Baking Mat For Cookies?

Baking By fondantfrenzy Updated 29 May 2008 , 4:50pm by millicente

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 21 May 2008 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone use a baking mat to make their sugar cookies? If so what do you think about it? What do you have to do differently?

5 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:54am
post #2 of 6

I only use the Silpat mats, yes. They rock! It's great, even baking. No burnt bottoms. No messy flour. They go right from the freezer and into the oven too if you need, very convenient. I have 12 of them to fit my half-tray cookie sheets. LOVE THEM!!

I've used mine for about 8 years now, which pleases me so much when I think of all the parchment paper that saved from ending up in the garbage.

I roll my dough right onto the mats without the need for dusting with any flour at all, cut the cookie shapes, slide the whole Silpat onto a cookie sheet, put it into the freezer for 10-15 minutes, pop out the stiff cookies onto another Silpat and right into the oven. No mess! Here's it step-by-step in photos....

http://www.cakecentral.com/article54-How-To-Bake--Decorate-Cookies.html

thumbs_up.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 6

Lesser-quality baking mats do unfortunately tend to get all wavy when you bake on them. You have to get the real deal, the Silpat mats are by FAR the best quality. Here's a link to buy the 1/2 sheet sized ones at Amazon on sale this week, but you can get them at Williams Sonoma and fine kitchen stores too. They come in a few different sizes, but these fit "regular" cookie sheets:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008T960/?tag=cakecentral-20

icon_smile.gif

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 6

I totally agree with Antonia, I love Sil-Pats!

I use the Roul-Pat to roll my cookies out on. I never use any additional flour.

I try to get them on sale or use a coupon from Bed,Bath and Beyond or Linens and Things.

cookieswithdots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieswithdots Posted 27 May 2008 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 6

I recently bought two baking sheets that are 14 x 20. Any suggestions for finding mats that will fit this size? Seems I've looked just about everywhere.

Thanks!

millicente Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millicente Posted 29 May 2008 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 6

Yes only count on Sil pat.............becuse the el cheapo silicone mats make cookies spread so I use the cheap ones that I mame a misstake and bought for my cc & oatmeal cookies. Its makes them spread perfectly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%