Freezing A Completed Cake?

Decorating By BellaBabyCakes Updated 20 May 2008 , 2:06am by jeffer01

BellaBabyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaBabyCakes Posted 20 May 2008 , 12:21am
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone,

My son is graduating next weekend and I plan on bringing the cake for the party on the 31st. Only problem is, about the only time I have to do much of anything is on my three day Memorial Day weekend.

Is it possible to freeze a decorated cake? I plan on doing WASC cake, raspberry and lemon filling with FBCT as decoration.

Thanks for helping me do this as efficiently as possible!

8 replies
jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 20 May 2008 , 12:29am
post #2 of 9

I have not had good results with the icing/decorations when frozen icon_cry.gif but i bet there are some cc'ers that have wonderful tips for better results.

I want to hear them as well! thumbs_up.gif

BellaBabyCakes Posted 20 May 2008 , 12:35am
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffer01

I have not had good results with the icing/decorations when frozen icon_cry.gif but i bet there are some cc'ers that have wonderful tips for better results.

I want to hear them as well! thumbs_up.gif

So it sounds like I'll have to do my decorating during the weeknights in order for it to turn out? Hmmm...darnit!

Ok Plan B (not that I have one) lol!

sparklynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklynne Posted 20 May 2008 , 12:52am
post #4 of 9

I am still learning when it comes to this stuff myself. However, we have had some very early unseasonal HOT weather. I had a order for a ladybug cake and 3 dozen fruit filling filled cupcakes all decorated in BC. Wouldn't you know it, it had to be delivered on the record breaking warmest day this year! icon_eek.gif Temp read 96 degree's the day before and news said it was to be warmer the next day! So I let the client know and told her that I wanted to try to fridge or freeze them if she wouldn't mind. She told me I could. I fridged my order first for several hours to make certain that the BC was firm. Then I froze my cakes out. It ended up working out great! I had no problem with the cakes and it saved me when it came to delivery. By the time I reached my destination they were thawed and the client was incredibly happy with the cakes. She phoned the next day to let me know how much her family enjoyed the cakes. Every cake is different because of decorations but I have learned that if I add the little details like the gumpaste decor last minute before I have to walk out the door, it is a life saver.
Hope this helps!
Good Luck! icon_smile.gif
Lynnette
Sparklynne
Everything's Sparklynne

jeffer01 Posted 20 May 2008 , 12:53am
post #5 of 9

Maybe not! I would bet there is someone out there that knows a trick to keep the icing from peeling off or from having condensation. Those were my 2 big problems.

If I see anything in my search I will pass it along....it would save so much time! I had tried freezing cupcakes (unfrosted) before with bad results. Then another CC'er posted a few tips and my next attempt was great icon_wink.gif . I now freeze extra cupcakes with success!!!!

So, hopefully someone will help us icon_lol.gif

BellaBabyCakes Posted 20 May 2008 , 12:56am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklynne

but I have learned that if I add the little details like the gumpaste decor last minute before I have to walk out the door, it is a life saver.
Hope this helps!
Good Luck! icon_smile.gif
Lynnette
Sparklynne
Everything's Sparklynne

So you're saying I could do most everything (sans border etc) ahead of time? How did you protect the cakes after they were decorated? I would be scared that wrapping in saran wrap etc would ruin the transfer...or can I fridge it, freeze it quick and THEN wrap?

I will have all nights open before the party, I just can't see myself doing ALL the decoration the night before....

sparklynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklynne Posted 20 May 2008 , 1:04am
post #7 of 9

What I have found is that once I have done my basic decorating to the cake, when I fridge it, it sets up fairly solid. You would have to put some pressure on the bc to mess it up really. I then take saran and loosely wrap the cake before I put it in the freezer. Since I am not looking to freeze it long term I have yet to have any real issues with it. (knock on wood) Since my client was a good family friend she was willing to let me try this out with her cake. I do know that if you pull cake from freezer and don't bring up the temp gradually then you can get the issues of the condensation etc. So I put my cake back in the fridge a few hours before I am bringing it out to deliver so that it is a more gradual warm up from its frozen state. I am not sure if that makes sense or not. There may be one of these seasoned pros out here that can tell you something better since I am still learning myself. Good Luck.
Sincerely
Lynnette
Sparklynne
Everything's Sparklynne

BellaBabyCakes Posted 20 May 2008 , 1:24am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklynne

I do know that if you pull cake from freezer and don't bring up the temp gradually then you can get the issues of the condensation etc. So I put my cake back in the fridge a few hours before I am bringing it out to deliver so that it is a more gradual warm up from its frozen state. I am not sure if that makes sense or not. ....
Sincerely
Lynnette
Sparklynne
Everything's Sparklynne

Makes perfect sense! icon_biggrin.gif Thank you so much for your help! I'm hoping to at least get the components done so all I'd have to do was put it together a couple nights or the night before to finish.

We shall see what happens! He won't hate me forever if I didn't bring a cake, would he? icon_rolleyes.gif

jeffer01 Posted 20 May 2008 , 2:06am
post #9 of 9

Wow, thank you so much! I have learned a couple of things tonight that I will try icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%