Cupcake Bakery

Business By sheblea Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 7:24pm by golfgirl1227

sheblea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheblea Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:35pm
post #1 of 3

Hi All,

Do any of you own/operate a "cupcake only" storefront??? I am looking into opening one had some questions about getting started.

1. Do you have to have a hood system if you're just making cupcakes??? Have all the other equipment listed, but wasn't sure about this.
2. Least amount of square footage (I was thinking 1800)
3. Best brand for convection oven
4. Do any of you have pictures you'd like to share of your layout.

Working on business plan so any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.


2 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 3

OH MY. From my understanding. If your using a commercial gas oven you need a vent hood. You'll also need a fire suppression system. 1800 sq ft. is large. Hvae you looked into what rent would be for such a large area?


golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:24pm
post #3 of 3

It all depends on your health department requirements. I had to have a vent hood and I have electric convection. I would have had to get one with a fire suppression system with gas/open flame, which adds a good chunk to the cost, so I went with electric for my burners as well (even though I prefer gas for that, but sacrificed it for the money, lol). I have 1200 square feet, and that's plenty. I have a large kitchen, a decent sized decorating area and enough room for 8 small tables and chairs (could have more, but that's all I bought. I also have a display area in the front window with cakes.

Anyway, if you are finishing out a space from white box finish, you will probably have to get plans approved, fire department approval, etc. which I would have had to do, but I found an existing food service establishment. The work generally has to be done by licensed contractors as well (especially the electric, plumbing, and the mechanical contractor for the vent system). First step is to check with your local health department. There are a lot of hoops to jump through and a lot of people who have to be involved- usually. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%