Power Rangers

Decorating By jjandascog Updated 12 Aug 2005 , 1:01am by jjandascog

jjandascog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjandascog Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 12:24am
post #1 of 10

My neighbor just stopped by and asked me to make her son's birthday cake. He wants Power Rangers. Anybody have any cute ideas? I know nothing about Power Rangers.

9 replies
smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 1:28pm
post #2 of 10

You can do a buttercream transfer of a power ranger. There are several of them, red, yellow, white, blue, pink, ETC. You should be able to find a coloring page online to download for the transfer. Wilton also makes a power ranger cake pan if you want to do a shaped cake. Maybe you can find an edible image or use figures that you can get in the toy department. I bet if you search the gallery, you can find some power ranger cakes there.

Hope that helps!

jjandascog Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 10

The problem is that most of the cakes I have done are pretty elaborate because I am trying to use a new technique or material for every cake so that I can learn and get more experience. The cakes I've been making have been completely edible including the 3-D decorations on top. I don't mind using plastic figures but I would like to do something more along the lines of the things I've been doing and that is what my neighbor is expecting. I just don't know enough about Power Rangers to be able to come up with any ideas.

smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 2:22pm
post #4 of 10

I can only see one cake you have in the gallery so I am not sure but I am guessing though that you probably want something more than just a flat image on a sheet cake. Have you done a buttercream transfer before? They are completely edible. This might be a good time to try that technique if you haven't already. I only found one in the gallery with a power ranger (I bet there are more) but you could look at that for an example. Someone also did a pokemon cake with about a dozen images on her cake. You could do something similar with the power rangers maybe using different size pans if you don't want to do just a sheet cake or round cake. I think the star pan would be a good one for the power rangers or just tiers of whatever you want. You could carve a shape if you want. Maybe if the birthday boy had a favorite power ranger you could carve it out of a sheet cake and make it that way. Anyhow, here's the link if you want to look at that pokemon cake:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&member_id=10517&cat=0&pos=7

Good luck!

jjandascog Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 10

I know...I don't have a digital camera and the pictures my neighbor has taken for me are all too dark to see the cakes well. I haven't gotten around to taking my 35mm pics to have them put on a disc yet. I need to do that.

Two of the really elaborate cakes I've done were a tropical Dora cake for my daughter's birthday and a tropical flamingo cake for a 50th birthday. Both had edible 3D palm trees, jelly bean rocks. For the flamingo cake I made candy melt seashells and the flamingos were handmade with fondant. I also made a grass hut out of chocolate covered pretzel sticks and royal icing but it ended up being too big for the cake so we just sat it next to the cake as a decoration. The Dora cake had handmade fondant pineapples, coconuts, bridge and a tiki pole banner.

So I think even an edible image would be too plain for what my neighbor is expecting. I really want to do something either 3D on top of a sheet cake or make a small tiered cake. I just don't know anything about Power Rangers to come up with an idea. I looked at Power Ranger party supplies but all they have is just a picture of the Power Ranger. What do Power Rangers do?!? I don't want to just copy a picture but I need an idea for a theme to get my creative juices flowing.

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 3:18pm
post #6 of 10

I think power rangers come on either wg or upn or maybe fox. Check you local listings and watch an episode. Or ask your neighbor if her son has any videos you might be able to borrow or maybe try going to the local rental place and rent a movie or 2.

From what i have seen power rangers run around fighting to save ummmmm i guess the world. Sorry couldnt be much more help

jjandascog Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 3:22pm
post #7 of 10

I was so hoping not to have to actually watch it icon_cry.gif Thanks anyway for your help.

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 5:20pm
post #8 of 10

What if you did something like this but made it look like a Power Ranger?
I did not do this cake, but you use a styrofoam wig model head ( whatever you call it icon_smile.gif
LL

jjandascog Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 5:30pm
post #9 of 10

That's a neat cake! I need to ask the little boy if he wants one Power Ranger or all of them. My son tells me that everybody has their favorite color Power Ranger. Gee Mom, you're so dumb! So if he wants a specific one that would be a great idea. I still have a couple of weeks to figure it out.

jjandascog Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 1:01am
post #10 of 10

Ok, I think I'm going to do a sheet cake in the colors and with either the ball pan or the easter egg pan, make a 3D power ranger helmet/mask. I'm sure I'm going to need to put a dowel in the center to hold it in place. Can anyone tell me what other structural things I might need to know before I have a disaster on my hands?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%