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling. Much better presentation and I push the fact that the cake is the grand centerpiece of the reception. My party cakes are 3 layers of cake and 2 layers of filling.

ditto. thumbs_up.gif

jackfrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackfrost Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:55am
post #26 of 38

What is a Agbay leveler and where do you order from. I also despise the Wilton level.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:57am
post #27 of 38

I need to order an Agbay NOW! So what do you think guys - do I bite the bullet and order the Deluxe model to make 2 cuts at once???

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:38pm
post #28 of 38

Jackfrost- An agbay is a saw like instrument that cleanly slices the layers in a cake, the regular model allows you to make single cuts whereas the deluxe gives you 2 saws to simultaneously torte two layers. Personally, I dont own one but am told that it is the next best thing after sliced bread!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 11:42pm
post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmeg

Layers won't slide if you fill properly. I do a ring of thick consistancy bc around the edge, then a thin layer of filling, place the next layer on, and PRESS DOWN. I repeat for the next layer, all the way up. When done, I take the thick bc, run it around the cracks, and push in with a spatula, Then I do another ring of thin bc and smooth with the spatula. That locks in the filling as much as possible.

I like for my cakes to settle for a few hours before icing. If you are stacking tiers, dowling or other supports will insure stability throughout.

As far as height, if you bake two 2" rounds, torte each one in half, you'll end up with 4 layers of cake, 3 layers of filling, and a cake that is approximately 4 to 4.5 inches tall after icing.

Lol, I swear, when you describe this I can see Sugarshack doing it in her perfect buttecream DVD! Until I got that thing, I never knew about settling or using firm icing or any of that good stuff.

.......some night I dream of an Agbay. *sigh*

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:08am
post #30 of 38

I wish G SA carried the Agbay, I got a gift cert for my birthday! icon_cry.gif

eta: Wait, I just googled it, I knew it was expensive but didn't realize it was $150! icon_eek.gif What the heck of that thing made of, is it a laser beam?! Time to start making up your holiday wish lists...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%