Upside Down Technique With 2 Colors???

Decorating By laborrn2 Updated 31 May 2008 , 4:40am by Franluvsfrosting

laborrn2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laborrn2 Posted 29 May 2008 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 5

Does anyone know if you can use the "upside down" frosting technique for a smooth top and end up with 1 color on "top" of cake and 1 color on sides? I want a white-topped cake with pink sides. How to do without corrupting the colors??

4 replies
Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 29 May 2008 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 5

I've done this with a dark chocolate frosting on top and a milk chocolate on the sides. I frosted the circle with the dark then built my cake upside down just the the instructions direct. Then I used the milk chocolate on the sides. When you flip it over you will see where the two colors "join" together. On mine I simply piped a border over it. If you look in my cake photos it's the "Willow Tree Wedding" cake but you can't really see the top of the cake because of the angle of the picture. It did work out well though. HTH

Franluvsfrosting Posted 29 May 2008 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 5

I've done this with a dark chocolate frosting on top and a milk chocolate on the sides. I frosted the circle with the dark then built my cake upside down just the the instructions direct. Then I used the milk chocolate on the sides. When you flip it over you will see where the two colors "join" together. On mine I simply piped a border over it. If you look in my cake photos it's the "Willow Tree Wedding" cake but you can't really see the top of the cake because of the angle of the picture. It did work out well though. HTH

laborrn2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laborrn2 Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 5

one more question........can you do the "upside-down" technique with wax paper or only parchment?

Franluvsfrosting Posted 31 May 2008 , 4:40am
post #5 of 5

I happened to have parchment so I didn't try it with wax paper. The only thing I would say regardless of what you use is make sure it's taped tightly or you will get wrinkles when you frost it. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%