What Is This Technique Called? (Pics On A Website)

Business By mom2spunkynbug Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 9:37pm by JenWhitlock

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:25am
post #1 of 9

Does anyone know the technique that is used on websites...(I'll try to explain it...), where there are lots of little pictures of your cakes off to the side, and then if you click on one, next to it will show the big picture of the cake that you clicked on.

You can see what I'm talking about here: http://www.cakenouveau.com/cakes.html

If anyone knows how to do this, please reply or PM me. If anyone knows what it's called so I can look up how to do this, please let me know!

Thanks so much in advance!


8 replies
mysticamethyst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysticamethyst Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:39am
post #2 of 9

I am prettty sure that is Adobe Flash. I cannot use it at all will be learning very soon. If you are a good visual learner you can go to lynda.com it's $25 a month but you can learn so much there it's insane. This of CC but for graphic art software programs. HTH


leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:46am
post #3 of 9

Definitely flash.

There are similar things that you can do in Photobucket, but they're not really flash.

yzabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yzabelle Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:03am
post #4 of 9

For this particular website, they used the programming language: Javascript. You can also do something similar in Flash.

armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 11:32am
post #5 of 9

there are many ways to do this. i usually use adobe illustrator to make my webpages. I use flash when I want something to move around the page. what programs are you using.....maybe I can help a little more. Email me and I'll see what I can do.

[email protected]

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:45pm
post #6 of 9

Was there any software that came with your website start up? My webhost had a program that did it for me. Some of them call it a thumbnail picture. It's not exactly the same as the Flash on that website, but it will generate a larger picture when you click on the thumbnail. I just googled "website thumbnail" and came up with a bunch of services for making your own, some free, some not.

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:15pm
post #7 of 9

I would have guessed flash,
but I did a 'vew source' and it's actually javascript as mentioned in previous post.
if you are a good programer you can always look at the source code and modify it to do what you need.

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 7:54pm
post #8 of 9

Here is a link to Dynamic Drive website, the html and the simple directions will give you what you want in a thumbnail viewer. It's free. Great site for html codes.

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 9:37pm
post #9 of 9

thanks! I'm going to use some of those!
(I hate debugging code)

Quote by @%username% on %date%