Will Fmm Cutters Work With Chocolate?

Decorating By mbt4955 Updated 27 May 2008 , 3:13pm by ibmoser

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 25 May 2008 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 7

I just ordered FMM Alphabet cutters and I am wondering if I can use them to cut out of chocolate. Has anyone ever tried this? I am doing a cake with chocolate covered strawberries and I would love to have the writing in chocolate rather than icing.

Thanks!
Martha

6 replies
Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 25 May 2008 , 10:58pm
post #2 of 7

I only have the wilton cutters. I know they wouildn't work. When I want chocolate writing I print a font I like on paper, cover with wax paper and pipe over it. I make several in case of breakage. When dry I peel off the waxpaper and place on the cake.

StephW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephW Posted 25 May 2008 , 11:13pm
post #3 of 7

I don't think they would work on regular chocolate that has been set. Even if you have a very thin layer and try to cut the letters, I think it would crack.

Maybe you could try chocolate clay? I think you can find recipes for it on CC and I think you could roll it and use it with the cutters.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 25 May 2008 , 11:16pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the suggestions. I have never heard of chocolate clay, but chocolate and corn syrup ... it would have to taste okay. I'm going to give it a shot. thumbs_up.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 25 May 2008 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 7

I haven't tried them on chocolate clay, but I think it would work just fine. I will be interested to know how you get on, I love the FMM tappitts.

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 27 May 2008 , 3:53am
post #6 of 7

I use the Wilton alphabet cutters on chocolate clay all the time, they work fine. It does help if you roll out the clay smooth and let it sit for just a minute or two to cool off and firm up before you cut it.

If the letter sticks in the cutter just tap the top of the cutter and it will fall out.

Also let the letters sit for a while and firm up even more before you try to move them with a spatula.

Chocolate clay tastes very good, but keep in mind that when it warms up from handling it gets droopy and sticky and hard to work with, it also shows fingerprints easily.

If you want to use plain chocolate I would suggest a plastic mold or the piping method described by Granpam.

HTH.

Kim

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 27 May 2008 , 3:13pm
post #7 of 7

I have successfully used them with chocolate clay - just roll it thin ( I used my pasta roller) and have a straight pin handy to help tease the letters out if they want to stick. Try to keep the working area cool.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%