Flawless Fondant

Decorating By sherryj Updated 23 May 2008 , 4:02am by plbennett_8

sherryj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherryj Posted 22 May 2008 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone know how to fix a flaw in fondant once you have put it on the cake? Such as a crack or fingerprint. My instructor told me that there is no way to fix it. To just cover it with a decoration.

6 replies
ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 22 May 2008 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 7

Your easiest way is with a decoration. However, if you have a crack you can use royal icing to fill it in...just fill along the crack and wipe away excess. As for a fingerprint...all you should have to do is use the fondant smoother over that and it should go away...that shouldn't be a problem...

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 22 May 2008 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 7

Hi Sherry icon_smile.gif

If you give us a little more information, maybe we can help a bit more... icon_smile.gif Sometimes you can work out some minor imperfections by gently rubbing a little shortening on the area. Just pay attention to what you are doing. Huge flaws...nope...not much you can do... Let us know.

HTH,
Pat

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 22 May 2008 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 7

I use a little shortening and rub it out. If small it works well. Don't believe me, check out my cakes.

Then if there is a big crack then I pick the fondant up and re-roll it as long as the frosting underneath is not chocolate. LOL

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 22 May 2008 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 7

Yep, I do RI or crisco to fill in the cracks or tiny bubbles you get. I would also recommend Sugar Shacks's "Flaless Fondant" video, it helps A LOT!!

sherryj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherryj Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:10am
post #6 of 7

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I will have to try the crisco trick if I get another crack. Yeah, I was thinking of purchasing that Flawless Fondant video.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 23 May 2008 , 4:02am
post #7 of 7

I recommend all of Sugarshack's (Sharon) DVD's. They have helped me immensely! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%