How Do You Do The "slice Of Cake Taken Out" Cake..

Decorating By yelle66 Updated 31 May 2008 , 2:37am by melmusick

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone know of instructions for it. You know the one with the one piece of cake taken out? I tried searching, but for some reason I can't find a thing when I use the search on here. I even put in a phrase I knew was in a post and couldn't find it again.

7 replies
yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 8

I would also like to know!! bump!

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 8

I did one. I torted and filled my cake then I cut a slice out and put it on a cake board I had cut into a triangle shape. Then I iced and covered in fondant as I would any other cake. Getting that little slice iced and covered was a bit tricky though. And I wrapped the fondant around the whole slice piece and board so the board wouldn't show.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 8

I've never made one..just a guess...maybe you could cut out the slice of cake as the above person suggested and instead of trying to cover such a small peice of cake with hard angles just use a peice of foam or something for the slice. This way it would be a firmer surface to cover...just an idea. I'm curious what the others will say, as i've never done one of these cakes but always thought it would be neat to try one day.
suz

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 31 May 2008 , 1:19am
post #5 of 8

I made this cake awhile back. It was intimidating until I actually started it and then I realized it really wasn't hard I just had to be patient. I torted, filled, lightly iced, and covered the entire cake in fondant. Then I put it in the fridge overnight to get really cold. The next day I cut out a nice thick piece (like I would a pie). I put 4 plastic dowels into the cake where the slice would lay. I sat the slice on top of the cake and secured it with 2 wooden dowels through it. I used a small spatula and iced the cake that was showing and put a few strips of fondant over the icing to look like filling. Then using the same icing and small spatula I iced the cake where the piece was missing and did the same with the strips to fondant. Then I decorated the cake (swirls, dots, and border) and stuck it back in the fridge until the bride, it was a small 10" wedding cake, picked it up the next day and drove it about an hour in the car to a nearby lake. I don't think there is a pic in my gallery and we have a new computer so I know my pic isn't on here...sorry I can't show it to you. However, I went by a pic from Duff's website when I made the cake and the cake title is "Slice". Hope this helps. Just make sure to have the cake REALLY cold...it holds up better. thumbs_up.gif

Just checked...the pic is in my gallery!

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 31 May 2008 , 1:32am
post #6 of 8

I recently tackled this cake. Like the other posted stated make sure the cake is cold when you slice it (you'll get a better cut this way).

First I tried icing the cake with buttercream but for some reason it just didn't look right so I opted for fondant.

Covered the entire cake with fondant - the place where the missing cake is I took a pair of cooking scissors and carefully cut away the excess. Next I measured the cut out and cut a piece of a different color fondant to fit.

For the top cut piece of cake I cut 3 seperate pieces (2 sides and 1 long piece for the top and back) I put the cake in the frig to harden up and then I laid it on a piece of wax paper which was laying on top of the fondant and then I traced the pattern and cut the fondant to the exact shape I needed.

I also added dowels to the cake for support and 1 longer dowel down the center of the top cake into the bottom for support.

For the filling I was to tired by this time and instead of cutting fondant in a different shade I took my gel dye and mix it with a bit of water and hand painted the fake filling lines.

Not a hard cake just a lot of steps.

Hopes this helps.

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 31 May 2008 , 1:42am
post #7 of 8

saved icon_biggrin.gif

melmusick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmusick Posted 31 May 2008 , 2:37am
post #8 of 8

I made this cake for my DD's best friend. It was a little bit of a challenge for me, but it turned out ok. I got the basic idea from a fellow cc'er... Thankx!
I actually froze my cake then took a slice out of it. I put the slice on a triangle shaped piece of board, then iced the cake and slice with buttercream and added fondant addents where the slice was cut and on the slice itself. When I placed the slice on top, I did add 2 dowels to keep it stable. I'm ready to try another one.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%