Using Rice Krispies Treats? Smooth Look Under Fondant?

Decorating By rlreynolds217 Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 8:20pm by rlreynolds217

rlreynolds217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlreynolds217 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:43pm
post #1 of 8

Hello! Does anyone know how to make rice krispies treats look smooth under fondant? I have used them for two cakes, and even though I used buttercream, they still looked a little lumpy. I thought that I packed them tight enough, but still didn't achieve the look I wanted. Can you take a lemon zester and "file" it????

7 replies
gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:48pm
post #2 of 8

you can grind the cereal in a food processor. haven't done it myself, but i know people have done it with good results. it does take away some of the crunchy-ness of it, though.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 8

crush them up a little bit with your hands before mixing in the marshmallows, it helps them pack tighter and then be generous with your buttercream.......I'll attach two photos of cakes I've done using them.......on one the mushroom was r.k. treats and the other, the lid of the treasure chest, both covered in fondant and neither one had any bumpiness to them at all.
LL
LL

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:51pm
post #4 of 8

Good info

Thanks
Molly2 thumbs_up.gif

Lee9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee9 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:58pm
post #5 of 8

i just finished a purse and present cake, which I haven't had time to put in my photos yet, that turned out very smooth. First I chopped them up a little with my chopper and then followed the recipe except I left out the butter. After I formed into my shape I let it sit overnight, the next mornig I did a thin layer of BC, then fondant; completely smooth. This process also made them hard as a rock so you wouldn't want to eat it.

rlreynolds217 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 2:24pm
post #6 of 8

Wow!!! KHalstead!!! Those are AWESOME!!! Thanks for the advice, ladies. Yeah, I guess that does make sense LOL!!!! I will let you know how it turns out!!!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 8

I only omit the butter if I need a very structurally sound r.k. treat....like for this penguin and then I just add butter flavored extract so they still taste yummy.....they will dry much harder, but nobody ever cares...they're always the first thing to go on my cakes! This penguin cake was specifically made because the birthday guy hates cake and LOVE r.k. treats and of course the Pittsburgh Penguins lol
LL

rlreynolds217 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 8:20pm
post #8 of 8

Khalstead...the penguin is too cute! The whole thing is rk?????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%