Booties

Decorating By edcjenv Updated 16 Aug 2005 , 2:31pm by briansbaker

edcjenv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edcjenv Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 5:12am
post #1 of 11

Hi all !! I have seen so many adorable cakes w/ baby booties made out of fondant? I don't think they're all gumpaste... anyway....I would love any suggestions or tips... Just using fondant or candy clay....What are the best techniques? Thanx!

10 replies
cakesoncall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesoncall Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 5:17am
post #2 of 11

My suggestion--don't rush it. Make sure you leave plenty of time for drying. I did a pair a while back as a last minute decision. I was very pleased with them, but they weren't completely dry.

Cali4Dawn has a great tutorial and templates on her webshots page (at least she did the last time I was on there), but I'm not sure of the exact address. Maybe someone else knows it.

edcjenv Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 5:19am
post #3 of 11

hmmm....thanx for the tip....if I go ahead and put the booties together, how do I store them until sat? I'm so glad you mentioned that....I forgot about drying time!

cakesoncall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesoncall Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 5:37am
post #4 of 11

Once they're dry, I usually just put them in a Ziplock bag to keep them from getting dusty (or covered in powdered sugar! lol) and then store them at room temperature out of direct light (natural or artificial). I wait until the day the cake is due or the day before to lace the booties or put flowers in them. (I think they are sooo cute with a little bit of babies breath sticking out of the shoe) icon_smile.gif

PS. You could stick the booties in a Ziplock bag before they are completely dry if you needed to. Just don't zip the bag shut all the way.

edcjenv Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 12:54pm
post #5 of 11

Thanx for the drying tips.....does anyone else know how to actually make the booties???? Thanx!!!

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 11

ok i think this is dawns tutorial if i am wrong someone please correct me

http://community.webshots.com/album/283308759UqOctN

dinkadoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinkadoo Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 5:50pm
post #7 of 11

I found those booties by searching here last week. I made them for a cake tomorrow and they are ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE!! I can't wait to show you the pictures next week!
Lisa icon_wink.gif
I posted it to my photos today!

edcjenv Posted 13 Aug 2005 , 11:00pm
post #8 of 11

I just have to say cali4dawn's tutorial worked great! thanx susanmm for finding it for me! I think the booties turned out welll....and will get much better w/practice. I posted the cake as Retro Baby. My customer was very pleased. Thanx all!

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 9:17am
post #9 of 11

I have a hard time with fondant so I can't help you there, but I made a cake topper for a baby shower, I used cupcakes to make the baby booties and then put them on the cake. It was really easy and they tasted delicious. They're in my pictures if you're interested. icon_smile.gif

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 10:27am
post #10 of 11

I also made booties from fondant, on the cake below. And would also say to take your time, and give them plenty of drying time. I didn't actually cut mine from a pattern, I just sort of molded the little opening around my finger and went from there and did it by hand. I poked my holes for the laces with a tip and used regular 1/8 in. ribbon for laces, hope this helps.
LL

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 2:31pm
post #11 of 11

I've been told that if you get two big marshmellows and lay one down and add the other one behind it at a upright position stick a toothpick in the center to hold it together.. with the star tip decorate it and there you have booties.. I really need to try this and show a picture of it..Good Luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%