I Made My First Stick-Roses! And I Luv It!!!

Decorating By indydebi Updated 8 Jul 2008 , 10:24pm by Rincewind

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 26 May 2008 , 8:17pm
post #31 of 70

The roses are gorgeuos. Well Done! thumbs_up.gif

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 26 May 2008 , 8:49pm
post #32 of 70

"That woman is a machine......her reverse shell border made me want to cry"

That's exactly how I feel. Glad to know I'm know the only one who can't zip through a cake in 10 minutes!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 26 May 2008 , 8:56pm
post #33 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by amysue99

That's exactly how I feel. Glad to know I'm know the only one who can't zip through a cake in 10 minutes!

Go to work for a bakery - you'll be doing cakes in 10 minutes very quickly. Trust me! LOL!

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 26 May 2008 , 8:58pm
post #34 of 70

To repeat the phrase........"Holy Crap".....I think she has done a few times...and that boarder....zip zip and it was done. Great video....thanks for sharing and I'm sure a lot of us are off to practice, I know I am.............

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 26 May 2008 , 10:18pm
post #35 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked

Quote:

Go to work for a bakery - you'll be doing cakes in 10 minutes very quickly. Trust me! LOL!

Aint that the truth!....they were going like that at the first place i was hired....i thought i'd never get fast.....but you do.

i don't like fussing with a cake forever.

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 27 May 2008 , 12:47am
post #36 of 70

They are gorgeous!

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 9:53pm
post #37 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

Holy Crap, did you guys watch that video?? That woman is a machine!! She made those roses faster then I could watch and her reverse shell border made me want to cry - I want to do that!

I have watched that video about 15 times now. I really would like to learn that technique. She was so fast.

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 10:44pm
post #38 of 70

I recently tried it also and like you I LOVE IT. Here is a pic
LL

Eileenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eileenscakes Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 11:58pm
post #39 of 70

Holy crap is right!!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif I don't think I can think that fast never mind ice a cake that fast lol icon_biggrin.gif

I am definitely going to try the stick trick now, I have been having trouble with my roses since I started decorating but maybe this way will work for me!

Thanks for sharing! thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:14am
post #40 of 70

Geez Indy -- had I known you wanted to learn I would have brought my dowel and frosting to our lunch last Fall!! icon_lol.gif

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:26am
post #41 of 70

ya know... just when you think you're getting good at some of this stuff, things like this video come along! LOL

I want to practice now... Darn you people and your motivating tactics! icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:28am
post #42 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Geez Indy -- had I known you wanted to learn I would have brought my dowel and frosting to our lunch last Fall!! icon_lol.gif

A working lunch! A REAL business write-off!! icon_lol.gif

kmoores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmoores Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:32am
post #43 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked

Quote:

I work for a bakery here, and let me tell you, you learn VERY quickly how to ice fast! Only difference with work and home is that I use BC and fondant here and whipped icing there.

As for those roses, I'm just gonna have to give it a shot! It looks so much easier than what I have been doing.

disneynutbsv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disneynutbsv Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:13am
post #44 of 70

I was inspired to do this today and I have to say I will NEVER go back to using a flower nail again!!!
They are in my pictures, for some reason I can't copy and paste???

chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 11:53am
post #45 of 70

Wow! Thanks for the post IndyDebi! I have never been able to make a buttercream rose. (Although I have also never taken a class.) With the help of books and trial and error (not to mention CC!) I have learned many things. Trying to do BC roses with only the Wilton instruction book has been difficult. The last time I needed them for a cake I was so frustrated, my boyfriend at the time came over and asked what was wrong and I told him. He looked at the directions and asked if he could try. I handed him the piping bag and said "sure" kind of rolling my eyes to myself. Go figure, his first one was perfect. (growl...) I just smiled and told him I need 26 more. I have been haunted by those things since. icon_smile.gif I did marry him though, just in case I need anymore BC roses. icon_wink.gif

I am eager to try this method. Maybe I will finally be able to make my own!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:16pm
post #46 of 70

Littlecake was that your video? If so THANK you!!! I am BC rose challenged... and to be a decorator I think that is a no no LOL

Beautiful work!!! And that cake turned out beautifully!

Melissa that cake also turned out beautiful!! Your roses are amazing!!

I'm soooo envious!!!!

Debbi are you faster at doing them on the stick now?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:15pm
post #47 of 70

oh yeah, much faster on a stick! These are so much easier, that my 15 year old's first rose was practically perfect, so I can even assign her to whip some up for me!

mommy2djb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2djb Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:22pm
post #48 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

oh yeah, much faster on a stick! These are so much easier, that my 15 year old's first rose was practically perfect, so I can even assign her to whip some up for me!

Child labor at it's best! icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:25pm
post #49 of 70
Quote:

now I feel like a total loser icon_cry.gif

valerie01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valerie01 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:44pm
post #50 of 70

Beautiful roses! Thank you very much for the video link. I have sworn off bc roses, but now I think I'll give them another try.

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 6:12pm
post #51 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Quote:

now I feel like a total loser icon_cry.gif

Don't feel bad, Christi!! I tried last night to do these, and couldn't make one to save my a$$. icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 7:01pm
post #52 of 70

Good job on these roses.

mom2leelee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2leelee Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 8:21pm
post #53 of 70

Is there a tutorial somewhere? I watched the video but there is no way I can learn just watching that. I did attempt to try them last night and they weren't so bad shaped, but they just slid right down the skewer. Is there a BC recipe that is better than others? I have been using the one in the faux fondant article.

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 3:22am
post #54 of 70

OMG That lady on the video is the Michael Jordan of buttercream icon_eek.gif I have to try this, and the reverse border made me feel very inadecuate, but I have to make a batch of buttercream and it will either be very good or very very bad...

oboemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oboemommy Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 6:07am
post #55 of 70

Beautiful cake, indydebi. I just learned this technique myself last week. I never could make a decent rose with a nail and when I saw that video a while back, I was happy to find out there's another way. icon_smile.gif I love this method and won't bother with nail again. I don't know if I'll ever be as fast as the lady in the video, but at least my roses look like roses now, and not blobs.

mom2leelee - I looked for a tutorial but couldn't find anything. Basically after watching the video a zillion times, I made some batches of BC and practiced a little each day and eventually got the hang of it. Some notes I made:

1. A medium to stiff BC is best. (Sorry I'm a newbie and I'm not familiar with the BC you mentioned icon_redface.gif ) Anything that is too thin will slide right down and will cause the rose to fall apart once you try to remove it. For practice, I used the Wilton BC recipe. A little light corn syrup will help keep stiff icing from cracking. I tried this method using SMBC. I was only able to make small roses (and that's with chilling the icing a little).
2. Large roses can start to look like pine cones while still on the dowel, but once I use the scissors to lift it off, the rose scrunches down a little and looks fine.
3. As I start/end each petal, I touch the tip to the dowel to sort of anchor it. I hope that make sense.

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 8:35am
post #56 of 70

Oboemommy - thanks for the tips. I'm going to have to give it another go soon. Y'all are getting me motivated!

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 1:09pm
post #57 of 70

Well, I tried them. Have to say it was kinda fun. Mine did slide down most of the time but I kept working and then just slid off the stick with scissors and they looked ok. Had a whole in the middle where the stick was so I just kinda filled that in. I used bamboo sticks. I will keep trying because it was fun. Thanks for the link!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 1:31pm
post #58 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Littlecake was that your video? If so THANK you!!! I am BC rose challenged... and to be a decorator I think that is a no no LOL

Beautiful work!!! And that cake turned out beautifully!

Melissa that cake also turned out beautiful!! Your roses are amazing!!

I'm soooo envious!!!!

Debbi are you faster at doing them on the stick now?

oh shoot! that aint me ON the video....i just found someone who does it the same way i do!

i guess i should quit callin it my video.... icon_redface.gif

sorry to lady on there! tapedshut.gif

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:42am
post #59 of 70

There is a pictorial on stick roses under "articles" on the top of the page by ntertaynme/Cheryl...

LindseyLoocy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindseyLoocy Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:56am
post #60 of 70

I just watched the video and I am amazed. I have never seen that method before and I can't wait to try it out! Thanks for posting that video. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%