Royal Icing- Dries Wiht Spots!

Baking By cookiema Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 9:18pm by tiptop57

cookiema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiema Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:32am
post #1 of 2

hello everyone
I have a problem.. when my royal icing dries, spots appear on the cookie.. Spots like the lighter shade of the color itself.. I dont know why, could it be the mixing sequence of the ingredients?
Please help me..
My ingredients are : menegue powder, water, oncf.sugar, a little bit lemon juice ..

thnx in advance

1 reply
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 2

Use egg white instead of meringue and put your RI through a new nylon knee-high stocking after mixing and use good 10X powdered sugar not any 'ole brand on sale.

I think you may have made the RI with too much liquid it can cause the color to separate.

I start with one egg white
Pinch of cream of tartar and
1 cup PS and add by tablespoons to my KA until I get the consistency I prefer. (You can add a dash of lemon juice if you want.)

Royal icing made with too much sugar added too quickly will form a dull, heavy icing and will look grainy in appearance. Always mix on slow speed until its looks white. Then do the peak test. A soft peak you can use it for flat icing and a sharp peak you can use it for piping.

Adding icing sugar to your egg white gradually with plenty of mixing not beating should get you to the right consistency.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%