Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how I might go about making something to look like driftwood to put on a cake. They don't have to be huge pieces - just a couple of inches or so - it's going on a beachy themed tiered cake. The people are really into driftwood!! lol I guess I could just make it out of fondant but I'm thinking maybe there may be an even more creative way!
thanks
Brandie
you could make driftwood ftom marbeling your fondant with 2 or 3 wood looking colors. Just play with the shape a little to make your pieces. I have a picture of wooden fence posts in my pictures and i loved how the "wood" turned out & it was very easy. Hope that helps some.
Pastillage makes fantastic drift wood! It's just 2 cups powdered sugar, 1 Tbsp. tylose, and just enough water to make a dough. It can be used immediately. Keep any that you are not using completely covered. A damp towel over the plastic will help prevent drying.
It dries VERY quickly, so you have to work quickly. It can be textured and colored. My favorite way to color the wood is to mix powdered color with Everclear (grain alcohol). A light gray painted across the wood will give it a weathered look.
By the way, you can freeze any left over pastillage. Rub shortening over the pastillage, wrap it at least 3 times with plastic wrap, then place in a zipper bag, remove any air, and then freeze. When you need it again, let it come to room temperature on its own (don't nuke it).
HTH
Michele
p.s. If you look in my gallery there are several pictures with trees and logs. These are all made with pastillage.
Quote by @%username% on %date%
%body%