How Do I Make Something Like This? Guitar Amp Cake...

Decorating By tugboat Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 1:00am by Doug

tugboat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tugboat Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 6

I want to make a guitar amp cake for my husband's birthday this next week and I need help on how to make it. Here is a pic of what it looks like. What size pan do I use and how do I stack it? Any ideas of how I could make this would be great. I've never made any 3-D cakes before so I don't know how to start it. It also doesn't need to be very big...enough to feed 4 people.

Thanks,
Ruthie
LL

5 replies
kristykgs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristykgs Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 6

I've only made a few 3D cakes, (hoping to make more), so I'm not sure if I can be of much assistance. But here goes my thoughts.

1) for the bottom of the amp, I would use a 9X13 pan and stack as big as you want

2) for the top of the amp, cut the 9x13 down just a bit so it's still rectangle, but smaller than the bottom.

3) cover in Fondant with the colors needed

4) not sure how to do the grill work on the front of the amp.

personally from the picture I have in my mind, I'm not quite sure how you would make this for only 4 people and it still be proportionally correct.

I hope this helps a little, maybe someone with more experience will answer with better answers.

Good luck

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 6

this may help

start w/ a 9x13 cake (smallest practical size -- enough for 4 + leftovers -- that or 2 teen boys)

cut as show and stack.

you will need cake board between every TWO layers. and of course dowels for support.

it's just a plain ol' tier cake in disguise.

ice and deco as works best for you.

HTH
LL

arline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arline Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:21am
post #4 of 6

Being a newbie cake decorator, may I suggest something for the speaker mesh? I'd make it from a rolled out sheet of fondant or choc. modeling clay in the color you want of the mesh and then press into it either a plastic sheet that has those various dimensional impressions in them one can buy for cake decorating or clay work. Then I'd highlight few threaded strands with some food dye mixed with a little vodka every so often a in a darker color to add some dimension. You might just look for a large, open weave piece of fabric or netting to get those grid marks as a last resort and press that in the surface for the impressions and dimension (make sure it doesn't have loose threads that would adhere to surface!)

arline

tugboat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tugboat Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:06am
post #5 of 6

What great ideas! Thanks for the great ideas. Doug, thanks for your wonderful diagram. It will help me alot. I think I will actually make the cake bigger and use an 11x15 pan instead. I am sure I could use the same idea. I appreciate your help and hopefully will do a good job on it. How many layers should I make it to be tall enough?

-Ruthie

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:00am
post #6 of 6

proportion of 2 to 1

2 layers in bottom part for every one in the top part, as per diagram

4 and 2 will make a very big cake if you use an 11x15 pan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%