Orange Blossom Water-Anyone Use It?

Baking By aswartzw Updated 10 Jun 2008 , 8:13pm by Muse

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 19 May 2008 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 7

I've been greatly intrigued with orange blossom water and would like to try it in the WASC but have never used it. Has anybody used it and what is the verdict? Do you like it? Is it worth the $$? I would also use vanilla and almond so it won't make up all the flavorings.

6 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 20 May 2008 , 4:20am
post #2 of 7

I've used it before in both sugar cookies and cakes. I like using a tablespoon combined with some fresh orange zest for added citrus flavour. thumbs_up.gif

It wouldn't be my choice to mix it with almond extract (I really dislike that flavour) and/or vanilla, but I can see that it might match nonetheless. It's something that can stand on it's own though.

kristanskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanskakes Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 7

We use orange blossom water in a ganache at the chocolate shop where I work. I like to taste all the ingds. alone before tasting the final product. Alone orange blossom water tastes like soap. It's pretty strong. I agree that it woudln't be good with almond extract. We use it in a persian spiced ganache so maybe it would be good in something a little more "spiced."

rsdd108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsdd108 Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 7

I've only used it in a baklava recipe, so yeah, it definitly has an exotic-spicy flavor to it. I don't know about vanilla and almond, but it goes well with cinnamon.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 10:31pm
post #5 of 7

IMO

Orange definitely does not go with almond. Almond is better with apple or berry flavors, even cherry (although they're almost the same to me).

Orange does go well with chocolate.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

kristanskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanskakes Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:04am
post #6 of 7

Orange blossom water doean't taste like orange. Come to think of it, our "spicy" ganache is paired with an almond marzipan so... maybe, maybe not, who knows.

Muse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muse Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 8:13pm
post #7 of 7

I use orange blossom water and rosewater occasionally in cakes and sometimes buttercream. Never a lot, but just enough to leave an interesting hint. Both are usually used in Middle Eastern cooking. I assume tastes are just different across the ocean. In the UK, from what I've read, they use flower flavored/scented ingredients pretty often, ie elderflower, lavender, etc...

Darci

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%