Requirement To Start A Cake Business In Gwinnette Ga

Business By ponques Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 9:28pm by ponques

ponques Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ponques Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:54am
post #1 of 4

I am interested in starting a cake bussiness. My kitchen doesnt have the requirement of a home bakery bussiness.
I was advised to use a church kitchen to solve this matter.
My questions are:
Do I need any insurance? How much is it? Does anyone knows of any good insurance company?
Do I need to register the name of my company in order to get a licence?
Do I need to have a LLC company to protect myself from sues?

I dont know where to start from this is very confusing.
I need your help

3 replies
Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 27 May 2008 , 3:17am
post #2 of 4

I would also love to hear these answers.

I have built a seperate kitchen and have been passed inspection through the Dept. of Agriculture (yeah!!!).

So I am ready to get going.

cheflish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheflish Posted 27 May 2008 , 3:25am
post #3 of 4

ponques~
The Department of Agriculture will have some of this information for you. They are VERY helpful!!! I would love to hear how it all turns out for you with renting the church kitchen...one thing the DofA cautioned against was that church kitchens MAY not want to rent out space as they are non-profit, and this might affect the status. (??) But, I have heard of others doing this, so....I wish you the best!

A friend of the family is a lawyer, and he did suggest that if I ever did decide to make a go at a business that I would need to protect myself with insurance (including umbrella policy) and a business entity - such as an LLC. (Just remember to sign everything - including the lease, rental agreements, etc - with the LLC name, not yours....)

I used to work for a Commercial Insurance company that I would be happy to recommend - but I don't know how CC feels about giving references online - so if you want to pm me, I will forward you their number.

Amy729~ Congrats on the new kitchen!!!

Good luck to you both on this endeavor!!!

I just bake for FUN. (My DH co-workers love it...) I have a wee one, but maybe one day I will be able to have a business or work with a bakery.

ponques Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ponques Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks cheflish.
I will let you know how everything goes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%