Fondant Ribbon Around Bottom Of Cake ..... Help

Decorating By jenstastycakes Updated 24 Oct 2010 , 1:09am by tracycakes

jenstastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenstastycakes Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 14

Ok so I created a wedding cake that had a fondant ribbon around the bottom of the tiers. The fondant in the end when I was done with the cake, looked very dry and cracked. I am not sure what I did wrong.

I am requesting help from the fellow CC folks. How do I get the fondant ribbon on the bottom smooth and not crakced around the bottom of the cakes. Is there a trick to doing it better?

13 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 14

I found that if you roll your fondant on a strip of wax paper the same length and width that you need the strip you can then flip it over and cut off access... roll it up like a jelly roll ... (easier to pick it up with out stretching) then attach to cake .. unroll and stick to cake a little at a time.. no stretch.. it's not dry.. and it's not cracked icon_smile.gif

HTH's

jenstastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenstastycakes Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks for the advice I will give it a try.....

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 14

I wish i could tell you how many times I have had fondant stretch and cause me a nightmare!! Never thought about wax paper!! Thanks so much for a great tip!!!!

wgoat5 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:04pm
post #5 of 14

welcome.. Have a wonderful day icon_smile.gif

jessi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessi01 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 14

I love the wax paper tip! thanks thumbs_up.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:43am
post #7 of 14

You stinker Christi, why have you never shared this tip before, I am always struggling with fondant ribbon (always? OK not as if I do that many cakes LOL). LOVE this tip, will have to try it next time. icon_lol.gif

wgoat5 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:22pm
post #8 of 14

icon_smile.gif That is what we are here for right? To help each other icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:04pm
post #9 of 14

I do something very similiar, except I use vinyl cut to strips. That's how I transport it to the venue as well if I need to put the top tier on there.

It also sounds like your fondant may be a little "dry", maybe just add a tad of shortening to it.

maria1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maria1234 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 4:56pm
post #10 of 14

Hello,

I am new to fondant and new to CC. Loving this webiste so far : )

I made a fondant ribbon from wilton already made pastel colors last night and left it out uncovered and this morning noticed that it was hard and it cracked when I moved it. I need it for a cake on this sunday (4days).

How can I repair this or do I have to make another one and if so how can I do this better to transport and apply to the cake.

I had a baker make cake due to time and I was going to take to the decorations to her to place on cake.

I am also attempting the bow tomorrow night and given it 3days to dry. I bought the already made fondant from Wilton I wanted it a pastel pink and was going to apply food coloring gel and hope for the best : ) I wnat to make sure it doesn't fall apart so any suggestions are welcomed.

thank you all
Maria

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 5:13pm
post #11 of 14

always, always make extra loops in cases like this. I make a bunch then some work and some crack..

maria1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maria1234 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 12:56am
post #12 of 14

wgoat5,

how many days before I make the cake can I roll the ribbon and do I leave it rolled and covered till I apply on cake??

Made a ribbon left it out and it's too hard and it cranked.

t4beatles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
t4beatles Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 4:35am
post #13 of 14

If I'm understanding the ribbon part for around the cake I don't think you should leave it out. You won't be able to fit it nicely around the cake if it's dry and hard to bend. Maybe cut and put on the wax paper and wrap up carefully to keep until ready to use.

For your Bow it should be left out to dry.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 1:09am
post #14 of 14

Alot of my wedding cakes this summer have had fondant ribbons and I used to really struggle with them. My trick now is after I get them cut, I very LIGHTLY sprinkle just a little cornstarch over the whole thing and roll it up. I just hold it in the palm on one hand and the other hand attaches the ribbon to the cake. I used to have terrible problems and sort of discovered this method.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%